Need Immediate Advice! Foster With Head Tilt Coming at 10am

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
It's 7:30pm at night, we just got a call for an immediate rabbit pickup at 10am. The girl said the rabbit is a 6 month old female, got head tilt at 2 months old, 1 week after she got her from a pet store.

Took it to the vet, vet didn't do any test, just looked in the rabbit's ears, said it was ear mites, and sent the girl on her way with ear drops. Head tilt is now ridiculously bad, the rabbit is rolling, ect.

The girl is moving out of state at noon tomorrow, rabbit cannot come, and we are getting it.

My concern is E. Coniculi and exposure to my rabbits or the rabbits at the rescue. No idea where to turn or what to do. Is it contagious?Signs, symptoms, ect? She said rabbit only had the head tilt and rolling, no loss of leg use but doesn't want to walk much due to the massive head tilt.

Thanks for the link. I'm more concerned about EC than anything else. After reading the articles on the linkyou posted, we've (me and the rescue)had a talk and changed our minds.

We're going to call the girl back and inform her that we're not going to take her (this will be the first surrender we've ever turned away).If she has EC, the vet bills will be too much and the rescue can't worry about speading EC to its herd, or me giving it to any of my rabbits since Iwould be the onefostering her.

Oooh - poor girl. I hope someone takes her as there will be no need for her to be put down. I've treated several cases successfully and had great results.

I hope someone there will be rabbit-savy enough to help out. If I were closer - I'd take her in a heartbeat - she'd probably be up and playing in about 2 or 3 weeks.

It was good of the rescue to at least consider helping her.

Peg

MyBoyHarper wrote:
Thanks for the link.I'm more concerned about EC than anything else. After reading the articles on the linkyou posted, we've (me and ther escue)had a talk and changed our minds.

You must have read the wrong articles. There is no reason to reject this bunny, honestly, it's treatable.
  • E. cuniculi are shed only in the urine.
  • Infectious period lasts only a few days to a few weeks.
  • The infected animal is not contagious after the E. cuniculi leave the kidneys.
  • E. cuniculi are carried in the blood to other parts of the body, particularly neural tissue.
  • Spores from infected urine can remain in the environment for a month.
  • The parasites can infect and be shed by many other animals but seldom cause clinical disease in other animals.
  • A high number of rabbits throughout the United States have been infected at some time during their life, but few come down with the clinical disease.
  • Animals who are compromised are more likely to manifest clinical disease.
  • Neurological damage can be evident long after the parasites leave the kidneys.
  • Necropsies seldom show active parasites in the kidneys but may show scarring where the parasites have been.
  • Testing positive to the parasite only means that the animal has been exposed and is putting forth an immune response. It does not mean that an otherwise healthy animal will show symptoms of the disease.
  • Serology tests recognize immune response but do not distinguish early infections from long term or chronic infections.
Our Own Conclusions

Even with a high titer to E. cuniculi, a rabbit will probably not become disabled. Our study shows about a 12% chance of rabbits with high titers developing neurological disorders. We have known of only a few deaths that may be directly attributable to E. cuniculi infection.Although it may be a contributing factor, it is seldom the primary cause of death.
E. cuniculi infection by itself does not usually even threaten an animal's health. When combined with other problems that strain the immune system, however, its destructive capabilities are greatly enhanced. Testing for E. cuniculi can be helpful in diagnosing rabbits with neurological disorders. When encephalitozoonosis is ruled out,concentration can be placed on other possibilities. When it is present,consideration can be placed on the synergistic effects. Precautions can be taken to protect the rabbit from undue exposure to other diseases and stress. Animals seem to have much less difficulty adjusting to loss of mobility than their humans do. Rabbits who manifest the clinical disease of encephalitozoonosis may stabilize and live comfortably for a prolonged period of time. Barlow (page 6) has lived four happy years,with animal companions and human attention, since his first symptom appeared. As with any chronic illness, our goal is to preserve life with quality.
Conclusion: Even with a high titer to E. cuniculi, a rabbit will probably not become disabled. Our study shows about a 12% chance of rabbits with high titers developing neurological disorders. We have known of only a few deaths that may be directly attributable to E.cuniculi infection. Although it may be a contributing factor, it is seldom the primary cause of death.
Rabbits who do manifest the clinical disease of Encephalitozoonosis can be stabilized and live comfortably for a prolonged period of time.Routine testing can be helpful in diagnosis. When E. cuniculi is ruled out, concentration can be placed on other possibilities. When it is present, consideration can be placed on the synergistic effects.Encephalitozoonosis by itself does not usually threaten an animal's health. When combined with other problems that strain the immune system, its destruction capabilities are greatly enhanced. On the other hand, a positive titer alone does not mean that the rabbit is terminally ill.
Our study has monitored the health of 136 rabbits from the original testing. Their present condition is illustrated in the original printed version of this article.

Oh Danielle, I wish there was something I could do. Im so afraid this girl is just going to put it down or set it free if shes moving tomorrow. Ugh.

I know it's treatable, but it's also contagious.

Chance is sick, Harper is prone to being sick, and I have other other fosters in my care. Other volunteers have sick rabbits, either with head tilt or a stroke, ect. So they can't take her either.

EC is contagious to an extent, and taking the risk of bringing in a possibly infected animal near my animals, or near the 30-something rabbits at the rescue, is not a smart move. There's nowhere else to house her except near our rabbits. Somewhere along the line, we don't feel comfortable doing that.

I never even knew about EC (I'd heard of it, but that was it)until I asked here and Peg posted the links and I started reading. Then I did some research on HRS's website. While not common,it can be passed to other rabbits. And I didn't know that till a minute ago.

Not a risk I'm willing to take.

I would try to drive there and see if they would let me take her - but I can't afford the gas right now for a1200 mile trip.....

I'm hoping they don't put her down either....because it really is so easy to treat...

I wonder if she (the owner) would consider asking if the Houston area rescue would take her? I think they're pretty big.

Peg

Haley wrote:
Oh Danielle, I wish there was something I could do. Im so afraid this girl is just going to put it down or set it free if shes moving tomorrow. Ugh.

She's had it for what, four months?Somebody correct me if there's a chance I'm wrong, but I'm sure it's no longer contagious. And the contact would need to be extremely close regardless.

I'd suggest doing a little more reading ofthe more recent studies. It's a very misunderstood ailment. :(

I'd take her here if she could get this far.

sas

From the UK's HRS, this is what my question was referring to:

"One month after infection, a rabbit will start to shed spores in its urine. Shedding of spores continues for up to three months and possibly on and off for life. The spores are tough little things and remain in the environment for more than a month."

And my understanding is, the spores are what it contagious. If she can shed them off and on her whole life, that sounds as if she can be contagious off and on her whole life.

She would have to be housed in the same room as either Harper (my room), or Chance, Thumper and my fosters (spare room). Either way,she'd be with my bunnies and that's why I'm being so neurotic about this. That, and we have no cheap rabbit-savvy vets that the rescue can actually afford on this new rabbit, when we have 3 more surrenders coming next week that may need vet care. We have to be meticulous on how much and where rescue money is spent.

So if I sound like I'm being a pain, I have my concerns and that's the only reason why.

The rescue decided to take herafter lots of begging from the owner. We switched all the rabbits, including Harper, into one room, and she's isolated in my room. We were going to board her at the vet for blood tests and treatment and then pick her up whenever they were done, but the vet is going to be closed till Monday.So she's here for the weekend.

Here's a few pics, her name is "Merri".

merri1.jpg

merri2.jpg

merri3.jpg

merri4.jpg

God Bless you guys for taking her. Looking at her pics just breaks my heart.

So we dont know if its the result of an ear infection or EC yet? Have you checked out the advice Peg posted in f_j's thread (Barbi Browns recommended treatment)?

No Haley, she didn't do the blood test because shewas closing early todayand the results have to go to LSU for analysis and they are closed for Easter break. So we weren't able to get anything done today.

She's a pretty little gal though.

She'll do fine and your others should be fine as well.

I've had many come in with various stages of head tilt andnone of the other bunnies have ever gotten anything from them.

Sometimes people think they have to put them down as the bunny does not look like it's doing well but they always get worse before they get better. One of mine at the moment is just starting to be able to stand up with out rolling or falling over and she is back to using a water bottle.

I think a lot of the head tilt panic follows alot of the same panic that pasturella used to cause. I'm not saying that it doesn't but in all the bunnies I've ever dealt with, none have ever gotten sick form a head tilt bun in their areas.

I hope she does well and thank goodness you guys took her in.

Oh my gosh, she is gorgeous. She looks like my Lola :(. The poor girl, thank goodness you took her. I wish I lived close, I would take her in a second. I know you have a lot on your plate right now. I just can't believe someone could just give her up,especially with her condition. I hope the vet is able to do something. She is just so gorgeous.

:XI want her.

Oh you noticed. :D

Latest posts

Back