Need Help treating a bite wound :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan

Reaction score
I just got a new bunny for my birthday. She is very young, only about two months old. I keep her separated from my other rabbits because she is so small. Tonight I had her in her cage, which is elevated off the ground, while my other rabbits were out of their cagesrunning around. I left the room for a minute to go fill up a water dish for them and when I came back the baby had a big gash on her nose. I'm pretty sure one of my other rabbits managed to bite her through the bars :( So now she has some skin taken off of her nose and is bleeding. There isn't any skin around really to try to cover the hole so I'm not really sure what to do. It's after hours now and the vet will be closed tomorrow for thanksgiving. I cleaned it up with some warm water, but I'm not really sure what to do from there. I have some betadine here in the house and also some bactine. Are those okay to use on her? I'm worried dust from her hay will get in there so I want to put something on it. Do you think it's okay to wait until friday to call the vet? I'm not comfortable taking her to the emergency hospital around here as the vets don't have much experience with rabbits, but I will if it is necessary. Please help!

You can clean it with diluted betadine( dilute until it is pink) ; be very carefull not to get liquid up or her nose or in her eyes. it is very important to get the bacteria out of that wound as it could very well cause an abscess.
You can use cottonballs soaked in solution .

if you have any access to normal saline you could flush it with that.

if you feel that you can rinse it/ clean it throughly there is no need to take her to the vet.

Latest posts

Back