Need help with a cage desighn

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvall

Reaction score
Ok, so I posted a more broad topic in the Rabbit Forum, but I wanted to as specificly about the cage here. I have an odd little family found on tuesday morning by animal control in a box by the road. Bently , the minni lop, Ace, the chinchilla, and Taz the guinea pig are bonded. They need one LARGE cage to suit their needs. They each need room to play, run, and a little box/bedroom of their own in the cage. Chins need lots of room to climb, and I would like (but it doesn't HAVE to be) levels for Bently and Taz to hang out on. I need lots of room for toys, and plaroom for them to be together, but I also want for them to be able to be alone when they want to be. Anyone have any suggestions?

Making something out of NIC cubes would probably be your best bet. That way you can design it the way you want it with as many levels, and areas as you need. They are easy to build, cheaper then store bought cages and you can make them any size you want.

With a NIC cage you can build a large play area for the rabbit but also have multiple levels for the chin, but the levels will also be big enough for the bunny to get up too.

I would make a cage with wood and chicken wire if its available
make sure the wood isnt treated
then make a few levels maybe with ramps for the 3 but have a spot where only the chin can get to to eat his food. a basic chin food with JUST pellets is best. and dont forget chin dust. they need a bath every other day, that you will want to do out of the cage

is the rabbit fixed?

I'm a fan of the X pens but it sounds like you need something with a roof. Although I've never built an NIC condo, I think they look amazing. That would probably be your best bet for customizable and multi-level. And you can change it if the current layout doesn't work.

thanks guys! Buy talking to you, and my local vet, and small animal welfare group, i think that this might be doable, my plan is an 11'x 11'x 11' cage that is made of some sort of shelving unit type thing (NIC cubes have spacing too large for chins ans pigs i think. Anyway, it will go in my basement (finished with heat and air and carpet, we go don't there OFTEN so do't worry about that) It will have 3-4 layers of floors, and prly 5-7 foors overall. Ace's resting area will be on 2nd shelf up (so 3rd floor) and Bently and Taz's will be on the bottom floor in opposite corners. I'm asking for petstore giftcards this year for christmas bcuz I'm going to need some more $ for toys, beds, food, ect. Anway, they are now in a couple of large tubs that are joined together by tubes so they can move freely between them all. I'll post pics as soon as I get materials for the new cage, and keep you updated!

I posted tht reply in the other threed with this topic, but I also want to add- thanks so much! the are all doing great! I am currently feeding ace at a certian time away from the others. Also, If i wanted to do chiken wie instead of shelving units, where do i get it cheap? Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back