Need Help Identifying?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savingbuns

Reaction score
Hi, just joined today as I need your help in several bunny matters....

My friend and I have acquired 4 rabbits through our self rescue. They were being raised as meat rabbits so we think - they were kept in suspended cages, no idea what they were fed, but the owner just let them go - running around and eating our bushes and gardens and such.

We did not want to call animal control for various reasons.

Aslo we are making arrangements to take them to a sanctuary but it is not quite ready to house them - until later this winter. So we are going to care for them.

First we would like to know what breed or possible breed they are. We seem to think they may be Flemish Giants - just because we think they may have been born in March or April and they are really big already. They have grown at a tremendous rate since we have had them as well.

So here is a couple of pictures...maybe you can help.

_DSC5527R.jpg
Rusty - is the red one, then there is Buttons, Willie Nellie, and Freddie.

_DSC5539R.jpg

We have done a crash course in reading up on Rabbit - ha taking rabbits home 101...we caught all four in a live trip over a period of 4 days - we think they were on the lamb for about a week.

We picked up some second cut Timothy hay and cleared out a metal shed and using part of it with an ex-pen, we have a garden wagon that has a pet crate on top - and three pans with hay. We are trying to contain their poop and pee the best we can. But have picked up a used Rabbit hutch to limit the space they get to poop. But will still have a nice outdoor run while we are here.

So I was able to pick each of them up and checked them out. I think we have two females and two males - and now realize we have to separate them. They all get along - no fighting. There was a bit of niggle stuff when the fourth was introduced after three days.

We are doing the best we can for now - myself being on crutches NWB and my friend's mobility also not the greatest right now. But we don't want to just throw them on the internet....

Appreciate any assistance.

Next we need to find someone who can help to see if they have any parasites, mites etc. One of the Rabbits has some hair loss it seems - it is not any better or worse and now sign of open soars. They do show signs of ear mites. I can't afford to take them all to the vet - so will be working with the sanctuary in that regard.

How much should we be feeding these rabbits. We allow them hay all day and water. Have given them greens about 1/2 cup each a day - and once and a while they get carrots as a treat or apples.

I would be extra careful about determining the sex of the bunnies. Even experienced breeders are mistaken often and I'm sure you do not want any surprise litters. In the first pic I see three buns with dewlaps (the extra roll of fat under their chin) which is typical of females although males can have them.

The one that has some hair loss looks similar to one of the buns I have when I first rescued her. She had some hair loss due to the other female she was with mounting her and pulling her fur. It is possible that the hair loss is from this but having the buns checked by a vet is a good idea especially as the have been running loose.

The buns are lovely and if I could I would take them all!

Do you know how much they weigh? Can you weigh them? That would help in determining how much they should be fed and a possible breed.

Definitely need someone with experience to sex them and keep them apart till you know--remember that rabbits are great but limited mathematicians and multiplying is their forte!

My guess was New Zealand Red too. Either that or Palomino. (Not sure what the differences are!) They don't look like Flemish.

I agree about getting them sexed properly. Though by the dewlaps, I'm guessing you've got at least three girls (can't tell with the fourth as he/she is too busy eating in the pic. ;) ).

Hope that helps!

Rue

not flemish, could be new zealand reds, could be total mutts too.

sex them carefully.

be aware that your boys will need to be separated from the girls, at the size they are any girls could potentially be bred. I'd be caging the boys up separately.

They will need more than hay and apples to remain healthy. If you don't want to feed pellets you'll need to supply grain, alfalfa hay, salt and minerals. Otherwise give some pellets... the girls especially will need the protein from the pellets to provide well for any resultant offspring.

if born in March or April they are DEFINITELY old enough to breed.

Hi - thanks all for your info. The one little one - was the smallest - and also has that little double chin but not near as big as the others - if they are all females will they be okay to stay together - as they seem to be fine now - no scuffles. Only a bit with the hairless one with the big female we caught last. Gave the smaller one - "freddie" a time out in a crate that night but still in the same shed with the others. Next morning they all got along really well and now all seem to cuddle during their afternoon siestas - ha so funny - all stretched out almost like they are sunbathing.
Off this afternoon to have the sexed and looked at for either fleas or ear mites.
Found a vet who specializes in Rabbits now - just incase any of them need treating.
We have only had them for about 3 weeks, and they were running around for 3 weeks - so if any of them are pregnant - we will have some extra mouths to feed and a hell of a lot of Rabbits to find homes for...so keeping fingers crossed all is okay - that none are preggers and that we have all F's - but if we do have a male we think it will be Buttons - and well he may be younger than the rest of them and ha ha may not be into the women quite yet - good god I hope not!!!

Thanks again - will keep you posted....

Okay - looks like we have four females but will have the one confirmed tomorrow. As she might be just younger than the others and some develop their Dewlaps later than others (apparently)

All have some ear mites and two have body mites - so they all go back up to the sanctuary tomorrow for a full examination and some medication to set them in good order. They will be moved to their new hutch after 24 hours to allow the medication to work and less chance of them bringing the mites to their new location.

For those who said they were New Zealand Reds - you know your Rabbits. We found out today that there were 10 he let go. So looks like we have all the homebody females that don't like to venture too far. The other were probably males and skittered off for greener pastures :) like into the big farm field on the other side of the road from this guys place. We just happen to live next door - good thing or bad thing not quite sure yet.

But our worries that they wont have someone to look after them are over now - we can take care of them and if we go away then the Sanctuary will take them any time for us. So they may have two homes :) so they will be happy bunnies in the long run :bunny18

But they are some sweet temperaments and over time once they feel completely safe and don't have the mites gnawing at them - they will be lovely companions. And the do get along so we can keep them together. I hope anyway. If we end with one male in the pack then I will have to build a separate apartment for him - or give him up to a family member.

Oh brother Freddie is now Frederica - giving us three females and Buttons the only male. He will come into maturity in another few weeks - but now we have to separate him from his girls. I feel so sorry for him. He will have no one to cuddle up to and keep warm as the nights get colder.

Will see as the weeks progress if we can manage keeping them longer and just bored them out to the sanctuary when we travel. Then we will possibly consider neutering Buttons.

We bought a nice hutch set up and was going to make some mods to divide the hutch in half - but no way three can be on one side.

So will put that set up back on kijiji - the little runs were small and I did have lots of mods to do to make it more winterized - but a nice three season set up . great for little buns for sure.

Back to taking the old metal shed that we were actually were going to tear down this fall - going to make some mods to it - like vapour barrier to the floor - then get some skids, plywood tops and the rubber puzzle matts. Get some 2" insulation hard foam and line the corners with 1/4 inch ply. The girls will have one side and Buttons his own little space. Putting in little doors to their pens - existing one can stay and will make a new one for buttons on the other side of the shed.

Need to level up one corner of the shed so that I can fix the doors so I can get them shut and protect the buns from outdoor predators.

They are not going to be very happy with us when we disturb their routines and habitat - but hopefully with Buttons away from the girls he will stop spraying pee everywhere. On the most part they are all very good at going in the two corner litter boxes. Even for "meat rabbits" they are doing very well at adapting to new behaviours.

Hoping with a new change to their environment - making the area a little smaller for sleeping eating/litter for the winter, they might get a little cleaner. They will still have a play area in the shed and on most days I hope will have the chance to get out into their runs The girls have at least 30x20 round area outside. Buttons will have a good 20 by 5 area in an L shape around the shed - a protected area and a sunny area.

Went out to get pellets for them today - need them to have a few for their diet as the greens become a bit sparse and expensive over the winter. Will need to stoke up on the hay for the winter too now we are keeping them.

I'm kind of excited - although they are a bit of work - once we get the routines sorted out and know they will be nice and warm for the winter, and using wood chips for their litter pans with a bit of hay will save wasting food, got their salt licks and will get some warmer matts for them as they start to pee a little less - which is more and more noticeable.

Latest posts

Back