Need Help With NIC Cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm building an NIC cage too (in the process).The sign store I went to wanted to sell me coroplast for a lot ofmoney! And my bunny's a chewer, so I couldn't use carpet. What I didwas get pegboard (the kind many people use in their garage to hangtools, etc.) cut to size and put vinly self-adhesive tiles on it. (Iguess you could use plywood or something, but I needed holes, so thepegboard already had them) I just finished the bottom floor, so Ihaven't really tried it out, but she seems to enjoy the shelf. It hasenough traction so it's not slippery, but it would be easy to clean upspills, so I hope it's going to work out well.

If your bunny is too small to jump to the next shelf (mine is a littlesmall too right now), maybe you can lower it? I used zip ties (or cableties) instead of the connectors so that I could put the shelf a squareor two lower on the grid.

I know how you feel about the space issue as well. I'm making a smallercage than I would've liked to make. But this new cage has 3 times asmuch floor space, so it's not the perfect size, but it's an upgrade! Iassume it's the same for your bunny? That cage looks bigger than mostrabbit cages under $100 or so :)

gwhoosh wrote:
Iknow how you feel about the space issue as well. I'm making a smallercage than I would've liked to make. But this new cage has 3 times asmuch floor space, so it's not the perfect size, but it's an upgrade! Iassume it's the same for your bunny? That cage looks bigger than mostrabbit cages under $100 or so :)
yeah, here isa pic of the cage he came with:

PICT0256.jpg

oh and gwhoosh, thanks for the idea of loweringthe 2nd level, funny how sometimespeople (at leastme)dont think of the obvious lol. that is a greatidea im going to do it. and going to look at coroplasttomorrow )

updated pic of cage. it still isnt completely done yet. too many levels?

he didnt jump up there by himself. i put him on the top leveland he eventually jumped down to the 2nd, im waiting for him to make itdown to the bottom but i might have to move him down theremyself. Then maybe he will jump back up on his own at somepoint since the pellets are up there.

SDCARD1094.jpg

Great job! I'll bet he'll be shelf hopping in no time.

Has he tried the litter box yet?

Tip: When you clean the litter box, savea few of his poos to put back in so it will smell like him.Gross, I know, but if it helps train him, it's worth it.

he must have used his litter box because he wasin his cage all night and there is no pee on the puppy pads, theres alot of poop on the pads but the pee was my main concern anyway.

How often should i clean the litter box?

He is jumping up and down on his shelfs now:):rabbithop

i am so proud of this little boy.

i set up my hamster playpen outside his cage so he can get a littleexcercise without the dog trying to play with him cause he doesnt likethat. it also keeps him safe from electric cords andeverything else. should i put anything in there to make itfun?

You can see the cats (Kya)head and the dogs (Sadie) feetin the first picture.

SDCARD1100.jpg

Sadie wants to play with him so badly!

SDCARD1099.jpg

Aw, that's great! You're doing such a good job with him!

I clean my litter boxes every 3-4 days or whenever they smell.

Give him paper towel or toilet paper cardboard tubes to play with and chew.

If you have any hard plastic baby toys (like rattles or rings), he can have those, too.

Aww that looks great!

I usually clean the litter box inside of the cage every morning. Thebox in the room doesn't get used as often and I can go about a weekbefore changing it.

Maybe some cardboard tubes or boxes would be fun for him to chew on? Doyou know how he likes to play (e.g. chewing, tossing, rolling, etc.)?My bunny loves to play with a fleece blanket to push around and crawlunder, that's a nice, easy toy :) I'm sure you have a good bunny(unlike mine :mad:), but make sure he doesn't jump over the fencebecause it's made for hamsters, so it's a little low.

It seems to me you're doing a good job :D

I can't help you at all with the cage because I don't have an NIC cage.

But I just wanted to say what a great job you are doing for this littleman, you will find it very hard to give him up:(...how about youjustkeep him!?!:elephant:

what i use is a thick plastic thing, that youwould put an office rolling chair on it. then i also flipped a rugupside down and put that on top of the plastic thing. so if he peed oranything it wouldnt go through to my carpet.

okay i picked up the coroplast today a 3'x6'piece for $11 and then when i was at target getting more grids (fororganization in a closet this time) and zip ties, i found a rubbermaidclear plastic bin for $15 that fits perfectly :p except its alittle long so i can either make the cage a little longer or use theextra space in the bin to keep his food.

or i can still make a coroplast base since i already have it

i can also put the coroplast on his shelfs and take out that cardboard.

does anyone have a link on how exactly to construct a base with sides out of coroplast?

hes still pottying in his litter box :)

thanks haley and i forgot to say that i alsopicked up a fleece blanky for him and he already has baby toys and somestuffed animals:)

i just cut the coroplast to fit the bottom...then cut four sides and drilled a hole in the end of each side piece...i used a zip tie to attach the four together... so they won't falldown... and VOILA! i was done.

Here is the new improved new cage. itsbigger than the original i was making. i still need to finishthe roof and make 2 doors. im not sure how im going to makethe doors yet. i know where i want to put them just not surehow im going to go about it yet. i gave a little apple, greenleafy lettuce, and carrot today and he LOVED it. he seemshappy in his cage. when i get near him i can hear him makinga very faint humming sound. does that mean anything?

PICT0278.jpg

:great:

That is great!

Not sure about the humming, may be purring, rabbits can pur with their teeth (though I've never actually heard it myself)

Back