Need Some Help with Rabbit-Decision

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nes

Reaction score
I don't know what to do...

I orignally bought Cagney and Lacy as breeding does, I'm not breeding them now but I plan to in the future. I just got word back from my breeder that after bugging her for 8 months for them! I'm not getting pedigrees for the girls... (yeah I won't be buying any more rabbits from her).

Now I don't know what to do. We've got too many rabbits (3), but the big thing is that now that abi is a boy we don't really have room for 2 cages.

So do I keep Cagney and Lacy? or have Abi neutered and keep him?

Cagney & Lacy are very sweet but they were barn raised and they are not the friendliest of rabbits, on the other hand abi is the sweetest boy ever! but he's of no use to me for breeding.

I can't show bunnies from an unpedigreed doe right? even though they would be purebred?

I hate having this decision come down to what makes financial sense for us, but as much as I love cagney & lacy they were an investment, and that investment just fell thru...

Nes.

show rabbits are unlike dogs, you don't have to prove parentage by a pedigree to show them. all it means is that you cannot register them (you also don't have to reg. your rabbits to show them), but you will have a harder time selling the babies to anything but a pet home because they wouldn't have a pedigree. IMO, i would not breed rabbits without a pedigree unless the type was so great that it would improvemy heardmore then ifi used one of my pedigreed animals or if i couldn't find another breeder with a rabbit that matched in type as the unpedigreed animal in question.

nobody can tell you if you shouldrehome one (or 2)of your rabbits, but if you bought them as breeding does, and you don't have room to keep all 3 adult rabbits, then how were you going to breed and have enough room for the babies?

I wasn't going to breed until we bought a house (in march).

I remember now that I can't register them; and I agree I'm not going to breed to produce pet rabbits there are too many already. This really sucks.

Nes.

:cry2 I would be giving the girls up to a rescue agency since they appear to be pregnant, and I know they would go to good homes... but they are my pets
:tears2:

Nes.

Nes,

How can you even think about giving them up for no real reason?I dont understand why you cant just adopt out the litters when they are born, have Abigail (orAbe :D)neutered, and keep all three. You might even be able to bond the three of them after the pregancies/neuter and this would make your life a lot easier.

I can understand if you want to be able to show or breed rabbits in the fufture, but I cannot understand just giving up your pet for no reason.

If you absolutely cannot keep them, I think you should really try and find them homes yourself, either through this website or petfinder or a local rabbit rescue. Just dropping them off at a shelter could be fatal for them and their babies. They deserve a loving home with someone who wants them, and if you cannot give them that, you should at least try yourself to find someone who can.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I just remember your previous posts about how in the past you were not a very responsible pet owner and you wanted to be for these buns you have now, and now you want to give them away? I guess it just makes me a little sad :(

-Haley

I don't want to give them away!!! My boyfriend does!!!

He loves the rabbits too, but not like I do. I was looking at rabbit sanctuaries to give them too or else I'll find them homes myself. I've no idea what I'm going to do with them.

We do have a real reason(s):

The apartment is too small
They smell
We have alot of pets
They cost too much money

Trust me, it makes me REALLY sad to think of giving them up, but it might be the best thing for us. I don't know what's going to happen - I'm definetly going to think about it for a few days at least.

If I do give them up they will be spayed and found great new homes where they can live out the rest of their lives (I wouldn't give them up with out a garuntee of spaying, there is no reason for these girls to be bred any more). I personally do not have the money to spay them as I was never intending to.

nes.

That makes me feel better if you're looking at a rabbit rescue or trying to find them homes yourself. I think if things are really getting hard for you, maybe it would be best to find them new homes where they can get the proper attention and everything.

I would try posting here in the rescue section, petfinder.com has a classifieds where you can post free ads. Maybe a local no-kill shelter would work with you to find them homes.

Its just up to you now to decide who, if any, you will keep. Good Luck and I hope you can find wonderful homes for your little ones.

-Haley

I already asked Haviva (http://www.rabbitrescue.ca/) if they would take them but they are full (just evaluating my options). That's the kind of places I'm looking into taking the girls. That they are pregnant is a bit of an issue. If I can convince the bf we'll keep them until the kits are weaned then send off the whole bundle... I don't know.

He wants to get ride of all three now & promises to build me a rabbitry when we buy our home :\ Not much consellation...

The girls get as much love an attention as they need now, they get gormet food, the whole apartment to run around in and lots of non-rabbit pets that love them too.

I'd miss them soo much if they left, but we've got so many other things to worry about right now.

This really really really sucks.

nes.

i would never post in a classified. not unless you put a huge price tag on them to insure they dont go to bad homes or as snake food, etc.

Well taked it over with the SO - abi has to go (he's just way to scared of bucks - understandably that bite was REALLY bad), we'll find him a good home, hopefully someone in our building. I always mark up the price for classifieds but give my buns away for free.

We're going to keep the girls, but they may have to live on the balcony until we buy the house (which they won't mind, it's always too hot in here for them anyway) - and don't worry they would be built a proper home I've already made one for them.

I've decided we are going to spay the girls when we have a chance, that will probaly make them alot more cuddly (although they will never be like abi) and since I can't register them now it doesn't make a difference to me.

Thanks for your help guys - this is still really hard to give up our little baby, but we don't have a choice right now, he'll find a GREAT home somwhere :).

Nes.

I would like to make a few points here:

1. Adequate housing can be found for all of your bunnies in your home. There are *selfless* bunny fosterers who take in many foster rabbits (in small apartments). They build cages themselves to fit the space they want. They also make sure they are sturdy and secure to keep out their other pets.

2. If you are keeping your rabbits out on your balcony, you need to make sure they are protected from the animals and any predators that come flying by.

3. Getting your females spayed may or may not make them more cuddly (but will decrease their territorial behaviors, and chances of cancer). Rabbits all have their own personalities which we need to respect and enjoy just as they are. My rabbits will not cuddle on your lap (or be picked up)but I consider them the best two rabbits on the planet.

4. You will need to be very responsible with your upcoming litters. Please read up on raising baby rabbits.

I was *very* distressed to hear you are trying to rehome your rabbits but will be breedingwhen you move to your new home!

Don't be too judgemental people, if Nes really didn't give a jot for the bunnies why would she be bothering to post on a message board to begin with? I know we all love our animals dearly and would do almost anything for them, sometimes things just don't work out as planned and we have to consider the other people that we share our homes with too and how they feel about things.

Nes, I have a partner who is like yours (well even worse really, NOT an animal person at all) and it has been a 5 year uphill struggle with him to get to the point of me being able to even have rabbits on the backlawn let alone let them into the house. He's much happier about it now as he knows it makes me happy but I tell you what, man, we had so many huge arguements that for a while there I started resenting my rabbit for causing so much trouble.

Anyway I am not taking sides with anyone but just wanted to say my two cents. Only you can decide what is best for your family.

minilops wrote:
Don't be too judgemental people, if Nes really didn't give a jot for the bunnies why would she be bothering to post on a message board to begin with?
Now don't take THIS the wrong way, and I'm not specifically referring to this situation, but there are a LOT of people I see on bunny message boards thatcare for and about their bunnies much like they caredabout their dolls when they were growing up, or their new favourite toy.Eventuallythey get bored with rabbits and move on to dogs, skateboarding or somethingelse. Or they gooff to college andcleaning litter boxesgives way to a busy social life.Sometimes the pets are rehomed, other times they're left to languish alone and lonely in a cage.We see this ALL THE TIME at the small animal rescue. For some of the busiest chatters on our boards, theirbunnies are just another 'cool' hobby.

While the situation is preferable to a lot of others, it's ultimately a heartbreaker. Too many people out there just don't think ahead. Having a rabbit is a life-long commitment.

And for every new bunny born into situations like this one, another bunny dies. 'Successful' rehoming isn't successful at all when people realize that space would otherwise gone to a shelter bunny that was euthanized because there's simply no more room.

:bigtears:

I'm not going to debate this. I'm sure Nes does love her rabbits.

I'm not trying to start a debate either, it is really sad and like I said I'm not trying to take sides at all. Just trying to see it from both sides.

It's really hard being put in the middle and having to choose between your rabbit or your partner, I hated being there and made some bad bunny descisions because of it that I will always regret. I was also a bad bunny owner as a youngster and got bored of my rabbits. I had no idea how to look after them at all. I didn't know they liked to play and could be toilet trained. I have grown up a lot since then and now realise what a wonderful forever friend a rabbit makes. Perhaps Nes isn't quite at that stage yet, I don't know her so can't really say.

At least she is going to keep the does and get them desexed anyway. Nes I think it was a bad idea buying rabbits before you could have a good setup for them but good luck and hopefully it all turns out well.

Actually, after really thinking about this, it does strike me as a bit odd really.

If your boyfriend hates bucks so much how's he going to cope with you have a breeding situation set up? I'm assuming you will need bucks for that. How will you afford to buy a new home and all the bunnies etc if you can't afford to do much with the bunnies now? He must not be that much againts rabbits if he's offered to build you a rabbitry.

PLEASE make a go with ALL the bunnies, even try getting Abi fixed so he can stay with you. Do you want to always worry about him and wonder if he is alive or being miss-treated elsewhere?

Do you not like your does because they aren't cuddly? Try and work with them, get them fixed, if they are pregnant do it NOW the vets can dispose of the unwanted babies for you. It sounds cruel but it would be the best thing to do really.

I agree that with classified ads or anything else, it's necessary to get a sense of what the potential bun-parent is like. They need to be thoroughly quizzed to make sure they know their stuff.

Good post Pipp!!

As someone who takes in some of these expendable pets, I represent yet another prospective on this issue. And this has nothing to do with Nes's situation.

Chippy :"....care for and about their bunnies much like they caredabout their dolls when they were growing up, or their new favourite toy. Eventuallythey get bored with rabbits and move on "

Tootsie:"...they gooff to college andcleaning litter boxesgives way to a busy social life."

S'more and MooShu:"....they're left to languish alone and lonely in a cage.We see this ALL THE TIME at the small animal rescue."

or even worse...

Rosie:"....dumped at gas station in the middle of winter."

Latest posts

Back