need help with last steps of litter training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovepets

Reaction score
starting a few weeks ago, i started litter training Snickers again. it went really well seeming that all the other times i have tried, she found it more fun to more the box and go in the tray instead. so far, she is great with going in the box in her cage, except for some poops that i find in the tray below. she has her own partially finished room in the basement and i let her out all day long with her litter box, food, water, hay, toys etc… and i close the door to her cage. i did this so she learns that she can go in her litter box when it is outside the cage. she has done very well with that (except for one little accident). today i brought her in my room for the real test. she has all the essentials and i have a litter box/food/water/hay corner in my room. i have a towel and 4 foam tiles on top of it. she has been peeing in the box (though i did find a little oops on the tile), but she has been mostly pooping/ only pooping outside the box all over my floor. how do i get her to poop in the box like she usually does? when i fist did this in her room, she did not poop out of the box, she actually didn't poop much at all when the litter box was outside of the cage. i have also noticed today that her pee is turning the shavings orangish. when she peed on the tile it looked normal, but when i wiped it up the paper towel soon turned orange… help!

I think your expectations for what it means for a rabbit to be litter box trained, may be a bit high. Rabbits are considered litter box trained if they consistently pee in the litter box. Poops are a whole different matter. Rabbits use their poop to mark territory. Spaying can help reduce this urge somewhat, may even completely help end this behavior. Placing hay in the litter box can also help as rabbits poop while they eat. As a rabbit gets more used to their area, the poop marking may decrease a little or completely or not at all. When a new animal is brought into the home or the rabbit is put in a new area, the poop marking may start all over again. This is what sounds like has happened when you brought your bun to your room. New area your bun had to mark. You may just have to wait out the poop marking, or if she isn't spayed try that, it may also help to keep plenty of hay filled litter boxes handy. Poop marking is natural rabbit behavior. Usually you just have to wait for the bun to get used to the new area and hope it will subside. Because your bun is good in her other areas, I would guess the poop marking won't go on too long.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-litter-training.asp

I have one suggestion. It might be better to not lock her out of her cage as this is a safe place for her if she were to get scared of something or just tired and want to nap, as well as another place that she is used to peeing and pooping. Unless you have found her litter box habits are better when the cage is shut, then it's probably ok, but you'll want to make sure she has a place she can hide if needed.

Orange pee is normal in rabbits. The color of pee can change depending on what they are getting in their diet, as well as the urine being exposed to air.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

Snickers was spayed as soon as she was old enough (she's 3 years old now). She has been in my room before and never popped on my floor, she has peed on my bed a few times though. After I made that post, she did start pooping in her box :p in her room she is perfectly fine with being locked out, she prefers to lay on the cool floor rathe than in her cage. She also is really good with her littler box there and the only poop that gets on the floor is from when she jumps out (which it's really not a lot of poop). Tomorrow if its not too hot I will bring her in my room again. I also always keep hay infront of her litter box :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back