Need tips on how to handle train Riley

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horselvrkc

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I reallly need help with Riley... since I got him from a pet store he is not human trained. I have had him for 3 days and when ever i go up to him when he is roaming around, he runs away. I have many scratches on my arms from picking him up and then when ever i go to put him back on the ground or in the cage, he struggles like crazy! I need help on how to earn his trust, being this ismy first rabbit.

PS. Sorry for all those who wanted pictures, I cannot find the camera I need to plug into the computer! I will soon though! *Hopefully*

Thanks for all your help! Its awesome to be amongst all these rabbit experts!!

Hi,

Have you had a chance yet to browse around the Bunny 101 section or the Rabbit Cheat Sheet within that section? There is a lot of good information about behavior there.

It can take quite a while to earn a bunnies trust. Generally, you just have to lay on the floor with them each day and let them come to you until they seem comfortable, and then slowly start to try to pet them. Most bunnies don't like being held and some don't really even like to be handled/petted. They are each different.

Also, I have buns who still struggle when I have to hold them for some reason such as nail clipping even though they trust me. I had to learn the best ways to hold them so that they feel secure and then they generally settle down.

If he is young and came from a pet store he probably needs his nails clipped. I'm sure they are quite sharp. :)

Last but not least, try as best you can to make it possible for him to come in and out of his cage on his own. When you need to get him in or out, try luring him out with a treat. That works for me. It's much better to let them come in and out on their own.

I'd write more, but I'm going to bed :) Also, I would just browse through old threads on similar subjects. You'll find lots of great information!

Have you found out what might be causing him to limp? If he's never had his nails clipped and they are overgrown that could cause him to appear as though he's limping.

Cara

You need to keep in mind that rabbits are prey animals so by picking them up you are sending them into their natural response to it which is try to get away.

Some (very rare) rabbits like being held. A large number learn to tolerate it. And the rest hate it and always will.

Most rabbits scratch when you pick them up, whether it's intentional or not. Out of my 4, one tolerates being handled really well, one tolerates it but you have to hold him just right and he gets so excited to get put back down that he scratches me every time anyways, the other 2 hate being picked up and struggle quite a bit if you hold them for more than a minute or 2, both of them have very sharp nails and nearly always give me a few more scratches to add to my collection.

Keep in mind that continually picking up a rabbit that really dislikes it may not work in your favour, it may make the rabbit skittish from the get go and likely to run from you or not allow you to pet it if it's afraid you'll pick it up instead.

While I think handling rabbits is very important to make nail cutting, scent gland cleaning, check ups, etc. easier, you have to be careful not to make it something a rabbit fears.

If the rabbit is scratching you and you don't have an option other than to pick it up, then wear a long sleeved shirt and keep the rabbits nails trimmed. The unfortunate truth is you can't stop from being scratched, your an animal owner and that animal has nails so it will inevitably happen.

Do not worry about having to bond with your new bunny right away. You need to let him adjust to you and his new surroundings. Try to be careful about not startling him. Speak to him in a soft voice and give his greens to him from your hands. While he's eating it, you can slowly reach out and pet his head softly. You might want to limit his space when he runs around the time that you bond with him. You can try to shake a bag of treats to get him to run to you. Hehehe. Just don't feed him too many, especially if he is young. When you go see him, it is a good idea to say his name so picks up on it more quickly. Before you know it you'll be fighting him off you :p

I have a rabbit which loves to be handled but like MyBabyBunnies has said, this IS RARE. Bunny 101 is the best read but I thought I might share with you, a little about my bun Lila.
My first bun Lila really hated to be picked up.

This is what I did.
Firstly I did not pick her unless I had to, ie nails etc. When I had do her nails, I wrapped her up firmly like a bunny burrito, so she could not hurt herself or me.

I got down to her level, sat on the floor and held out little treats like dandelion etc for her to tempt her to come near me.

I talked a lot to her, a kind of bunny babble which she would listen to for hours. Even while I was pottering around the house.

Lila came to me in the end, although much patience was required. Eventually after weeks of offering her treats, she stood still enough for me to briefly pet her head. After months I was able to stroke her head and ears. She needed a long time filled with gentle approaches before she would even consider being friends.

I gave Lila a nice place to sleep, minimal disturbances, some toys and daily 1 to 2 hours with me hanging around offering treats etc. She had space to get away but a chance to come closer if she wanted to.
She never was a bunny that enjoyed human company much, she was from a pet shop too.
She despised the cats, the children, my partner and towards the end of her life, she only just started to come to me when I called.
I miss her so much that I wish she had been around for a bit longer so we could have bonded more. I may have done a few things differently too. She was my "heart bunny" and I can say that even though the bun I have now is madly over affectionate and demands regular attention. So they are all different.
Different personalities, previous experiences but one main consistency...you can't force them to be loving if they won't have it....lol:D

Thanks, I have been lying on the ground a lot. He always comes up to me, and sniffs my hands, (sometimes my face,) and puts his 2 front paws on me. Iunderstand it just might take awhile!

When i first got bunbuns he was exactly like that.. struggling and stuff.. For about 2 weeks i lay down on the floor and let him come up to me by himself. He now gives me bunny kisses!!:p:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back