need help with hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetie

Reaction score
I am having to post this but I have run out of hay for my rabbits. I have run out of Timothy hay and Orchard grass hay. The vet said that Prince needs to eat timothy hay and orchard grass hay as they have more calcium in them for the bones. He said absolutely no alfalfa hay, because it has too much calcium.

If anyone can help me out with some hay until Sept 21, 2010, it would greatly be appreciated. I do have a little bit of money I can give for the hay, like $10 to $15.

I checked Farmland and the timothy hay and orchard grass is sold only in 60lbs bale. I have no room to put it.

I will have the $10 to $15 at the middle of next month.

If anyone can help me with hay until Sept 21, 2010, it will be greatly appreciated.

Do you not live near a local farm that could sell you a bale of grass hay? I get a whole bale for about £3.50....which is like.....$5, and it would last you a while!

While you are out of hay, give them fresh grass instead, until you get hay. Hay is essentially just dried grass, so give them grass until someone can help you out or you can buy some hay. IF they haven't had grass before then you will have to introduce it slowly over a period of time, and I am not sure it's best to introduce a new 'veggie' when there's no hay to suppliment and help the G.I tract. Anyone got any advice on this theory?

Hay doesn't have to cost much at all, especially if you shop around and look for good deals. Even getting it online might be cheap- I am not sure.
$10 should buy you at least one bale of hay. Even if you have to leave half of it behind (perhaps storing it at a friends or neighbours?) you'll still have plenty of hay for quite a small amount of money.

:)
Jen

I never thought about the grass. I will do that. I live near Farmland. As I send in my OP, Farmland only has 60lb bale. I don't have any where to store it at the moment.

But I will do the grass until I can get some hay.

My rabbits get veggies when I can get veggies.

How much is the 60lb bale? Is there no way you can store the extra anywhere? I get a 25lb bale for £3.50, so even if you buy the bale but don't bring it all home, you're still gonna get your 15 dollars worth or whatever hay anyone else would be able to help you out with anyway.

Jen

At Farmland a 60lb bale of timothy hay is about $9, a 60lb bale is about $13.

There is no way I can store that much hay in my apartment. I can talk to my neighbor and see if they can store half of it for me, but I don't think that they have much room in their apartment.

jcottonl02 wrote:
How much is the 60lb bale? Is there no way you can store the extra anywhere? I get a 25lb bale for £3.50, so even if you buy the bale but don't bring it all home, you're still gonna get your 15 dollars worth or whatever hay anyone else would be able to help you out with anyway.

Jen
If Farmland doesn't charge much for the bale then just take what you can of it to get you by until Sept.

Can you but half a bale of hay? Theirs a place up here in Canada that sells half bales. They are quite expensive though, thanks to a wonderful member on here I can now get a bale of hay for $5.00, except the are out of hay right now and it's raining too darn much here for them to harvest it. :grumpy

I'm getting really low too.

I bought a Bale Bag last year, it was a little pricey but it sure keeps the hay fresh and I don't have to worry about it getting mouldy.

Susan:)

I hope they can do, but I'd understand if a non-bunny lover wouldn't want hay everywhere lol :p.

Well in that case I'd just buy the $9 bale and take and store as much as you can. Seems to save a lot of time and effort. Having said that, though, if you can only store a few days worth then that's not a sensible suggestion of mine at all.
Try fibre-rich veggies eg cabbage, sprouts, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, green pepper http://www.articlesbase.com/wellness-articles/a-fibrerich-diet-for-constipation-375970.html
some of those are obviously not safe for buns but just reference it to a safe veggy list
Also give grass, and other safe fibrous foods (I am sure you can find some sites that will tell you) until you can sort the hay situation out. If you can let them graze on grass for at least a few hours every day that should really help, but if you don't have a garden then that probably won't be possible.

:) Hope it all works out

Jen

angieluv wrote:
jcottonl02 wrote:

Jen
If Farmland doesn't charge much for the bale then just take what you can of it to get you by until Sept.
Yeah that's what I thought too.

:) Jen

Angieluv: you just gave me an idea.

I will have to talk to my neighbor first though. I have to see if she can store 30lbs of hay, if I were to get the 60lb hay from Farmland. My neighbor has a guinea pig and a chinchilla that eat hay. I might be able to do that.

I will have to get the timothy hay next month and then the orchard grass in August.

jcottonl02 wrote:
I hope they can do, but I'd understand if a non-bunny lover wouldn't want hay everywhere lol :p.

Well in that case I'd just buy the $9 bale and take and store as much as you can. Seems to save a lot of time and effort. Having said that, though, if you can only store a few days worth then that's not a sensible suggestion of mine at all.
Try fibre-rich veggies eg cabbage, sprouts, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, green pepper http://www.articlesbase.com/wellness-articles/a-fibrerich-diet-for-constipation-375970.html
some of those are obviously not safe for buns but just reference it to a safe veggy list
Also give grass, and other safe fibrous foods (I am sure you can find some sites that will tell you) until you can sort the hay situation out. If you can let them graze on grass for at least a few hours every day that should really help, but if you don't have a garden then that probably won't be possible.

:) Hope it all works out

Jen
That is what I am going to do with Sweetie, but Prince cannot hop around too much still. His leg is still healing from the accident he had last month. That is what I am trying to do is get hay for Prince, so he can get the calcium so his leg bone can heal.

Sweetie will be able to graze in the grass for a few hours a day, but Prince will not be able to until his leg heals and he gets the pin taken out.

Try calling some local farms and see if they will let you clean out their hay loft. Take a Rubbermaid bin or garbage bag and a rake with you and you will have tons of hay within a matter of minutes. They will probably let you do it for free because you are helping them by cleaning up their loft.

I have done this before and its a great money saver!

Currently I'm getting Timothy hay here to India from us/uk websites. If you can send the hay to me(via eBay) I'm very happy much to pay you upto $3 per lb including the shipping cost to India. I can buy up to 30lb. If you are interested to send it to me let me know. This way you can also make upto $90 for this 30lb.

Latest posts

Back