need help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekygirls

Reaction score
i have a male lionhead, ive had him a few yearsnow, but i noticed when i last let him out in the garden, his backendwas covered in poo, quite thick as well, i wash him and sorted himout,but it seems to happen all the time now, can anyone tell me why?:(. kerry.

Have you read the diarrhea thread in Rabbit Health References? There's lots more info here.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11935&forum_id=10

It could be a lot of things, but I'd suspect that he has mushy cecals,and too many of them. This is often related to a high proteindiet in adult rabbits. If your rabbit is eating alfalfapellets, switch to timothy pellets. Only give him a limitedamount too, and make sure he's eating lots of timothy or other grass(not alfalfa) hay.

Some rabbits will have this problem from veggies, or from pellets ingeneral. Obesity can also be a cause (and can also bepartially caused by alfalfa pellets) and can prevent him from cleaninghimself.

Is it happening when you let him out in thegarden?It could be that he's eatingrichspring grass and/or other plants that areupsetting hissystem. That commonly happens this time ofyear. If it's the excess cecals, then as above, hay and wateris usually the ticket.

It's also very importantto watch for bloat. If hehas sudden and bad diarrhea and/or a very bloated stomach,heshould be immediatelyrushed to the vet.This is the bloat season.

Let us know how he'sdoing!

he does eat grass when hes in the garden, but ihave 5 other rabbits and its only him that gets in that mess, they alleat the same food, so i dont know why its just him.kerry:bunnydance:.

Back