Need some kind thoughts this way.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
This is going to turn into a rant, because as much as I know I shouldn't, I hate my family. I am under a lot of stress, throw in a bit of depression, and yeah, my family just ticks me off. I will bold the main point of this... Once I find it, that is...

Ugh. I really am starting to dislike the holidays with my family. I'll set the scene, my mom's family normally gets together for Thanksgiving. My aunt Mary and her three kids (and their spouses/children) are ditching my poor Grandma this Thanksgiving. I am only one of Five grandkids. They are the only grandkids who have their own kids. Long story short, Thanksgiving was only going to be with my Grandma, Grandpa, my mum, my aunt Debbie/Uncle Joe, and possibly their son Aaron and his new wife, Angela. Will and I are going to be there, too. So, the family get-together went from nineteen to nine.

Now, for the kicker. My Grandpa's knee went out this past weekend. He is going in for surgery today. I am going to be leaving in a few hours to go to the hospital with my mum to keep my Grandma company. My Grandma is 79, and her health hasn't been going well this year. She had a pulmonary embolsm this summer (blood clot in lung) and has had pretty much every joint in her legs replaced over the last ten years... My grandpa is in his upper-70's as well, but overall has been rather healthy. He had skin cancer over a decade ago, had his first knee replaced after much delay, survived a heart attack last year and was fitted with a pacemaker, and now this. My Grandpa is a tough man (he was a Marine in the Korean War - Chosin Reservoir), and I hate to see him in pain and miserable. After his first knee surgery, he stopped smiling. It's very rare to see him laugh or smile. He only pulls his cheeks back enough so his lips smile. No big-toothed grin or anything. It's been about ten years since his last knee surgery. I would love to see him smile again.

My other cousins all think he is too harsh (ex. My oldest cousin, Josh, wore a baseball hat to Thanksgiving dinner last year, and my Grandpa snatched it off of his head after asking him to remove it twice). My Grandpa is from a very formal family. He still wears suit-jackets and fancy hats to most events that we "dress up" and wear khaki pants to. I love my Grandpa so much, and I am just getting sick of the rest of my family not caring. My half-sisters don't even talk to them anymore, after they took them in as their own grandkids for over fifteen years (we share our dad, the Grandpa I am talking about is on my mom's side).

Anyways, long story (too late!) short, I am going to the hospital today to visit with my mom and Grandma while my Grandpa is in surgery. I am wishing him a speedy recovery and hope some healing vibes will be sent his way.

Thank you.

I'm sorry for what your grandpa is going through. I totally understand the whole family thing. They can suck big time sometimes. He is in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. :hug:

Respect your elders springs to mind. It sounds like this is a traditional man, probably a man who should have a lot of respect. It's good that you give it to him, and it's a shame that others don't. That will mean that you are extra special to him, and he will really appreciate your company at the hospital, I'm sure. He's very lucky to have you (and vice versa obviously).

I hope that this knee op is less stressful on him and his body and that he finds his smile again.

Thinking of you both.

x

I am so glad that you are there for your grandparents... I wish mine were still around. Life is to short. as for the other grandkids one day they will regret not being there for them... Your grandpa sounds like I would like him...I am sending prayers for a speedy recovery.

Your grandpa sounds like my dad. He was a very mannerly gentleman, and treated others with respect. He also had knee replacement, which seems to be a very trying surgery due to the amount of pain, the side effects of anesthesia, and the long recovery time. You are a blessing to your family, and your grandpa will especially appreciate the time, love and attention that you are willing to share with him. We will certainly keep him, your grandma, you, and all of those who are supporting him in this time in our thoughts and prayers.

Well, I just got back from the hospital about an hour ago. He's not feeling so good. When I arrived, I met up with my grandma right away (10:00AM). He had just gotten out of surgery and was in recovery. We waited for another hour or so (I ran up to the floor where Urology is and gave my sister her birthday card (she's a nurse on that floor). When I came back down to the waiting area, my grandpa was going to be moved to his recovery room, so we had to toodle across the hospital to the recovery area (there is no direct way to get from one point to another at this hospital). When we got there, he wasn't in the room. A few minutes later, he was wheeled in. He was in a LOT of pain. He kept saying how terrible the pain was, then he's fall asleep. He was on a morphine drip. We were there for about 20 minutes, then he told my grandma and I to go get ourselves some lunch. We walked down the street (which takes awhile, my grandma has both hips and knees replaced...) and got lunch at a diner. When we got back, he was snoring like a baby. I guess the nurses got sick of hearing him crab on about the pain, so they gave him a "good cocktail" and he fell asleep. My grandma and I left after that, because we wanted him to rest. I think I am going to stop in on Thursday (their house is close to the hospital). I will be at grandma's for turkey day anyways, so I think I will stop in and keep grandpa some company.

Thank you everyone, for your kind thoughts :)

Sorry I didn't catch your thread earlier to offer good thoughts for the surgery, but at least I am able to wish him speedy recovery. I am sure he will appreciate anything you do for him because you care for him with your heart.

:pray:for fast healing and the will to smile again.

myheart

I think Flashy said everything that I think too (if that makes sense )

I hope your grandpa starts to feel better very soon. Knees are awkward things to fix, so it's understandable he is in pain.

kudos to you for being there for both him and your grandma.

Jan

Well, Thanksgiving just wasn't Thanksgiving without Grandpa there. It didn't feel like Thanksgiving with half my family missing, either.

This is what our roster SHOULD HAVE been
- Grandma/Grandpa
- 2 Aunts, 2 Uncles
- 4 cousins (three have spouses)
- 2 second-cousins
- my mom/dad
- Will & I

This was our turnout:
- Grandma
- 1 Aunt/Uncle
- NO COUSINS
- My mum
- Will & I
- My aunt's foreign exchange student

My dad didn't even show up. Not that it ticks me off that he wasn't there (he's a jerk) but it makes me mad that he doesn't care. If that makes sense?

ANYWAYS, my grandpa is doing well. He will be released from the hospital tomorrow. He isn't going home yet, though. He has to go to a rehab center so he can learn to do his knee exercises and such. I think he will be staying there for a week. After that, he can go home and heal there. His little doggy, Tinker, misses him so much. She's a little pomeranian/maltese/papillion mix, so a tiny little thing with a big soft spot for Grandpa.

Latest posts

Back