Need to go to vets, but now, or can it wait?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad to hear things are looking up today! Did the vet not feel the need to replace the stitches? Also, I thought I read that bunnies shouldn't have green beans :ponder:...

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Also, I thought I read that bunnies shouldn't have green beans :ponder:...

Shiloh, you are correct about this. Although, I used to give my first bun one or two out of a can before I cooked them cuz he loved them knowing they shouldn't have them:embarrassed:. They can just cause some gas.

I'm so happy and relieved to hear Chalk is doing better today! I was quite worried about her.

I watch the gassy causing things myself. I give maybe a tiny little nibble of broccoli if they are all feeling well - normal poos etc.

Bo has tiny poos...... CILANTRO TO THE RESCUE!!!

Green beans aren't ok?!!?!! :shock:

I found them on a safe list on www.houserabbit.co.uk which is the website for the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund, on the information leaflets there ages ago, they've been getting them just occasionally for months now, only a few at a time. They love them, and there's never been any signs of gas/funny poo.... :?

Chalk's doing so well today! We're keeping a very close eye on her still, but she's been eating the food by herself as soon as it goes down, and lots of hay too.... We had all the bunnies out in the garden earlier and she was running about doing lots of binkies! I'm not sure how much of a good idea it is to let her run about so soon after surgery but she just looked so happy, and now that they can finally go out in the garden I thought it might cheer her up a bit! Plus the vet said that even though she's managed to pull out all of her stitches the wound is still looking really good, and having checked it a couple of times today it looks fine...

Gosh, I'm all worried about the green beans now... We never gave them to SnowBarn, as they seem to have sensitive stomachs, but Mouse and Chalk have never had funny poo with any veg we've given them, I don't know if maybe they are just more adjusted to them as we started early or something.... :?

Jen xx

I haven't commented on this thread yet but NO GREEN BEANS? Lottie gets green beans alot (its one of her main, cabbage, brocolli, green beans!). I've never had any problems. I also saw it on the house rabbit website! :?

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

EDIT: Now i'm confused... when you say 'green beans' are bad do you mean runner beans? Thats what Lottie gets. I don't know if there is an american/english difference?

Ok Crystal, so if the green beans don't cause them any gas or any problems, are they ok to feed in moderation still? They don't get tons of them, but they do like a munch every now and then- I eat loads of them lol! Mouse and Chalk seem to have very hardy stomachs, apart from Chalk's problems that is lol- *knocks on wood*

Fran, I mean the 'fine' or 'dwarf' beans, as they're known over here.... they look like this:

imgres
332.jpg

I've never fed runner beans, I wasn't sure if they were ok or not?

Chalk's doing great still! She was out in the garden with the other 3 yesterday, and did binkies by the dozen! We've reduced her Metacam dose last night to see how she does, but she's been stuffing her face with veggies and hay, not many pellets just yet but that took a while last time... Her wound still looks really good and no lumps as yet...

We're due to go back to the vets on Saturday to get the stitches out, if there's any left! :)

Thanks guys!

Green beans, cabbage, cauliflowers, broccoli, brussels sprouts can cause some bunnies a gassy incident. i guess that they are in the safe veggies list which you mention probably because they are not unsafe per se, and can cause gas problems only to some buns, not all of them. However, I've seen them listed as safe, BUt with a notation as far as gas is concerned. I don't ever give any of them to my bun, because he has had tummy trouble in the past, so I avoid anything that could cause any potential problems.

Marietta

Oh gosh, Jen, I dreamed last night that I was reading RO and you updated the thread to say that Chalkie died! I'm so relieved to know that isn't true, thank goodness she's safe and happy and getting better. Also, sorry to freak you out with the green beans! I'd think if they've handled them well in the past and you aren't feeding them 40 beans at a time, they should be okay. Though maybe with Chalk's recovering gut, you should hold off? I'm sure it's fine though :) Rory has never had any health issues and eats broccoli and cauliflower just fine, but I'd never have fed it to Tallulah because of all her issues.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Oh gosh, Jen, I dreamed last night that I was reading RO and you updated the thread to say that Chalkie died! I'm so relieved to know that isn't true, thank goodness she's safe and happy and getting better. Also, sorry to freak you out with the green beans! I'd think if they've handled them well in the past and you aren't feeding them 40 beans at a time, they should be okay. Though maybe with Chalk's recovering gut, you should hold off? I'm sure it's fine though :) Rory has never had any health issues and eats broccoli and cauliflower just fine, but I'd never have fed it to Tallulah because of all her issues.
Gosh, what a dream Shiloh! :hug: I'm happy to report, that luckily, Chalk is still very much alive. :) She's been in the garden all afternoon and evening with the rest of the buns, and you should see the binkies she's done! We've just given her the antibiotics and Metacam, the reduced dose still, and she sure hates me for them, but seems to be doing fine on the lower dose.

The green beans thing, I don't know, they've only ever had like 3 or 4 between them at once, and it's not very often, just when we have them in and I can spare them! So since they've never had any troubles with them, I guess I'll still feed them in moderation, especially since they seem to like them a lot! I probably wont get any more in until we get the all-clear for Chalk, just to be on the safe side. She's never had so much as an excess cecal where digestive problems are concerned *again, knock on wood* but I love my little baby and don't want to take chances...

Also, her Baytril is due to end tomorrow, so I'm gonna call the vets and see if they want it to stop or give us some more... I see no sign of abscesses again as yet... Fingers crossed that I don't either!

mouse_chalk wrote:
SnowyShiloh wrote:
The green beans thing, I don't know, they've only ever had like 3 or 4 between them at once, and it's not very often, just when we have them in and I can spare them! So since they've never had any troubles with them, I guess I'll still feed them in moderation, especially since they seem to like them a lot!

Shiloh, I see nothing wrong with feeding green beans in moderation. I know this is not normal protocol, but I fed my first bun one or two in moderation, very irregularly, mind you, with no problems;). So, if they love them, I say go for it.

Glad to hear the abcesses are gone too! Though, in the chance they come back no baytril. I would go for something stronger for sure.:)

That's ok then, glad that's been cleared up, thanks Shiloh and Crystal! Green beans aren't like their favourite food, but they do like them, they always get eaten, as opposed to lettuce that gets left...

But yeah, hopefully the abscesses wont come back, but if they do, I'll be pushing for our vet to use much stronger antibiotics... He said that it was possible, and he certainly seemed open to it being tried. I think that the reason he wanted to avoid it if possible is that I'm not sure that over here they will let clients to sub-q injections at home, so Chalk would have to visit the vets everyday, and although it's only a 3 minute car ride, it's still stressful for her.... But will be a small price to pay if it comes to it! :)

Chalk's still doing AMAZINGLY well, I'm just so happy she's better! She's given us both such a fright, and we know that we are so lucky to have her with us still, causing mischief for a long time to come I hope... She bit my hand through the towel the other night when we tried to give her meds, and bruised it! All I could do was kiss her little head and tell her I loved her, because it's so nice to see her with so much energy again lol! :p

Im so glad to hear Chalk is still doing ok!

I was just reading through my old thread when Max was so sick with a horrible tooth root abscess- I had almost forgot how stressful and heartbreaking it is to watch your little one go through that.

I'll be thinking of Chalk and praying for her to continue to be abscess free!

Oh my goodness, I've just read through both of Chalk's 2 blogs. That poor little girl has been through so much. I'm so happy to read that she is doing much better.

You guys both did a great job of taking care of your little girl.

Susan:)

Latest posts

Back