Need Suggestions for Brushes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
Okay, gang, here I am again ...:?. My Sherman is shedding EVERYWHERE ..In fact, he seems to be shedding more than he did thissummer. Unfortunately, he HATES slicker brushes and refusesto allow me to get even one stroke in. The soft-bristled babybrush that I use on him simply grooms the fur; it doesn'tremove the excess.

Anbody have any suggestions for this problem? I KNOW that hemust be swallowing a lot of loose fur and I'm afraid that he might geta hair ball.

He's REALLY shedding on his bottom where he scoots back against thecage bars. When I go to pull out shed hair I pull it out inclumps back there. :(

Oh, the life of a bunny mommy ... it never ends ...

P.S. I can't blame him for not wanting to be brushed withthat slicker brush. I'm sure that his skin is sensitive and Ican see how it could be scratching him when I brush him, even when Ibrush lightly.

I have several brushes and I like 2 thebest. Bo has been molting so bad. He's almost done,but when I used these brushes it helped so much!

First I brush him forward and backward (which he loves!) with a cheap,pink, hartz brush with tight bristles that have white tips. Iam trying to find a photo, it's got an angled flat head. Itseems to loosen a bunch of the fur.

Then I use this. There are other types of ZOOM GROOM brushes that work as well, but Bo likes this best.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441780643&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033730&bmUID=1102336380248

Then I use the pink brush again. I couldn't believe how muchhair came off the first time I did this. Bo had huge "holes"of missing hair. (there was new hair coming in tho)

He's beautiful now :) Except for a bit of molting on hislower body, he's completely shed out and his hair is in and twice asthick as before :)

Thanks, Bo B Bunny! This is VERY helpful! :D

I plan on making a run to PetSmart today. I think that I'mgoing to pick up that brush that you illustrated. It would beperfect -- both releasing the shed hair and giving him amassage. Then I can follow up with his soft-bristled brush.

He'll be in bunny heaven! :dude:

I sat with Elf on my lap for an HOUR yesterday onthe porch doing my motherly duty of helping with all that sheddinghair. My four year old swept as I brushed (I use the pink brush you'retalking about too)

3431319.jpg

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is out there doing this. My husbandlooks at me funny LOL. Luckily, Elf really loves for me to help withthe shedding process. The rest of her fur has come in thick andbeautiful...but that hiney of hers still looks a little tattered. Ithink I'll be porch-sitting a little later today as well. :D
keyboard_dust_bunny_jumping_hg_clr.gif

There aregrooming gloves that grip thehair -- you can sittherepetting your bunn and groomat the same time. Don't brush the coat backwards -- somerabbits find this very uncomfortable. Alsoverycommonly used is simply a wet towel to wipe the coat and remove loosehairs.

Pam

YES! elf mommy! that's it! He LOVESthat brush ..... I mean LOVES it. He will let me brush hishair with that one all day long! I think it's the gentlescratch to it. I am very gentle with that brush when I useit. The other one I get down to the nitty gritty with LOL!

Do any of your bunnies like being brushed backwards? from the butt tothe head? Bo absoluletly melts (and flops) when I do that!

Bo's got this little "ruffle" of longer fur all around his hips andjust at his belly line.... it's so funny..... I'll be glad when that'sdone.

Oh and he has a spot of hair missing at the top of his head where his little curly Q is coming back in..... it's funny!

pamnock wrote:
There aregrooming gloves that grip the hair -- youcan sittherepetting your bunn and groom at the sametime. Don't brush the coat backwards -- some rabbitsfind this very uncomfortable. Alsovery commonlyused is simply a wet towel to wipe the coat and remove loose hairs.

Pam
OMG bo loves this! :?

We've had buns that didn't mind be vacuumed. Some did, some didn't, but might be worth a try.

Regardless of the type of brush you use, a comb swathed through thebrush usually cleans it in one pass. I often end a groomingsession with a combing using "both" sides of the comb...coarse, thenfine.

Buck

Okay .... * breathing hard and out of breath* ... :(. I just got back from Petsmartwhere I spent a SHAMEFUL $50... .Not only did I get the Zoom Groom brush that Bo B Bunny recommended,but I got thegrooming gloves that Pam recommended, a fleacomb, and a bunch of other stuff.

When I clipped Sherman's nails the other day I just used a pair ofregular toenail clippers. Tonight Igot thecutest pair of bunny cliippers shaped like a bunny! Igot him some of his favorite yogurt dips, some litter pan liners ...oh, I can't remember everything!

I just saw a streak go past in my peripheral view ... He's doingsomething that he's not supposed to and sneaking around in the hopesthat I don't see it.

Ungrateful bunny! :X

P.S. Will let you know how the new brush works.

EVERYBODY!!!!!! EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!! RUN... DO NOT WALK ... TO YOUR NEAREST PETSMART AND GET ONE OF THESE ZOOMGROOM BRUSHES!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S THE ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!

Sherman LOVES this thing! He started grooming ME as I wasusing it and kept nudging me to keep going when I would stop.And you should SEE the volume of shed hair it brushed off ofhim. It gave him a really soothing massage too. Icould have done ANYTHING to him when I finished brushing him and hewouldn't have cared.

I think that I spent $5.99 for this brush and IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're having problems with a shedding bunny, then Bo B Bunny hasgiven us theanswer!!!!!!!!!

LOL it's good to have several options. Plus, a different brush here and there is a nice change of "grooming" for them.

I just used a different zoom groom brush on bo cause I hadn't used thatkind in a few days...... I have bunny fur up my nose, in my diet coke,on the computer screen...... *sigh*

Pam, you're going to LOVE it!

The grip that it has is so comfortable too and it's angled so that your wrist doesn't get worn out so fast.

I had the same problem with Spice a while back.Luckily I decided to use what I already had. I used to horseback rideand I have all the brushes, so now I use a soft bristled rubber brush(hair sticks to the bristles so it works well) and to shine the coat upafter I use a soft bristled normal brush (much like the brush you weretalking about that didn't remive the hair). It's not as good as aslicker brush, but both me and Spice are happier now-- until next shed.;)

Get the brush in the photo..... it's really not aZOOM GROOM, they are a flat rubber brush with no handle. Ijust call that one a zoom groom too LOL.

The one you got, like mine, is so much nicer because the bristles(rubber) are not as long as the cat or dog zoom groom...... it's easieron the bunnies and it still does the job and they do love itLOL!

Find them in your Cat department.

Here is a cute photo my daughter took tonight. Look at hishind quarters... you can see where there is an oval right at the placewhere his tummy and hip meet. That is longer hair..... thenlook towards his rump. Around his tail is longer hairtoo. Oh and see the little light patch right in front of hisears..... it's a place where he shed a whole spot too LMAO!

Believe me when I say this..... he shed his entire back in a couple of days.... those brushes helped him so much!

Yes, yes ... I got the one for which Bo sent a link. This is the BEST brush.

It's the Easy Groom with Grip Cat Rubber Brush. :)

Another suggestion is the Slick N Easy block. Although, I don't know how well they work on rabbits.

I met these little handy blocks when I was riding horses. They arehandy for removing bot fly eggs from the horses legs and they get thehair off really well. I'm assuming since they are safe to use on ahorses legs, a bunny should be no problem.

I'm not sure how they will like them, they are hard blocks that looklike sponges. I'm thinking of trying one of Spice because he sheds sobad in the spring!

slickneasy.jpg

BunnyMommy wrote:
Sherman LOVES this thing! He started groomingME as I was using it and kept nudging me to keep going when I wouldstop. And you should SEE the volume of shed hairit brushed off of him. It gave him a really soothing massagetoo. I could have done ANYTHING to him when Ifinished brushing him and he wouldn't have cared.

ALRIGHT Who are you and what have you done with our Sherman??? :X

Raspberry

LOL! She's right tho. They lay thereand you could almost trim their nails and they would be like "ok, canyou use the brush again too?"

Back