need help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caramel

Reaction score
caramel needs to loose weight but i dont knowhow to get her to do that, i took her for a free health check and shesaid that caramel is a little over weight :(:( i feel bad now as thoughive neglected her, i dont give her much food, i give her 3bits of veg with loads of hay and some of her food morning and night,im letting her out all weekend and trying to get her out during theweek but she is stubborn and wont come out, what should i do to get herto loose weight please help :anyone:

how old is she? they say if she isover 8 months old, then limit the pellets to 1/2 a cup per day, or evenonly 1/3 cup per day if your bun is a small breed. and,refrain from all sweet treats

and yes, getting her out of the cage and let her exercise is alsoimportant. i know it is hard to do sometimes as i amstruggling with the same stubborness of my maomaochiu.

My rabbits also have wt issues. Are they on atimothy or alfalfa pellet? You could switch them over ( by mixing) to atimothy pellet and measure the amt that you give them. My buns getunlimited hay, a big salad and the 4 chubby ones get only about 1/8thcup pellets a day. They live in small animal pens so do notget as much exercise as free-roam.

I've had Bangbang on a diet for a month now and she has lost weight.
I have been feeding her
1/2 pellets
1/4 musesli
Unlimited hay
Every second day fresh food
On top of that she gets regular exercise everyday, at least 3 hours of free garden run time
I've also tried spreading her greens out around the cage and put the hay in tubes etc so she has to work to eat it.
It was gradual but its worked.

Next to work on is the Guinea pigs waist line......

The person we got our Pumpkin from said that shehad been severely overweight. Jess stopped the fresh stuffaltogether for a while, and gave her absolutely no treats.She just had about 1/4 cup of pellets per day, and unlimited hay andwater. She is "just right" now, but it took quite awhile. The poor girl was so overweight that she couldn't evenclean her own bum.....when she tried, she just kind of toppledover! The folks that had her before never let her out of hercage, so exercise was a good addition, too. Hope thishelps.....

caramel is 5months will be 6months on 6th March,she was on the tesco own brand but nurse said to put her on the pets athome complete pellets as she wasnt eating the pellets from the otherone, dont worry i havent switched her completely as A. i dont want itto upset her stomach and B. i only went and bought a brand new bag offood so im putting little bits in at a time, im only giving her bout 2table spoons of food a day along with hay and twoveg

If you can I would switch her to either suparabbit excel pellets, science selective pellets or Allen and Pagepellets. Unfortunately a lot of the others don't have the right balanceof ingredients in and can cause health problems as well as weight gainin rabbits.:?

Thsi post has made me think. Bugsy iseatingExel pellets too - and at my last vet visit theyrecommended them. Bugsy has some fresh veg about twice aweekbut I give a bowl of pellets twice a day and unlimitedhay - is that too much?

Bugsy does has a lot of exercise though - she has freeaccess to the runday and night.

That does sound like quite a lot of pellets, howold is she? I know younger rabbits should have unlimited pellets asthey need more energy to grow. To give you an idea my girls (bear inmind they are standard rexes) have 3 egg cups full of science selectivepellets each a day, a bowl each of greens/herbs/veggies, unlimitedmeadow hay and a couple of handfuls each of orchard grass as a treat.;)

Bugsy's 6 months old - quite young Ithought. True, she doesn't finish a whole bowl of pellets inone sitting - but I do top it up each evening.

Back