Need help.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender32

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need a little emotional help. I lost a great rabbit on July 1st, he had to be put down.

I'm still kind of going through some emotional problems, because he wasmy baby for over 6 years. I was crushed when i lost him.

Now comes the time where i need to decide if i can handle a new rabbit.I am 14, and i will probably be in my 20's in a rabbit life span. Ireally want a new bunny, but the death of my other rabbit still lingersover me. I miss him alot.

So i ask you guys, how do i go about thinking about this? Should iaccept death for what it is and bring a new rabbit into my life, orshould i hold off and avoid any more emotional damage?

I'm really sorry to hear about your rabbit. It is very hard, but we are all here for you.:hug2

The decision of getting another rabbit is always a personal choice and how you feel about.

When I lost my rabbit, at first I thought I could never have anotherbecause I couldn't stand the pain ,of losing another bun. Buteverday when I would go home and see the empty cage it would make mefeel even worse.

If you do get another rabbit you need to understand that none will ever replace your baby and will have their own personality.

If you decide to get another bun you can adopt one in honor of the onethat just past. Its like her passing enabled you to save the lifeanother rabbit that desperatly needs a home.

So only you know if you are ready to get another rabbit, but the prescence of another bunny may help ease the pain.

:innocent:clover::pray::pink iris:

Im so sorry for your loss. I cant imagine thepain you are in and I know its difficult to decide whether or not tobring another bunny into your life.

One thing I would consider, with your age, are your plans for collegeetc before bringing another bunny home. A lot of people forget, likeyou said, the lifespan of a rabbit and teenagers tend to overlook whatthey will do with a pet in the future. I know I would have.

If you feel like its a committment you can make, I would say bringinganother rabbit into your life would probably be pretty great. Sometimesjust having another rabbit there to love and hold can help you grieveover your lost friend and provide a world of comfort. There are tons ofrabbits in shelters (and even some on our site) in need of lovinghomes.

Just a few ideas. Again, Im so sorry for your loss, and welcome to the forum :)

-Haley

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your bunny.

I think this is more of a question you have to answer for yourself butI will give you a bit of advice. Losing a beloved pet is a horriblething, as you well know.When the time comes to get a new pet,I thinkyou have to ask yourself if the pain of death is afair trade-off for thejoyful yearsthat you get withyour pet. Everyone differs in how they grieve and how long they grieve.I, myself, prefer to get a new pet relatively quickly after I've lostone. Understand this is in no way a replacement for the lost pet, buymy own way to grieve. I feel a lot better if I have a new pet to carefor and to love. It helps me fill the hole in my heart from the loss.Other people prefer to wait longer. Once again, it's just a personalpreference. No matter how many pets you have, death never gets anyeasier. I know that when I remember all of my pets that have crossedthe bridge, I don't think so much about their deaths as I remember allof the joy and happiness they brought to my life, no matter how long orshort that time was. And I'm thankful for the time that I got to havewith them.

My advice is that if you really want a new bunny and you can accept thefact that it too will reach the end of its lifespan, you should goahead and bring a new bunny into your life.

Heather

Sorry about your loss. Even if you do getanother bun or not you still have to remember death is a part of life.When you can accept that, you'll be ablecherish the momentsyou guys had and you're always going to have that. So myadvice would be get that last big cry out of your system and keepmoving on. The happiness he brought you will always be around.

I'm so sorry about your loss. Ifyou're unsure about whether you're ready for another rabbit yet, whynot volunteer to help with rabbits at a shelter? While youcare for them and play with them you should be able to get a good senseof if you're ready for one of your own yet. You'll also learntheir personalities, and if one seems to be calling to you then you'llknow which one to take home.

I think that yes, you should get another rabbit eventually.Death is a natural part of life, and just because you loved your rabbitdoesn't mean you can't love another one. But there's no needto rush. It's okay to grieve for your friend. Andyou'll want to make sure that you can take care of him when you don'tlive with your parents anymore. There are several collegestudents with rabbits here and you could talk to them about it.

I made my decision yesterday, and i have a newrabbit now. I know it won't replace my buddy, but it feels good havinganother one to care for.

I still miss him greatly though, he was a great pet.

I'm a college student so PM me anytime. I'mstill new too but thanks to most the people here I know if there isever a problem there is some place I can turn and that seems to be thekey to owning a happy rabbit.:bunnydance:

Happy for you. Could we see pics?

Latest posts

Back