Need some advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ava&Ringo

Reaction score
I have a burnt orange cashmere lop named Ringo. I'm not sure how much he weighs (or if he is even a he for that matter) but I estimate him at beign around 3 and a half months old. He lives indoors with me, and only me so I have no other animals or people that could have harmed him. He hasn't been sick before to my knowledge, his diet consists of hay, occassional carrots and a leafy mix with rocket and either spinach or butter leaf. He hasn't been outdoors recently, and although I did catch him in the bin the other day (it has since been moved) he wasn't there for long and at the most would have nibbled on a bit of bread.

Now to my concern....I noticed two nights ago that his energy was a bit lower than normal, and his hind legs appeared weaker. He tried jumping up onto things on a few occassions, and for whatever reasons couldn't make it and just fell down instead, and it wasn't only high things. He has a little salad bowl that I have filled with hay for him that he can no longer get into as well. His pooing habbits might have slightly altered as well (i.e. more out of his litter box) but I can't really be sure as he is still quite young and unneutered. He is still eating fine, he looks healthy, he isn't grinding his teeth or making any sounds of pain and he hops around on the floor justfine,he just can't hop up onto things. Should I be worried or has he just pinched a nerve or pulled a muscle?

Anyhelp or advice would be appreciated as I love him dearly and would hate anything to happen to him.

Regards,

Ava

How old is he?

Is he drinking water?

Is he eating normally?

Is he pooping and peeing like usual?

Is he eating his treats? i.e. banana, craisins etc.

I think that there may be something going on with such a sudden change in behavior.

You didn't mention whether you are feeding pellets; a rabbit that young should be getting unlimited alfalfa hay and pellets and also you can add timothy ( sounds like he is aready on greens. )

There is something wrong with him for sure. :(

Icannot say what it is t butI would encourage you to visit a vet ; this isn't normal for a bun that age.

He hasn't been eating pellets as the vet nurse I originally took him too said that they contain alot of bad things for rabbits and a diet of hay and fresh food would be preferable. He was on a hay containing a higher amount of calcium as he is so young until recently, when I was told it should be ok to switch him to a normal hay. He is eating and drinking fine, its really just the not jumping up onto anything thats the worry, I did find him on top of his cat scratcher just before though, so he must have gotten up there somehow, but he doesn't seem to be able to do it consistantly. If it is a sore leg that would describe his apparent lack of energy as if its sore he isn't going to want to be binkying all over the place I suppose, but he is still hopping around and exploring the place and following me from room to room...

Thanks for your comments I hope he is ok.

I thought he was 3 years old. He could be suffering from potassium deficiency. This can affect young rabbits hind legs, potassium is needed for muscle movement. He should see a vet, but try giving him banana slices in the mean time. I am not sure how soon it will take affect.

a baby rabbit needs a diet for growth ;I don't know what kind of pellets you have over there but there are quality pellets made for young rabbits here. Your bunny is not really getting a nutitious enough diet for a bun that young. Can you at least get alfalfa hay /

this could could be a mineral , electrolyte or vitamin imbalance or possibly an injury that you are not aware of.

if you can get an electrolyte drink for infants and syringe that this would also provide potsssium and other electrolytes for your bunny.

I agree that alfalfa (some places, called lucerne) hay or a pellet would be good for him. I worry that he has a nutritional deficiency. He could also have sprained or strained something, but that should go away in just a few days.

Oh Lucerne hay was what he was eating originally, I only swapped it when he ran out in recent weeks but I'll definatelty get some more for him now. I'll ask the vet about the spinach but it was a mix with rocket so it shouldn't have been a high amount but it is definately a possibility and the symptoms seem to match. I'll call a few places tomorrow and try to get an appointment somewhere.

I'll talk to whichever vet about pellets or mineral subsitutes etc when I see them as well, just incase this is a potential problem.

Thanks so much for all of the advice, so far it sounds like its not going to be anything too serious or god forbid fatal! I'll keep you posted over the next few days to see what happens incase anyone else ever encounters the same symptoms.

If it was a sudden slow-down, I'd be more inclined to think its a sprain or something, and if it isn't gone in a few days, look at doing some x-rays or other diagnostics.

I've had a sprained back and a leg here and both presented with a pretty sudden reluctance to hop, and lasted around three days.

I would think any diet-related deficiencies would be cleared up fairly soon as well, but not an area I'm all that familiar with.

There is a chance of a neurological or vestibular (inner ear) issue, but at that age, unlikely to be a parasite or anything awful. But I'd still keep an eye on his ears, watch for any sign of infection, also odd eye movements, slight head tilt, anything like that.

Can't be too careful!

sas :clover:

Latest posts

Back