Need Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringer

Reaction score
My boy bunny, Brownie has something wrong with his skin and fur. He is losing fur in spots and itching/scratching like crazy. Could it be mites? If so what do I put on him to sooth it? Can I use a cat preparation for mites?

He has been playing under the Christmas tree and I am wondering if he's either allergic or there might be bugs in there somewhere.

It is extremely hard to get to the rabbit vet two towns away. I am vision impaired and cannot drive that far. Husband works. Vet closeby says I need to take my rabbits there as he can't treat my rabbits any longer, he does mostly cats and dogs.

Any ideas? I don't like to see poor Brownie suffering with itching and he's losing fur in spots.

If you are unable to have your rabbit examined by a veterinarian, you can try kitten flea powder.

Please keep us updated.

Pam

Hi!

It sounds like mites more than fleas, it certainly is a fur/skin condition, however, you should really take your bunny to the vet for a confirmed diagnosis and treatment.

Meantime, you can take a look at the most informative file under the name "fur mites" in the Rabbit Health section, here in RO.

Marietta

It could be ring worm. Is the skin irritated and red looking? I've never expereinced ring worm personally, but I know it can cause bald patches. We don't have a section in the reference on ring worm, just on mites. So here's a link to the section on mites:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11992&forum_id=10

It could also be a really bad moult. Is there any new fur coming in the bald patches? Is the fur coming out all over but is just really bad in a few places?

If it's mites or ringworm, the bunny will need to go to the vet to get medicated. If it's just a really bad moult, then you can just brush lots and make sure he's getting lots of fiber (hay).

Where are the missing patches of fur? Could you get a picture?

I'm sure more will be along shortly with more ideas and information.

--Dawn

Brownie is losing fur all over his back but badly in one area where it's down to the skin and there is a fairly large patch missing. I am now afraid to medicate him myself as he could react badly. I don't like pesticides.

I'm going to call around tomorrow and see if anyone else closeby can see rabbits. I'm scared to treat him myself as the medicine could hurt him too. I checked again today and notice many more flakes of tannish brownish things that look like pieces of the aspen wood chips in his porch litter box, but honestly I don't know what they are. I used a flea comb and couldn't see anything definitive except for these flakes which seem to be everywhere, even on his neck and head. I feel badly for him. he is very sweet and always is happy no matter what. A very gentle soul.

Marietta wrote:
Hi!

It sounds like mites more than fleas, it certainly is a fur/skin condition, however, you should really take your bunny to the vet for a confirmed diagnosis and treatment.

Meantime, you can take a look at the most informative file under the name "fur mites" in the Rabbit Health section, here in RO.

Marietta

Kitten flea powder can be used to treat rabbit fur mites. I use Sevin dust (Carbaryl), which is the same ingredient as many kitten flea powders.

Human fungal powder from the pharmacy can be used to treat fungal infections in rabbits.

Rabbits may have a reaction to any substance applied to the skin - a benefit of the powders is that they can be washed off. In the case of Carbaryl toxicity, symptoms generally subside as soon as the product is washed off the skin (I've used Carbaryl for many years with out any cases of toxicity).

Pam

These "tannish brownish things" you spotted could very well be mites. This is how they look, and the color fits also. Try a magnifying glass, they look like tiny spiders, which are not visible without magnification.

Marietta

Latest posts

Back