Need quick answers!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will add something...

What bothers me... Is that it sounds very much like when i found my girl. I was terrified. But then Poof! She started eating and drinking, pooping a ton, running around etc. The next day she was totally herself although she was a bit tired. Everyone thought it was gas. I lost her the day after. I am not saying this to scare you, but please, like Pipp said, if it doesn't get better, don't wait. They can go downhill terribly quickly.

Question: Is it typical in rabbits with gas attacks to have sides heaving? I only had few experiences with gas (except that night)and so I haven't noticed it. Just asking for my own knowledge.

MsBinky wrote:
Question: Is it typical in rabbits with gas attacks to have sides heaving? I only had few experiences with gas (except that night)and so I haven't noticed it. Just asking for my own knowledge.
I wouldn't say typical,but Dill reacts like that -- heavy panting, eyes dull, even peeing on himself. He lies on his side, hegets up, hunches,and lies back down again... I've only actually seen him tail up straining to pass gas once, though, and it didn't go on for that long. But he honestly looks like he's dying.:( I've had him in the carrier and calleda cab twice now to go to the know-nothing ER vet, went to walk out thedoor, looked inside and he was merrily munching on hay, bright-eyed and bushy tailed.:?

Given the serverity of the description, I wasn'tconvinced this wasgas, but snapping out of like that is typical. So if Toby remains bright and eating and has normal output,gas will bemy guess.

As an aside: It's totally unscientific, but none of my guys will let me rub theirtummies unless they have gas. I feed my littleherd huge salads withmultiple varieties of veggies(thanks to a deal with an organicproduce market), so I've run across a lot of sensitivities. The ones that will never normally let me touch them or turn them over are fine with tummy rubs during gas attacks (once they get over the surprise).

sas

Wow Pipp, I would freak experiencing a gas attack that bad! (Well I guess, I sorta experienced it when I thought it was what Wiggles had. Theywere those exact symptoms..)Then I'd think the lil bugger was trying to drive me insane by snapping out of it that way :?Lol.

It's interesting that you mentionned that you thought Toby was straining too much for a gas attack. But then like you said, if he is snapping out of it... I also love how your buns will tell you to stay away but then be all "Awww thank you mommy" when they are sick. Lol.

Prayers and thoughts to Toby and Chikky :pray::rose:

Thanks guys.

Toby seems 100% better today. He's moving around and standing up. AND he peed... and sat in it, of course.

I did find a vet!! Finally. Now, he has an appointment for tonight, though I thought about cancelling since he seems so much better. That vet's gonna be like 'There is nothing wrong with this rabbit... And he's dirty.'

I think I'll take him, just in case, though.

Thanks for everyone's help and support. I'll keep you all posted.

Oh thank goodness! I have been thinking of him all day! I bet it was gas. I would take him in to see the vet tho.... definitely! Just to make sure :)

Keep us posted ok?

MsBinky wrote:
What bothers me... Is that it sounds very much like when i found my girl. I was terrified. But then Poof! She started eating and drinking, pooping a ton, running around etc. The next day she was totally herself although she was a bit tired. Everyone thought it was gas.
Very strong caution here... Straining in an unspayed female is a TOTALLY different ballgame. Never assume gas, ALWAYS get a female checked ASAP. (Notice that was one of my first questions -- you're sure he's a boy).

Glad Toby's feeling better. Also glad he's getting a check-up. :)

sas :bunnydance:

The caution is particularly strong for unspayed females because of the number of unexepected pregnancies (they find so many ways to breed without the guardians noticing) and that if it is a labour issue gone awry -- considering labour usually only lasts minutes, not hours --it can present like that and be life threatening, even if they appear to get over it. Days later, there are life-threatening issues. We've had several cases like that.

Wiggles reminded me of it because she had a serious uterine infection quite possibly caused by failed pregnancy issues,which is why she wasspayed in the first place.

sas :expressionless

No you are right. I was so focussed on when I lost her that I didn't think of the first time when she did get spayed (emergency surgery for pyometra). Sorry about that. I've kinda been stuck on that night. :rose:

Ok, just back from the vet!

Toby had twisted his pelvis, and another part of his spine that started with an 's' (I can't remember... scapula? Something to that extent.) out of place! The vet said his motions last night were most likely him trying to pop it all back into place. He's not a free rein bunny, but I have a good idea how he did it... Only MY rabbit could do this, hehe.

But he immediately relaxed and hurried to the pellets I gave him when we got him home. He's all chiropractered and fixed up. So thanks guys! I'm so glad that my baby is ok. I really thought about not taking him, plus my own medical stuff was flaring up today... But I really wanted to take him, just to be sure. Guess my mommy instincts were right on, again! They worked for another of my bunnies, too.

Thanks again!

You know, I never thought of something like that!

I have seen Clover stretch in a funny way with that bad leg - never thought it might be bugging her or something....

Latest posts

Back