Need some help attaching hay feeder please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennie

Reaction score

I know.....sorry , but , I just couldn't figure it out & gave up ! Wanting this to hang like this on the inside of the cage , but , wire tabs on the side of this doesn't allow it to hang right. Our cage has the 1/2" wire squares on the sides. How does this kind of hay holder work & if it won't work, can someone recommend a good hay holder please.

Thanks,

Jennie

4324.jpg

I'm wanting one that does have a lid (if possible), one that will attach to the inside of cage & can withstand outside use, & also safe for bunny.

Thanks,

Jennie :D

I guess going to try this one. Anyone have one like this ? We have the bigger sized one like this. Had hubby drill holes in the back side of it & just zipped tied it to the inside of the cage. Does seem kind of hard to put hay in. Hope bunny can get it out ! I just wish it had a lid.

If anyone else can recommend any other good ones..............let use know. :D

Thanks,

Jennie

61912.jpg
This is the one I use for all of my buns.
It's a bit messy, but I'm working on a modification to help with errant hay.

That little hook on the left is supposed to be for a salt lick/wheel, but I use it to secure the rack to the cage wire.

It comes in two sizes. I bought the smaller ones, but I'm thinking I would have been better off with the larger ones. ***(as Buck would have said,"Oh wella!")***

~Jim

I use the same kind as Jim. But I put a square piece of cardboard in the back so hay wouldn't fall out the back. It does tend to fall out all over the inside of the cage.But thatdoesn't really matter though, because CupCake pulls the rest of it out on her own and makes a mess anyway.Oh well, at least I can say I'vetried.

Lissa

Thanks JimD !!!

I seen what Buck did & I have the TSC hay holder like that somewhat. All I did was hang it flat against the side wall of the cage & zipped tied it to the side of the cage. The only thing about the one I bought, it has like a little scoop at the bottom (like pic I posted) & all screen on bottom & some of the back part of this where the hay lays in. It's working ok , but , after you put hay in the open top of it & it comes down to where the rabbit feeds..........the hay inside doesn't flow nice & easy down to the bottom. You almost have to give it a shove down as she eats it. It seem to taper inside making it kind of hard for hay dropping to the bottom. Hope this makes sense ! ;)

Thanks again for the link !!!!!!!!! :D

Jennie

After hearing your description and seeing the unit itself, it almost seems that it was betterdesigned for pelletized food.:?

I have plastic "J-feeders" that are very similar....maybe a bit smaller. They're not good for hay, and they hold WAY too much food for my buns, so I haven't used them in a while. I used them when the buns were still on free feed, but I now use ceramic bowls for their limited pellet diet.

~Jim

Ok......opps :shock: thought it was for hay & now after seeing the hay holder, it makes sense ! I didn't see any of these at our TSC. Any other place to try or maybe I can get TSC to order some in. I have the hay in the pellet food holder & it is ok for now. I won't use this for food , because , we only feed her 1/2 of pellet food a day (hope this isn't too much or not enough) & will just continue to use our clay pot bottoms. They work great !!

Thanks again. :D Oh also, what kind of wire did Buck use to modify his hay holder ? His is this one (Jim D's pic) & he just added wire to the front of it & just drilled & zipped tied the back to the inside of the cage.......right ?

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

I'm not sure if TSC carries these. Their made by Bass Equipment and can be ordered if not avaiable.

I'm pretty sure Buck just reversed the attaching wire. I'd have to go back to the posts and pics to see for sure. Drilled holes and ties would work fine.

The clay pot bottoms are a great idea!!:thumbup

For the amount of pellets you want to give a ratio according to the normal weight of the bunnie. I generally go with 1/4 cup for a 4 lb bun....it all depends on the needs of the bun in question really.
Tootsie is about 10 lbs and gets a little over 1/2 cup a day.
Brindle SHOULD be about 4-5 lbs max, but is a bit over that. She gets 1/4 cup daily.:apollo:

Bunnies under 6 months I give free feed. And some buns take langer to mature...like Flemish Giants that can take up to 1 1/2 years.

~Jim

Here's some pics and Bucks instructions....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Buck Jones wrote:
My hay racks are commercially available racks that are made to hang outside the cage. They are made out of sheet metal and are a three sided, hopper style design. One is supposed to hang the rack outside the cage, with the open side facing in toward the rabbit. The bars of the cage then function to hold the hay within the sheet metal sides, with the bunny being able to pick at and withdraw hay through the cage wire. Most major rabbit supply houses sell these racks in 4" - 11" widths by about 8" high for $5.00 - $8.00.

The shortcoming of these hay racks is that they are designed to hang outside the cage for easier filling, but by the same token, their location tends to produce loose hay refuse/litteron the floor as the the bun(s) pull(s) hay through the cage wires.

I simply rework these racksto hang inside the cage by bending their wire attachment apparatus so that the sheet metal back of the rack is against inside of the cage wire wall and the bottom is on the floor of the cage. The "open" section of the rack now faces in toward the rabbit(s).

I take ordinary fence wire with 2" x 3" rectangular squares, and cut a piece slightly larger than the open side of the hay rack. Using the cut piece as a guide, I use a magic marker to mark where each horizontal "line" of wire will intersect the sheet metal of the two sides of the opening. I then drill a hole of a slightly larger diameter than the wire at each spot oneach of thetwosides that the wire will intersect.

I now cut away any vertical wire on either sidethat would interfere with my "threading" the horizontal wire through the aforementioned holes on the sides of the opening face of the rack.

The horizontal wires are "threaded" through the holes, filed to eliminate sharp edges,and bent 90 degrees to parallel the side of the rackand facing the back...away from the bun(s). I have, in effect, "caged in" the open face of the rack in order to enable it to hold the bun's(s') hay.

As the hay rack is inside the cage, any hay refuse pulled through the newly installed "wire fascia" does not drop to the outside of the cage, but remains neatly within. I hope the verbal description is clear enough. In truth, it takes just about as long to write about it, as to actually make the change.

All I'm doing is putting wire on the front of a rack designed to be hung on the outside of a cage and hanging that rack on the inside with the sheet metal back against the wire wall of the cage. I usuallywire or zip tie asuitably sized piece of Plexiglas, on the outside of the cage behind the rack, so virtually no refuse hits the floor.

Rack modification alone will reduce hay refuse on your floor by about 80%. Add the Plexiglas "backstop" and you're looking at a 95%+ reduction in hay litter onthe floor.

Buck
I'm considering adding the plexiglass to my existing racks to cut down on the hay waste, too

~Jim

Latest posts

Back