Need to get Pow Wow back on Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to make a long story short. Ha ha.

Pow wow has been fighting wry neck and for the last 8 days, the only thing she's been eating has been spring mix, cilantro, iceburg lettuce (for the water in it) and baby carrots. It was what I could get into her and she'd been off pellets for a bit 'cause she'd been in GI stasis and we were focusing on hay. Oh - she is eating some hay now too.

Problem is...while she's pooping and peeing just fine...she needs to put back some of her weight. She's not skin and bones...yet....but she lost some weight at first and she needs to put it back on.

When I try to handfeed her a pellet or two - she takes it in her teeth and then throws it back at me. Yeah..bunnitude.

When I put them in front of her (she now can manage to stand and feed herself if she likes the food) - she knocks them over (on purpose) or trys to throw it at me if she picks one up.

So my questions are..

a. How do I safely get a bit more weight back on her?

b. How do I get her back on her pellets? I really don't want to remove her greens and carrots cause she's doing so well on them..

Peg

Sounds like a funny bunny:biggrin2:.

Do you have more than one kind of pellet? Maybe try another kind if you do. Maybe make them smell like crasiens?:) Leave some in her cage and maybe when you're not around she'll eat some.

As far as getting weight on her, that's a toughy without giving her junk. If she starts actually eating the pellets (I'm assuming alfalpha?), that may help.;)

For putting weight back on her, what about nutrical? Or will she take pellet slurry?

I would think maybe you could go to pellet slurry and then gradually put less and less water in the pellets? I did that for Max after the tooth surgery. He went from critical care to pellet slurry to moist pellets to regular pellets.

Im so glad shes doing better!

Latest posts

Back