Need help with rabbit diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Have started to give my rabbit veggies but only veggies he’s used with, but I’ve notice some lettuce he get mushy droopings or a lot of cecotropes. He dosen’t get any gas building veggies as broccoli and any sort of cabbage because he get really easy gas, my little bun.

My rabbit get 1 tablespoon alfalfa pellets, I’m slowly changing his pellets to versle laga cuni complete in the morning. Veggies he gets at the evening, he can’t have pellets and veggies at the same time or his stomach get upset. He’ll get gas, bloating and get mushy droppings +cecotropea if he eat veggies and pellets at the same time. He also get 1-2 dried berry during the day, right now he gets cranberry or papaya as a treat.

My rabbit have hay 24/7 which I have to fill up twice a day often. And he have fiber rich droppings during the day as long the veggies and pellets dosen’t get too close. I often feed him pellets and veggies during the hours when he dosen’t eat hay, it’s often sometime during playtime or when he’s resting.

Need help with great veggies you can give which have vitamins, fiber and iron. Which are good to give to a rabbit.

Last edited:
He’s 8 months old and I give him arugula, romaine sometimes and batavia. He’s also use with spinach but not getting it this month.

Started to introduce spinach, arugula,parsley and some other veggies and fruits + berries when he was a kit around 12 weeks.

If you think it's the lettuce, try not feeding it and see if the problems clear up. If they do, then he may just not be able to tolerate lettuce or maybe just the romaine, but could be ok with green or red leaf, and other dark leafy greens. If the probelm doesn't clear up when you stop the lettuce, then it might be something else causing it. I would suspect the fruit as the most likely culprit, and try not feeding that for several days to even a couple of weeks, to see if there's an improvement.

I am not sure how old your rabbit is you said at 12 weeks you started introducing veggies and fruits you should steer away from starting kits under 6 months old from anything other than their pellets/grain and hay diet. Some breeders will also say stay away from alfalfa pellets I have been raising rabbits for @27 years and always fed alfalfa but be cautious about the amount you feed and with so many new veggies etc it may just be an overload of new foods in general normally I tend to limit any rabbit even older ones to 1 new food a week evrn adding a new grain to their pellet mix I do not add more than one at a time and only once a week and generally to half my herd at a time so thete is not as many to watch so intently for that first week after a new food is introduced. Also make sure your bunny is getting his pellets as main food as you said you generally give pellets in the hours he doesnt eat hay it should be the opposite free feed hay is great but pellets need to be his go to 1st. hay is great for fibre etc but it is only basically a belly filler. When reafing you post it just seems you have way to many changes in his diet adding new veggies and fruits and changing pellet brands etc 1 change at a time is vital a rabbits GI tract is very easy to irritate so my advice is to back off the changes for at least one week and during this week decide which change is most important to his health and start there once that transition is done successfully go to the next and I think you will see a bunny with no problems with getting bloated or gassy and a healthier thriving and growing wonderful new companion and also a lot less for you to be stressful over not having to constantly watching over him for signs of digestion issues. I hope this helps a little and feel free if you have any other questions or concerns I will try my best to help any one out if I can. Just to assure anyone concerned I have 27 + years with raising rabbits for show and pets and I also work with and own many other animals dogs, cats, horses and cattle etc I also studied my animal sciences vet tech and other medical and supportive care areas as well as having worked in past and current in many different fields and areas with animals as well as running and owning my own animal rescue for 25+ years including pretty much any species I don't say no to taking in any creature in need I currently have @ 112 rabbits as well as 3 dogs cats horses and a now 1400lbs steer named Fletcher.

I am not sure how old your rabbit is you said at 12 weeks you started introducing veggies and fruits you should steer away from starting kits under 6 months old from anything other than their pellets/grain and hay diet.
¨

My rabbit got alfalfa pellets as a kit from the breeder and I didn't get any changing pellets from the breeder so I had to buy new pellets kind which he was used with so he didn't get a food change, he was suppose to get versle laga cuni complete after the pellet change but then I would have a big bag of alfalfa pellet just laying around so I fed it to him and now changing to the pellets he's supposed to have from the start. He's 8 months old.

He only got one arula leaf and so on with all the new treats, veggies, really small amounts which didn't make his droppings mushy this was during 12 weeks - 6 months, he can handle spinach without problem and when I started it was really small size for example he got 1/4 banana slice as a kit. My rabbit it's use with getting a treat as fruits or berries so I know it's not the problem. My rabbit eats all his pellets and then fall a sleep after eating it. That's why I give it during the hours he dosen't eat hay or he will just eat the pellets and the droppings get bad if it during the hours he eats hay.

I'll take away the lettuce and just give him red leaf and arula, and make it a smaller amount. He won't get a treat in a couple of days because he got it during the weekend when I had a dog in the house. But I'm starting to think the alfalfa pellets it's the problem because before I started to change his pellet, he had started to get mushy droppings from just hay and alfalfa pellets.

Last edited:
It is a very good chance it definitely could be try cutting out the alfalfa totally and maybe when he is older and more regulated in a feed routine etc you could try a few tiny pellets a day for like a month to see if they affect him if so just toss them its not worth his health for sure or if you know someone with horses or goats they can probably use them

Latest posts

Back