Need some good thoughts for Dora RESOLVED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
Apparently this is a bad week for my buns (and my checkbook!). A few days ago I noticed that Dora was getting skinny. I thought it was just because she was shedding, because she often gets a little more skinny during a shed. Yesterday I realized she was super-scary skinny, and in addition had now gone off her food a bit and was showing pain symptoms. At least she was still pooping and peeing and was eating some food. Unfortunately by that point, the rabbit vet had gone home for the afternoon and only the non-rabbit vets were left, so Dora had to wait till this morning.

Dora is a really skittish Britannia Petite, so even with her being a little less responsive it was still difficult to get her examined this morning. She had to be anesthetized for a look at her teeth and a blood draw, even though in her condition it was a bit risky. The vet found some tiny little points on her molars and filed them off, but did not think they were the cause. Her blood work was normal. So all we have to go on is a fluid-filled cecum and a colon with few poops moving through it, despite having still pooped like a champ last night. Dora did have cecum motility issues as a hand-raised baby, but she's nearly 3 now and hasn't had a problem since about 10 weeks old or so. The vet sent us home with metoclopramide to get her gut moving (the only thing that helped when she was a baby, otherwise he usually doesn't leap towards GI stimulants) and pain meds. I'm supposed to call with an update tomorrow and we'll see where we go from there.

I have Benebac at home, so I'll give Dora some of that, too. Thankfully she eats anything hidden in pumpkin. Between Dora and Loki I should just go buy a crate of canned pumpkin (and buy stock in my vet).

At least Dora had enough spunk to escape from her carrier and give the vet techs a chase! Although a pain-free Dora would likely have been climbing the walls and hurting herself to get away, so I guess some pain was good in this instance.

Either that or get a garden of your own and start canning the stuff. Will say some prayers for Dora and send some positive healing thoughts her way. Keep us posted. Before joining this site I had no idea bunnies liked or in your case loved pumpkin.

I'll be praying for you and Dora! :pray:

Pipp's molar spurs were pretty small, the vet didn't think they were the cause of her not eating, but it was. It threw her whole system off.

Hopefully that's the same with Dora. She's such an awesome little bunny!

I guess the next step if she doesn't perk up is x-rays?

Hope she's okay!

sas :clover:

Prayers and Vibes

Pipp, it could be that the spurs were bugging her. But I don't see how that would make her loose weight while she was still eating the same amount of food. That's what is throwing me and the vet, because she didn't go off her food till yesterday and she has severe weight loss. We don't know exactly how much because she hasn't been in since she was spayed 2.5 years ago, but she's a tiny bag of bones right now.:(

I would guess we would do x-rays next. I was a little surprised he didn't do them today while he had her knocked out.

Between Dora and Loki, I have a bunch of rabbit meds all lined up in a row, and we don't really know what is wrong with either of them.:expressionless

Sounds like you are doing everything for her Angela but you didn't mention simethicone so wondered if that would help.

Being skinny still seems odd if she has been eating and pooping OK :?but if something was going on I would have thought that it would have shown up in the blood work...

let us know....:hug:

Dora is the same today, if not a little worse. When she was due to get her pain meds, she was shaking. :( That was a few hours ago, and now she's nibbling a little food again. She is still pooping and peeing.

I had the thought that maybe if her cecum hasn't been working for a while, the weight loss would be due to lack of B vitamins. The vet said that's possible, and she's going in for a vitamin B shot and another look-over tomorrow. I also searched the town for Nutri-cal, as I had thrown out my ancient tube a while back. The last pet store finally had some. Petsmart used to carry it, but now they only have GNC brand stuff and their version of Nutri-cal only comes in chicken flavor. Ew. Dora did take a few licks of the Nutri-cal, and Loki liked it too.

We still don't know for sure what is causing this. I can only hope that she starts to improve soon.

Good news today! Although Dora seems the same to me, the vet said her cecum and intestines are feeling a bit better and she is keeping herself properly hydrated. He upped her pain meds so that they will last longer, because when they wore off yesterday she was shaking. Dora also got a B vitamin complex shot, with some extra B12 because that helps with intestinal movement.

Just thought I'd update everyone on Dora. The B vitamin injection helped a LOT. She was still up and down a little bit after that but didn't act as uncomfortable. I weaned her off of her GI stimulant, and she has now been off of all meds for 36 hours and is doing great! Hopefully her cecum will work ok on it's own.

I haven't taken her in for a checkup since last Saturday. I don't want to stress her out and make her sick from the stress. She's definitely gaining some weight back too because she looks and feels a little better. I'll be giving her Nutrical for a while still to help her build back up.

Latest posts

Back