Need some advice please on neutering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyluv96

Reaction score
Hello there. I am having some trouble debating whether or not to get my bun neutered and was hoping some of you could help. I am very attached to my bun and I'm terrified something will happen to him. I've read that vets are much less experienced with buns than cats or dogs, and that buns are more risky to be put under anesthetic b/c they are so delicate. I don't want anything bad to happen to him. I'm worried he'll be away from me for days and days and that would be miserable :( I am worried he will hold a grudge to me b/c I am who took him to the vet and so he links the pain and trauma to me. Will he be in pain or bleeding when he comes home? Will he need special care? Will he be traumatized at all? I don't want his personality to change. Can I find avet near me that cares for buns and if I do how do I know they are a good vet? I have so many questions and concerns, but I dont' want to take this lightly. I'm really worried about it, but he won't quit mounting my cats and it's causing tension so I think it needs to be done. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks :):bunnyheart

If you have a vet who is experienced with rabbits a neuter is a very non-invasive procedure.
I had 2 buns neutered a little over a week ago and they both began to eat the moment that I brought them home from surgery ; I dropped them off at 7:30AM and picked them up the same day at 4pm .
I am a rabbit volunteer at a shelter.and .part of my duties is to take the rabbits that need spaying and neutering to the vet and then pick them up. Never in 5 yrs have we lost a rabbit although after a neuter there is an occasional small infection in a sac that would be considered minor.

the key to success is to find a vet who is rabbit savvy

here is an article on how to do that.

http://rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.htmlyyou

You want a vet who neuters and spays a lot of rabbits successfully. maybe you can call a shelter near you and have them advise you or possibly someone on here forum in your area can give you suggestions.
here are vets in Indiana

Rabbits who are neutered are cleaner and happier pets because they do not have the strong sex hormones controlling their behavior

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11601&forum_id=9

this list is not up to date so if you call be sure to ask a lot of questions

Angieluv gave great advice.
If you find a vet that is up-to-date with rabbit medicine and is confident enough to do it, there shouldn't be any issue. A shelter or rescue is a good place to start to find recommendations for vets and even sometimes low-cost programs for spay/neuter. The risks are really quite small if the vet is up to date in training and has some experience with rabbits. If you cannot find a vet like that, then it might not be worth the risk.

There are many reasons to neuter your bunny and the only reason I would consider not doing it is if you live in an area where there are literally no rabbit-savvy vets (then you probably shouldn't have a bunny, because in emergencies you will have to rely on your own care for him), or if the rabbit is for ARBA/4H showing.

Latest posts

Back