Need more tips...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
I just need some tips as to what you all did whenpotty training your bunnies. Silly me in thinking that having tworabbits that I knew what I was doing! Chompers came to me trained (hedid need a refresher course), and Abby was fully training in about twoweeks.

Valura, however, is another story. To make matters worse, the other twoseem to be losing some of their good habits. She pees underthetable, soafter shampooing itnot onlyonce or twice, but three times, with alternating half and halfsolutions of water/vinegar, we actually moved their cage over thepeespots and the table to where their cage usedtobe.On a side note, that carpet shampooer was thebest $100 I ever spent!

Anyway, she's not really catching on too well to the whole litter boxthing. They havea wooden shelf in their cage that they allsleep on. This is where Valura goes both pee and poop. It's driving mecrazy, looks awful and I don't know what to do. TodayI wasthinking of removing the shelfcompletely, tryingtoclean it with water/vinegar, and not puttingitback in until she's trained.

I know that spaying helps,or so I've read, but that's not anoption yetdue to her age and thefact that Abby isgetting spayed today and it'snearly $200. Weareplanning on spaying Valuraafter Christmas.

Any tips you guys can give would be great. I guess I didn't expect suchproblems, since Ididn't have any with Chompers and Abby wasquick to catch on.

I just typed out a long message and my son hit something to make it go away..

Both of my rabbits came with some knowlege of using a box. I would haveto say roger is more trained than Luv. That is in the cage. Outside ofthe cage i think Roger goes potty on the floor more. but he likes to beout of his cage more. His spot is under the table.When he used to go potty on the cardboard i would pour it in his box orsoak up the pee and put the paper towel in his box.Luv does box and the bottom of the cage. Both are fixed sincethey came from the shelter.

I dont know if i offered much help. I have never had a baby bunny. Justolder ones who have came with some skills. I hope abbyrecovers from her operation quickly.

Cristy

well..what i learned from all the websites i wentto when i got my bunnies was just to watch them, see where *they* wantto go, and put the litter box there! more like bunnies training you lol:) but it worked.. got both of them trained in the livingroom, and when they got the rest of the house, they went to the litterboxes i put here and there..

however.. i also put hay in them now and have to make sure i only putthey hay in the litter box lol.. or they'll munch and 'go' where thehay is!

If you catch a fresh pee spot, try soaking up asmuch as you can with a tissue, then put the tissue in the box, and putValura in the box so she can see and smell the tissue.

You are gunna have a poop issue for a while yet... most buns want to show they own an area by pooping in it.

When Valura is out of her cage make sure to watch her, correct her ifshe starts to do the tail lift and quickly plop her in a box.Do you have an extra box outside the cage? that mighthelp. Gir no longer pees outside the box (cept for anaccident or two) but his poos are EVERYWHERE. Luckily only inthe cage, he is learning pooing outside the cage isnt smart.

Valura will catch on, she just needs some coaxing.

And it might be good to take that shelf out of there until she gets the idea. Apparently she already likes to go there

Everyone has givenreally good advice. To that I will add that I used aspen shavings inthe beginning for Sebastian because they absorbed the pee really welland then he could smell his own pee and knew where it was I wanted himto go. As he got better about going I began changing over to woody pet.I used to pick the poo's up and put them in there and actually showthem to him.:?As he got older and didbetter I would scold him and push his head to the ground when he poo'doutside of his box. I still do! If he poo's on my kitchen floor I clapand holler at him and he beats feet to the litter box realquick!

Raspberry

I notice u use shavings on the bottom of ur cage? Does she go on the shavings as well?

I found with Stitch I did use shavings on the bottom of her cage andlitter stuffs in her litter box and had a horrible time trying to gether to use the litter box she kept going on the shavings so I got boldone day and removed the shavings washed her cage out really well andonly put the box with the litter stuffs inside then I guess shedetermined the difference between the two and went in her box and nolonger on the bottom of her cage.

I dont know if that will work for you but it did help me now the poopything? HOLY MOLY I go around every single day picking coco puffs off myfloor after her all the time she wont seem to do that in a litter boxother then in her cage heaven forbid she gets HER cage floor dirty butmine? BLEH!

Marie

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try all of this!She isn't pooping a lot outside of the cage, which is a good thing,it's just little pee spots. Moving the cage did help a bit, plus we cantell that the rabbits really like where it is now. It does make theroom look bigger too, which is a plus.

I guess it's just time consuming to box train, and very frustrating at times.

Latest posts

Back