Need Lotsa Help w/ New Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheetos mom

Reaction score
Late last night, I saw a strange silouette in mybushes. Upon closer examination, I determined it to be a rabbitt. Ididn't think much of it because I reside in Az and jack rabbits are alltoo common. Then first thing this morning, while drinking coffee withmy husband, I discovered that this wasn't a jack rabbit at all -instead, itsa small pure black rabbitt.

Because of the large number of stray feral cats in the neighbourhood, Iinformed my husband that I was gonna catch it and then figure out whatto do then. My husband laughed and told me that I never would. Well,effortlessly and with a little bit of lettuce, I did.

After spending an hour with it, it would seem this was a much loved pet ...

We've decided to keep it (unless we can determine who is missing her),but I am clueless. After spending the day with this animal, I realizeeverything I thought I knew about rabbits is wrong (I thought they werestupid, no personality,boring creatures, etc)

How can I tell gender?
How can I tell age?
Do they all act like dogs / cats? (This one follows me around and hops up on my lap to be held)
She (?) ate several Cheetos that my 2 year old had dropped and I had failed to pick up, how serious is this?
Are they nocturnal?
What do I need to be careful of?
Are you supposed to be able to feel their ribs? (I always thought rabbits to be a little plump around the middle)
Is picking them up by their ears acceptable?
Are they any parasites they might carry that I have to be careful with my two year old?
Are fruits acceptable?

Please tell, inquiring minds wanna know

:) Melissa

Hi, Cheeto's mom! It sounds like your bunny istruly grateful for being rescued! I'm fairly new to rabbits, too. I'vehad my first for about two months now. This is a great site to get infofrom. Check out this thread on basic care:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=3005&forum_id=1

They do not really act like cats or dogs but like rabbitd:D Minecircles my feet, licks me, play fights with me, plays with all sorts oftoys, and loves to do stuff that he knows he shouldn't when my back isturned. They're really smart, and they learn quickly.

You should be able to feel their ribs a bit, although I don't know how to tell if they are too skinny.

You'll need to bunny proof the areas that he's allowed in. There isgood info in the above thread and in others- try doing a search.Rabbits have a bad habit of chewing on wires, etc.

Please do not pick your rabbit up by it's ears, or by the scruff ofit's neck. The first is painfull, the second can be uncomfortable andscary to him. Here is a good article on how to pick up your rabbit:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-11/lift.html

Others will have more advice. Have fun with your new bun!

First congradulationson the carching of the Bun, sometimes not an easy task lol .

How can I tell gender:

you can hold its buttupagainst your chest and lookun neutered smales will haveblue or red spots on either side ofhis butt , (ie : testicals ) Butthe best easiest way is tohave someone you know whoknows rabbits sex it for you ,Or a vet can tell you .

How can I tell age?
age is a little harder depending onsize it can be hard totell age ,

Do they all act like dogs / cats? (This one follows me around and hops up on my lap to be held)
She (?) ate several Cheetos that my 2 year old had dropped and I had failed to pick up, how serious is this?
They really dont actlike dogs or cats persai , butthey will follow you aroundand some even love to sit withyou and snuggle, by the soundsthe one you have is asnuggle bunny thisisgood . heetoesreally souldnt be given, but if it found oneand ate it it isntgoing to do much damage, becarefull the cheese may bind itup and i hate all thepreservatives in such stuff.

Are they nocturnal?
Yes but will be awakemost of the day , withlittle cat naps allday , Night toome is their timeto play throw thingsbang things , and generallyhave fun .

What do I need to be careful of? GI statisfor the one , Watch thatis pooping and peeing freely ,if it starts acting funny(IE backing in to a corner andnot moving around much , ) you can giveit fresh pineapple juice orcanned pumpkin to get things moving ,

Are you supposed to be able to feel their ribs? (I always thought rabbits to be a little plump around the middle)
Feeling the ribs isnt much indicationof underweight , but if thetummy looks sunken inthen it is underweight , notknowing what breed it is (could you post a picture ?)its hard to say what overweight underweight would be.

Is picking them up by their ears acceptable

NO NEVER!! pick them up eitherunder the arms or bythe butt and chest with2 ands , I likecomparring picking them up byhte ears the same asa human getting lifted from thechair by an ear , ( any one whowent to catholic school canvouch for the pain ) .

Are they any parasites they might carry that I have to be careful with my two year old?
Are fruits acceptable?

Ear mites are a concern , butunlike cats and dogs mostrabbits dont get parasites ,now I am not saying itcant happen , because it can, If your havingconcerns with parasitesbest bet would betake it to a vet along with apoop sample and have it tested .

Fruitsa and veggies aregood for a rabbit , morevegggies than fruit asfruit contains more sugarsthan necessary but inmoderation is fine.

Timothy hay issomething to have on hand ,good quality pelletsare also a must fresh water ,and limited treats ,toys etc are all good.

How can I tellgender? Check out the cheat sheet. Ithas a good link for this with photos and all.
How can I tell age? It difficult if the bun isfull grown. A rabbit savvy vet may be able to help more withthis.
Do they all act like dogs / cats? (This one follows me around and hopsup on my lap to be held) They have great personalitydon't they? Not all like to be held (they are naturally preyanimals and so for some it mimics a predatory action).
She (?) ate several Cheetos that my 2 year old had dropped and I hadfailed to pick up, how serious is this?Cheetos? Probably not a big problem, but alsonot a food I would tend to repeat.
Are theynocturnal? Technically yes, but they are mostactive at dawn and dusk.
What do I need to be careful of? Again check thecheat sheet. It gives a good link for GI stasis and listssome other possible problems.
Are you supposed to be able to feel their ribs? (I always thoughtrabbits to be a little plump around the middle)Not plump, but they shouldn't look overly skinny.He/She may need to put some weight on depending on how long he/she wasoutside alone.
Is picking them up by their ears acceptable?ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! My Elvis has trauma to thecartilage in his ears and my vet suspects it is from this.(He was found much in the way of your bunny, except someone definitelydumped him...he was in a box on a friend's porch.) Now hisears, which should stand don't stand properly.
Are they any parasites they might carry that I have to becareful with my two year old? Well, worms could bea problem. A trip to a rabbit savvy vet with a stool samplewould be a good idea.
Are fruits acceptable? In moderation.Just small amounts because they have a high sugar content.I'll recommend the cheat sheet one more time. It has a greatlink to acceptable foods.

Please tell, inquiring minds wanna know

:) Melissa
I hope this helps. How wonderful of you to take in this little lost soul.

Jen

Congrats on rescuing this littlebunny. I rescued a bunny back in early March and lost myheart to it - only to find out who it belonged it. I foundout the owner by placing an ad in the newspaper for free. Isimply said, "Found rabbit" and my phone number (we live in a smalltown) and I made people describe the rabbit for me and the area of townthey live in.

I will warn you that if you do try to find the owner...it may breakyour heart if you have to give the bunny back. I had thebunny for 5 days before the owners contacted me - and I cried for 2days afterwards. I wound up getting Tiny and my twoNetherland dwarfs within just days.

Peg

Thank you all. I appreciate all the feedback. I know with 100% certainty that I'll be back with lotsa questions! :)

All of your bunnies are beautiful !! I cannot believe that I amactually saying that! Seriously. Before yesterday, I had no interest inthese critters... now, "I get it!". I have a whole new respect forthese animals!

One last question for now... I have been feeding her rabbitt food andfresh lettuce, but every time we spend time outside (supervised), she(?) eats dried leaves? Is this common? Is it something she needs in herdiet?

Hello Tiny's Mom,

I've decided that I will "keep an eye open" for this bunny's ownerbecause its the right thing to do. But, admittedly, I am not going tolook too hard. Yes, I know...I've already have a real fondness forher(?).

Was the loss of the found bunny what prompted you to get another?

Cheetos mom wrote:
Thank you all. I appreciate all the feedback. I know with100% certainty that I'll be back with lotsa questions! :)

All of your bunnies are beautiful !! I cannot believe that I amactually saying that! Seriously. Before yesterday, I had no interest inthese critters... now, "I get it!". I have a whole new respect forthese animals!

One last question for now... I have been feeding her rabbitt food andfresh lettuce, but every time we spend time outside (supervised), she(?) eats dried leaves? Is this common? Is it something she needs in herdiet?

Don't feed her iceburg lettuce. Just romaine. ;)

Where in AZ are you? I am in Tucson and I get to watch wildcottontails every morning run out behind our lot. It is SOcute! I'm glad you saved Cheeto! He/she will bereally happy! By the way, when I put my buns in their run inthe back yard, occasionally a leaf from our citrus trees will fall inor make it's way through the wire mesh, and they LOVE to eatthem. I think they will eat them fresh ordry. Isn't it the greatest thing to be a babywabbit's mamma?? :) The greatest feeling is whenthey recognize you and KNOW you are mom! :) Waittill you get bunny kisses. OH! And grooming is funtoo!!

Hugs!

Shorty, Star & Krick

Cricket
Funny... that's exactly what she eats ... dried citrus leaves!

I am in Tempe.

Why no iceberg? Admittedly, I have been combining romaine and iceberg.I prefer the romaine, so I was saving the bulk of it for myself!:p

Lemme make sure I understand how to handle her when she panics. I canlift Cheeto real easily. She'll snuggle into my lap while i rub her,but the minute I try to put her down, she'll panic about ten inchesfrom the ground and scratch. If I read correctly, I need to cover hereyes?

Also nipping...she's been nipping and pulling at my pant legs all day.Is this play or aggression? I don't suspect this to be aggressivebehavior....

Melissa

Cheetos mom wrote:
Hello Tiny's Mom,

I've decided that I will "keep an eye open" for this bunny's ownerbecause its the right thing to do. But, admittedly, I am not going tolook too hard. Yes, I know...I've already have a real fondness forher(?).

Was the loss of the found bunny what prompted you to get another?

Yes. I cried for two days and got my first three bunnies onthe third day. I had not realized how much fun a rabbit couldbe until I rescued Fluffy (who we called "bunny" and were going to name"Murphy"). He would jump on the bed to wake me up and jumpall over me - and snuggle in the chair beside me and nap while Iwatched tv.

Peg

Hey Melissa :)

I believe iceburg lettuce is hard for them to digest. It alsomakes them bloat. Same thing with cabbage. Somecheap produce to try (in small amounts so as they don't get diaharrea)is alfalfa sprouts, cilantro, parsley, spinich, celery, carrots and somuch more. I know tomatos are bad for them as well.

When my buns and I were first having our introductions and bonding,whenever they would panicin my arms, I was told to kneel downto get close to ground so as if they DO get out of your arms they areless likely toget hurt. I would also talk to themvery soothingly...reassure her (or him?) that you've got them...they'llbe ok :) It takes some time, but they will know you and youvoice. It is the GREATEST thing in the world to have you bunrecognize and trust you. They truly are great pets.Try holding her like a football. Nice and firm.Some buns might not like that. Some even like to be held likea newborn (one hand under their rump and the other hand to supporttheir back/mid-section).

How big (or small) approximately is your baby? Approx. weight?

Do tell all!! I think it is safe for me to say: WE WANT PICS :)

Hugs!

Also wanted to add that in addition to all of the great advice offeredhere by all of the experts, try the local library. Pick up arabbit book for quick reference. I go every 3 weeks and getdifferent books (they all say just about the same thing, but I willoccasionally find a new tip). The books help me when I can'tlogin and chat with all of the knowledgeable membershere. Good luck

Thanks Cricket,

My bad on the tomotoes, too!! I'm glad that you let me know that one.

Thank you for the advice on holding.... she (?) is fine when it comesto me holding her and picking her up. She only seems to get stressedwhen I am attempting to put her down. 10 inches or so from the floor,she'll panic.

Cheeto weighs about 2 - 3 lbs. I'll have to take some pictures. She'snot anywhere near as beautiful as the animals I have seen here, but herpersonality makes up for it! ;) Actually, I have always had the bestluck with animals that aren't physically the most desirable...

She's all black (except the very underside of her feet are grey), hasreal long ears, grey and black eyes and a big cottony tail.

Anyone? My food list says that tomatoes are ok?

Congrats on your new bunny! The tugging at the pants is anattention thing! Sounds like a very sweet bunny who lovespeople.

Forgive me.... I am amazed...Ok, so I sound like a new mom.... but, I got my first bunny kisses tonight!!!

When my two children (2 years and the other 2 months) settled down,Cheeto and I went outside for some alone time. It was nice to havethings finally quiet. As i sat there just enjoying the time to myself,little Cheeto's tongue on my foot reminded me I wasn't quite alone!

Sorry to be such a new mom geek. ****, I think I am more amazed withthis new rabbit than I am with my almost newborn daughter ! Itsprobably because I fully underestimated and misunderstood bunnies!

BTW, I am pretty certain that this munchkin has ear mites, otherwiseshe(?) seems real healthy. Because of my maternity leave, we're on areal fixed income, so I cannot really afford to take her to the vetsimmediately. Is there anything I can do to lessen any possiblediscomfort?

Hi Cheetos mum, welcome! Your new additionsounds a real sweetheart, and she is bound to bring you lots of fun :D.You could try using mineral or olive oil in her ears. If it is mites,this suffocates them, and will also probably give her somerelief. - Jan

I think everyone covered everything rather well,so I'll just add a bit of trivia.:) The term for animals (suchas rabbits) that are most active at dusk and dawnis"crepuscular".

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Ithink everyone covered everything rather well, so I'll just add a bitof trivia. :) Theterm for animals (such as rabbits) that are most active at dusk anddawn is"crepuscular".

Pam
Thanks for that one Pam. I was racking my brain yesterday tothink of that one and just couldn't seem to come up with it.

Jen

You have all been so amazingly helpful!

I think I have determined "she" is a "he". He has two small grape sizedballs above a hole (Examining him seemed uncomfortable, so ...).

As you know, I am amazed with this critter's personality. In fact, Ihave have, admittedly been bragging about my find! :) He makes mewonder why I hadn't considered a rabbit before...

Couple of questions... I know that I will need to get him neutered,according to everyone's info. Has anyone ever seen a bunny'spersonality change for the worse after the surgery? Is there a timethat is too soon to have this done? How do I ensure that the vet israbbit savy? (I once had a cat that was never the same after she wasfixed - I think they used too much anesthetic or something and shebecame really stupid ie. would ram her head into walls)

Forgive the bluntness of this question, but are all bunnies prone tohumping? Does that come with sexual maturity? My little guy hasn'tstarted, but....

Latest posts

Back