Need help with litter training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvmybuns

Reaction score
Pepsi and Ozzy are not caged. They have free roam of my bedroom all day and night. They have always been very good about litter habits. (both fixed adults)

A few months ago I stopped sleeping in my bed (Yeah im weird)

And in the last few weeks they have deciced it is their new giant litterbox. Well, I want to start sleeping in it again and I am washing my sheets everyday.......annoying.

Anyone? There is no way to block it off, and I would rather not start caging them.

Are they using it as a potty when you are sleeping or when you're not there?

I would try putting a couple extra litter boxes up on your bed when your not sleeping in it. And is there any way you could cover your bed with a shower curtain or something that is not absorbent?

--Dawn

OOh the shower curtain is a good idea if they don't burrow under it.

Haha, they don't do it when I'm in the bed. That would be pretty funny though...

I have tried the other litterboxes thing before and it never worked they always just pick one... and then poop next to the others:foreheadsmack:

And eventually they grew out of it and have only been using their one under the hay. This just isn't something I'd like to wait and see if they grow out of it...

Just thought of something else. You could also try to get a couple mats that are supposed to go under your office chair. And put them on your bed upside down so the little poky bits stick up. It should make the buns not want to go on your bed because it will be uncomfortable.

After a while, you should be able to take them off permanently. I find once the buns get into a habit, they'll stay in that habit until things change. So you just need to get them into the habit of not going on your bed or using it as a potty. Once they stop, it should be okay until things change around again.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
Just thought of something else. You could also try to get a couple mats that are supposed to go under your office chair. And put them on your bed upside down so the little poky bits stick up. It should make the buns not want to go on your bed because it will be uncomfortable.

WOW! you're mean! LOL!

What a great idea tho!

They also have the carpet protectors with those! and the curtain - you could get something like oil cloth that they sell in fabric departments in huge rolls.

aurora369 wrote:

I use those floor mats for the flooring of all of our pens. Just be very careful about those little poky thingies.....I've sliced my fingers open on them several times. Ow!

I've always used "Neat Sheets" for protecting the carpets and/or furniture. They'd probably work great for on the bed.

I know people use those for keeping cats and dogs off of beds/couches. So I figure it might work for bunnies too.

I would try it as a last resort, as it is pretty mean. But it would do the job of teaching them not to go up on the bed any more.

--Dawn

Haha that might be mean but they'd learn quick....

No I could just put them with the pokeys down so at least it protects my sheets...Geez.

Then I guess I'll have to spend a few nights watching them with the water bottle.... I guess if this is my biggest problem I shouldn't be complaining huh? hehe

Thanks for the ideas!!

What out those 'mat' type things used mostly for cats? Drs. Foster and Smith have one that 'Emits loud tone that scares cat away'. that might work.

Latest posts

Back