Need Support

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
So after 8 months of searching for work in my area, I've resigned to the fact that I have to move for work. Now after opening up my search area is looks like I am moving 3 hours south, nothing is on paper yet but I'd say as of right now it's a 95% chance that I'm moving before November.

I've been looking diligently for housing that will allow me to bring my rabbits with me. I've had very little luck but I have finally found a place that will allow me to bring only two of them with me. I'm at a loss of what to do.

I've had to face the fact that my only options are sneaking Chase in and risk being caught or rehoming him. I've had him for 3 years now and it's heart breaking to think of him ending up with a stranger that may completely neglect him. :(

I just needed to vent a little.

Hi, sorry to hear this. Is the place you are moving to a private home or a apartment building?

When I moved I didn't tell them I had pets/rabbits until the day i picked up my keys. I know here in Ontario even if the lease agreement says no pets they cannot evict you. Unless they are a danger to other tenants ie wild dogs, snakes...

My Super didn't care and neither did the Property Manager.

Honestly I'd sneak him in to your apartment. Just make sure they are caged when you are not home, protect the carpets, base boards etc. What I did was go to the dollar store, I bought a bunch of cheap shower liners put them on the carpet then put a large throw rug over it.

If they tend to have accidents buy the puppy pads and cover those with old sheets or pillow cases. Honestly it can be done. Until Buttercup passed way 2 weeks ago I had 4 in a 2 bedroom apartment.

I keep their litter very clean so their is never a smell. The only thing I'm careful with is bringing up the bulk hay which a friend gets for me, so I put it in the big brown garden bags, and thelitter also. I tend to bring it up later in the evening when it's not so busy/.

Oh i hope you can keepChase, he's such a lovely bunny.

Hugs:hug2:

Susan

In Alberta they have every right to deny you or evict you if you have more pets than you disclosed or if they don't allow pets.

My major concern is if they need access to my apartment, I'm moving to a city where I know no one so cannot hide him at a friends for a day or two if I needed.

I'm not worry about destruction. At least as far as Mocha and Zoey go, they don't chew or dig and are litter trained. Chase is a different story but bunnies would not be allowed out of cages unless I was there anyways. I was thinking of finding a carpet spot cleaner anyways to clean up accidents but that's only a concern with Chase.

I have to keep them clean too, I suffer from allergies so that's not a problem. And as for litter and stuff, that's not an issue either since they already know about 2.

I think they can tell you to get rid of the extra pet, but they can't evict you without giving you a warning first.

A carrier under the bed works wonders during inspections. No barking or meowing and the rabbit feels like he's in a burrow, very cozy!

I'm in a no-pets building here in BC with 14 rabbits and a cat. :)

Sorry you have to move tho. Wotta pain.

sas :(

Here in NJ they have to give you 24 hours notice if they need access to your unit.

A lot of vets will board pets for the day.

:pray:

Thanks guys. I feel better. I think I will try something like putting him in a kennel in a big box (lots of airflow) and put him on a shelf in a closet if need be, that way he's hidden from view but can still have airflow around him with the top of the box open and hopefully the darker environment would keep him quiet, lol. I will also look into pet boarding or maybe I can find someone in Calgary who could take him for a day if need be.

I looked up the tenant act for Alberta and it doesn't address the issue of the limitation of the number of pets, it only addresses whether pets or no pets are allowed.

So have you decided to take all 3 with you when you move?

And when's the big day that you start your new job?

Susan:)

I haven't signed a lease yet so until that happens I won't know if all 3 are coming.

I start work on November 2.

Hi MBB, Happy New Year to you.

So I take you have moved to Calgary already. How's that going? Did you end up taking all the bunnies with you? Are they indoor bunnies now? Are they liking being inside? I bet you like it more. I love having my Munchkins inside with me even though it can get slightly :confused2:messy with the hay.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hey! Yes I've moved. My living situation isn't permanent right now though and the bunnies are still with my parents.

I'm hoping to have a place of my own and bunnies will come down in the next 2-3 months. I do bring them in to play every weekend when I'm home though and I just love it.

How are things with you?

That's great that you will be getting your own place. What's the rent prices like in Calgary? I'm in Ajax just outside of Toronto I pay $1014 a month for a 2 bedroom. Heat & Hydro included.

BUT it's not a great building which I did not know when I rented it. I have aPharaoh ant problem that I have been dealing with for a year. I have now decided after many many letters that I am contacting many government agencies, my town mayor & councillors, news papers, tv stations..... I'm so fed up with these idiots where I live. Moving isn't a option at this time. I'm sure you know how expensive it is to move. I really wish I could move. Until I get a better paying job ( I won't even discuss that) I gotta stay here. IF ANY OF MY AMERICAN FRIENDS KNOW AF ANY GOOD PRODUCT TO GET RID OF THE ANTS PLEASE PM ME.

The bunnies are all good now, Daisy Mae had a very bad UTI about 2 months ago and Winston had a foot problem which seems to be better. Vega is a real sweetheart.

No love life. lol Haven't figured Out where to meet a nice 50 something SINGLEgentleman. Do you know any? lol

Good luck with yourmove, I bet you can hardly wait to get those bunnies living with you.

I thought I'd give an update on the situation here and it's good!

I just signed a lease for a basement suite, it's newly renovated, close to my work, and they will allow 2 of my bunnies! I had every intent of sneaking Chase in because, come on, they wouldn't even know the difference. But my boyfriend and his mother took Chase while my family was on holidays and they have fallen head over heels for him. Chase and my boyfriend have bonded like I never have been able to with him (I love him, but we haven't got special connection). So they are going to keep caring for Chase! That way Chase gets a ton of attention that he deserves and I don't have to worry about hiding Chase if the landlord comes over. But don't worry, Chase is my bunny, and always will be my bunny and will come live with me if he should have to. I'm SUPER excited to not only have Mocha and Zoey with me, but to have my own space and not have to cringe at the mess left by my 2 male roommates.

BTW Susan, rent here is rather extreme if you want to stay in a decently safe neighborhood. But I found this place (1 bedroom, just renovated, first person to live in it since, brand new fixtures and appliances) for $1150 including all utilities. I just have to pay cable/internet. It's really close to 2 LRT stations (but that doesn't help because my work isn't downtown) and close to grovery stores and Walmart. Older neighborhood, not the nicest but it's decent and very close to where I live right now. It's also very close to downtown. Rental vacancies are low here, Calgary is still booming (it never really stopped).

Fortunately for me, moving isn't that expensive. My parents own an SUV and a trailer so they are helping me move, all my furniture had been given to me over the years and stored in family members' garages, lol. My parents have been saving old dishes and stuff for ages so basically my only cost is the cost of gas so I'm really lucky there! Although I do have to find some good storage solutions because this apartment is REALLY low on storage space - I guess I'll be going to Ikea, lol.

Latest posts

Back