Need help designing cage for Carlito

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treasuresandstuff

Reaction score
Ok here is Carlito currently stuck in a tiny cage til hubby gets home to help me play musical temp cages to get everyone in a cage that is ok for them until I can do better.

Carlito7-08-10B.jpg

Carlito7-08-10A.jpg

See those ears? Only ever saw ears like that on young flemish giants. Saw his mom when I pulled him from a meat pen and she was HUGE. So was dad. He looks all cute a little now, but note he is roughly 3 months old. VERY young. He is bigger than both my lionheads and my AFL. He's bigger than my 5lb Dutch I had years ago.

Long story short I expect him to get just under 2 feet nose to tail and to weigh around 15 lbs. That is what I was told his parents are about. He is currently about 5lbs but big boned, you can feel he has a large frame when handling him.

I need to know what I am looking at for a good run for him. I plan to make it one story, I will be making a frame around it so I can stack another run on top, so it will be like his run, then a table like frame, and another bun's run on top. Its the only way I can give everybun enough room. Also I would like it to be big enough for Carmella, my little chocolate torte lionhead to live with him if I can get them to bond after being altered. Would 6x3 be too small? Too big?? Just right? If I go with 6x3, one door or two for cleaning? I am thinking 2?

At first we had him in a way too small cage while I figured out what to do. Fully stretched with feet out behind him? Right now just under 3 feet. He could not stretch in the cage we had him in so we swapped him into the biggest cage we have, moved Burnie to the 2nd biggest (he's the 2nd biggest bun we have) and the girls are temporarily in the smallest cages but they get the most out time to help with it. Standing? I can't say I have yet to see him even try to stand. I am still trying to convince him that being outside a cage is ok. Poor guy.

I don't really get how you mean by describing the cage but if you could get a 6X3 it would have to be at least 2sqaure tile tall so he can stretch fully. He will need to be able to stretch without his ears touching the top of the cage.
It would be good if you could do two storeys. Which would be four tiles high. So then he could have two floors to run around.
If you have a spare bedroom could you rabbit proof it and give it to them or a spare bathroom etc. If not then go for a cage of the size I said and rabbit proof a few rooms in the house close the doors of the others and let him out every 2nd/3rd day.

Ok, I am making run or pen style cages, no floors, no tops unless I make them stackable. 6x3 is Feet not NIC cubes, I won't be using those as its cheaper to use 1x2 inch cage wire. If I make them stackable I will use a wood frame and coroplast for the floors with carpet scraps to give traction for those in upper pens.

I do not own so I can not give them a room. Also they are not altered or bonded so I would have fighting and breeding rabbits. I can not have either. If the world were perfect I would have a 30 story building with like 3000 rooms for rabbits, but sadly its not :( So I have to do the best I can. Trust me the rabbits will be able to stand up in these cages, whatever design I finalize on. And no worries we are slowly getting them altered. Burnie gets neutered on Tuesday next week.

Latest posts

Back