need help finding breeder!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samule16

Reaction score
I have researched for months and since im new to rabbit keeping ive come down to the dutch rabbit being a good beginner rabbit. i understand the commitment and everything. but have learned threw research to not buy from store and is better to buy from a breeder than a humane society if your beginner. so do any of you know or are a breeder that sells pretty young dutch rabbits in toronto. perferably a male thats healthy and just a bit after they are weaved and they dont need their moms anymore.:big wink:

Hi there! Welcome to the forum :)

Not sure where you found the suggestion to go with breeder rather than humane society. Many of the 10,000+ members here have had positive experiences with both!

The thing is, young bunnies are a bit of a grab bag - you never know what their personalities are like when they are young. It's really important to get a knowledgeable breeder who is willing to work with you around any issues.

The perk on going with the humane society is that the volunteers likely spend a lot of time with each bunny 1 on 1. They will know the rabbits' personality. The other perk is that you would be giving a homeless bun a loving family :)
Sometimes, the humane society rabbits come already spayed/or neutered.
Saves you $200+ dollars!

Here's a few links to people with rabbits in Ontario :)
- http://rabbitrescue.ca/adoption/rabbits/
Check out Steve-O, George, Chance, and Oreo especially..
See what I mean by the rescue knowing SO MUCH about each bunny and their personality?

- http://www.rabbitbreeders.ca/ontario-rabbit-breeders
Link to several Ontario breeders - be sure to ask lots of questions, and see the operation... does it look healthy for the buns? Clean? Lots of hay?

post away with your questions :)

ive seen both sites and searched very long but really really do not want an adult and a must for me is for the rabbit to be atleast under the age of 1 year and ive already done research and rather get from breeder but defiently my second rabbit which i wont get any time soon like 6 years from now will be from shelter. i have a very important question and I found a knowledgeable breader who is populare and is sunny heights in cookstown and has 7 month old girl dutch rabbit. its healthy and looks healthy but one person told me that girl rabbits are more nasty and to not get girl is this true? my mom isnt letting me get the one available cause she beleived the guy and cant find online if its true!!!! very frusterated

also ive heard that if the rabbit is to old you cant neuter nor spay is this true. is the bunny to old to get neuter or spayed? like you can but does it still fix the rabbit

I go on arba and for months never knew how to find a breeder my area still dont how do you as I am not a member and you you have to pay and I really dont want to so how do find one on arba

samule16 wrote:
also ive heard that if the rabbit is to old you cant neuter nor spay is this true. is the bunny to old to get neuter or spayed? like you can but does it still fix the rabbit
are you guys gonna answere this question

If you like the rabbit at Cookstown, then you should arrange to visit the breeder.

Like I said, all rabbits are individual. Girls are not worse than boys, boys aren't worse than girls.

What that person is likely referring to is an unspayed (female), or un-neutered (male) rabbit.

A rabbit that doesn't get spayed or neutered, tends to be more territorial. They may spray urine, hump people/things, and may defend their territory (possibly by nipping with the teeth).

A rabbit that is spayed or neutered will be far calmer.

I would suggest to you that the person who said girls were mean, was probably someone who did not choose to spay their bunny. She may have been feeling scared, or territorial, or simply hormonal.

Spay/Neuter usually starts at $100-200, and may increase in price from there.

Most people spay/neuter around 8 months of age. That way, the rabbit has had the benefit of hormones to grow, but isn't yet in the habit of spraying, etc.
(Think of them as crazy teenagers).

However, any rabbit can be spayed/neutered at virtually any age.

The result is (usually) a calmer, happier rabbit.

samule16 wrote:
samule16 wrote:
Patience. Most people on here are at work, or are at school.

Please be patient until someone gets to your question.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I would guess 12 or so?

lol yes im 12 why? I have researched and already know all the things about how theyre more aggressive without being fixed. just during my research its all different and some very different on the sites I go on to get care tips. I will sum up all of what I know to breeder to make sure I know everything I need to know and get though and am aware about the big commitment

NorthernAutumn wrote:
samule16 wrote:
samule16 wrote:
Patience. Most people on here are at work, or are at school.

Please be patient until someone gets to your question.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I would guess 12 or so?
:rollseyes well my mom doesnt want me to get girl I cant convince her which is ok and fine so il just wait for the next litter which will be ready about she said 3-4 weeks but does anybody now any dutch breeders around or in Toronto ontario?

Latest posts

Back