Need Help with Food Please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momofmany

Reaction score
I finally came back to the forum yesterday to post about our two bunnies that had passed away and since we don't know why they died, I feel like I need to look at EVERYTHING we are doing to make sure we are doing everything correctly.

In mid-December, when we brought our bunnies into our home, I went to our local Feed Store, which has been in business for years and is extremely reputable, and purchased hay and pellets for our bunnies.

I purchased a bag of pellets that is called Rabbit Chow Complete. Now, this bag is a clear bag of pellets that the Feed Store repackages from, I'm assuming, a large quantity of pellets and they fill into 5 lb. bags for resale. There is no ingredient list or nutritional value printed on their sticker, just the words Rabbit Chow Complete. I'm also assuming this is from Purina? This 5 lb bag cost $1.95 plus tax.

My question is, is this sufficient food? I don't know if it is Timothy or Alfalfa pellets. I don't even know which I'm supposed to be feeding--Timothy or Alfalfa pellets? I know there are other brands such as Oxbow and/or Kaytee, but I just don't know what to do. Please, someone advise.

Also, from the same Feed Store, I purchased a regular, farm-size BALE of Timothy Hay. I don't know which cutting it was, as I didn't know at the time to ask. I thought it was a great deal since it was only $5.43 including tax. I don't know how much it weighs, but it is the size bale you'd see stacked in a barn, and I know it is Timothy Hay for sure. It is nice and green and fresh smelling.

Is this the appropriate hay I should be feeding? I see threads here regarding buying hay from Farmer Dave, Oxbow, and other sources, and I just don't know which I'm supposed to be getting.

Since we have a large family (8 including myself & hubby), I hate to say it, but we NEED to be frugal and wise with our money...not because we are ignorant or just don't care, but because my husband suffered a severe injury in the fall, had extensive surgery, and has been on disability and just lost his job last week. I'm saying this because I can't afford to buy the most expensive pellets and hay because I know s/h will increase the price, but I want to provide the best that I can nutrition wise.

Please, I could really use someone to advise me so I can feel comfortable about what I'm feeding, thank you very much.

When we first brought our bunnies home, two of them were only 2 months old and the third was 4 months old. Sadly, our two 2 month old bunnies died in the past week, and now our third bunny is 6 months old.

The breeder where we got them from just told us to buy pellets that were 16% protein and feed them Timothy Hay.

I had been feeding them Rabbit Chow Complete, Timothy Hay, and occassionally some vegetables: Romaine lettuce, Parsley, minimal Baby Carrots (I know carrots have sugar, so I didn't overdue it), and minimal Broccoli (I know broccoli can cause gas, so I didn't overdue it). Also, I've given them some fresh apple slices here and there and dried fruit pieces offered as treats. I know the apple seeds are toxic, so I never fed them those.

At one time I also gave them some Alfalfa bits/chunks of the hay that came packaged by Kaytee, but none of them ate it at all, so I quit offering that.

I need advice as to whether this was wrong or not and if it is okay for me to continue feeding to our 6 month old rabbit.

I also need to know just how much pellets and vegetables should I be feeding and how often? I know to provide unlimited Timothy Hay 24/7, and I already do that.

Thank you.

The bale of hay is a much better bet than the bags of hay, it can be distributed more freely, so that's great. (And they are farfar cheaper!) Any cut of Timothy is good.

The pellets are only so-so, but not by any means harmful. I'd see what else the feed store carries -- Rabbit Chow Plus would be better. The standard Rabbit Chow sits at 16% protein and only between17 and 20% fibre, so higher fiber is better. But honestly, if they're eatinglots of hay and they're getting veggies on top of this, they're getting awesome care.

The six-month old, depending on thebreed and weight, can probably start getting fewer pellets to enourage more hay consumption.

Rabbits can leave us for all sorts of reasons, but I can say with certainty it wasn't the care they were receiving.

So sorry for your loss. :(

sas :(

I agree with Sas. Feeding was not the problem in your case. I've written in your Rainbow Bridge thread that since the deaths were sudden, nodistinctive symptoms shown, and you only had them about 2 months before their death, onecould not be sure on what happened,apart from assuming that therecould have been a virus in the breeder's place. E. cuniculi could have been it from what you described in your thread. In any case, this really doesn't seem diet-related. Lots of hay, clear fresh water everyday, start minimising a bit the pellet quantity, in favour of hay, as Sas suggested. Romaine lettuce may bring diarrhea in some rabbits, so watch out. Dark leefy greens would be anice healthychoice.

Marietta

I wanted to thank BOTH of you so very, very, very much! I really appreciate your help and your kind comments.:)

I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate and enjoy this forum--it provides a wealth of information and is such an incredible source of comfort and support for me.

[align=center]THANK YOU!
[/align]

Latest posts

Back