Need help building a bunny first-aid kit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh, also - will a digital thermometer meant to be used in the ear work on bunnies?

and while I'm asking a million questions, I got my rice-filled-sock style heating pads made - about how long do they need to be microwaved for to warm them to an appropriate temperature and how often do they need to be re-warmed?

Imbrium wrote:
I couldn't find baby aspirin at walmart, only baby tylenol and baby advil and I wasn't sure which, if either, would be safe to give bunnies - any advice? should I look elsewhere (like the grocery store) for something that's specifically baby aspirin?

Bayer has baby asprin. It's also labeled low-dose aspirin.

Bingaling Bunnybox has Critical Care. I like the fine grind. It's alot easier to syringe feed with. I've also tried the regular kind apple banana flavor, but I didn't like it as well. It's harder to syringe feed and it created more digestive problems with my rabbit. Maybe because of the added sugars from the apple banana, but I'm not sure. I like to keep mine in the fridge sealed in it's bag to keep it as fresh as possible. The freezer would probably be ever better to store it in.

You're looking for a rectal thermometer (usually also for oral use), not the kind meant to go in a human ear.

boo... I dunno that I'd be able to use a rectal thermometer on a bunny with how much fur is in the way of things on my bunnies and the fact that they don't like their bums touched.

how long would you say the critical care could be kept fresh in the fridge?

OK now I have a question. We give Twigs these Papaya treats.

16865_111226_160000000.jpg
They are just dehydrated papaya treats we get for my parrot. Do they work the same as the pills you are using??? Twigs loves them and when he was molting he would get several a day.

Sorry pic is so large

found something else to put in the bunny first aid kit :)

http://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/tabid/53/CategoryID/24/PID/940/Default.aspx
^ has a downloadable/printable bunny sitter guide that could be good to keep with the other emergency supplies - a people emergency could be a bunny emergency, too (for example, what if I was in a car accident and hospitalized? I'd have to call my neighbors and ask them to take care of the bunnies for me - they'd need to know what to do).

I think mixed up critical care keeps for 24 hours, but the product itself is basically a powder which you mix with water as needed.

I've never seen or used an in-ear thermometer for any non-human animals. I wonder if they're accurate. Interesting product idea though.

yeah, I didn't figure the mixed stuff would last long... was just wondering how long I can store unmixed critical care after opening the bag. I ordered one small bag of the regular stuff and one small bag of the "fine grind" that was said to be better for syringe feeding.

I'm kind of glad that I read through this. Thankfully I have most of this on hand, because its about the same as a chicken first aid kit! haha. I will be looking into getting critical care though.
This is a great thread!

I just got a new bag of critical care and the 'best used by' date stamped on it is for about 9 months from now, but that's for unopened. The cooler the temp. that you store any food product in, generally the longer it lasts, and for dry products as long as they aren't exposed to moisture as well they'll last longer. For an opened bag of critical care, I'm not sure how long it will last. I had some leftover from use back in May and just finished the rest of the bag recently. I kept it stored in the fridge. I would say that as long as you kept an opened bag resealed well(squeeze out any extra air in the bag too when you reseal it) and the inside powder didn't get any moisture in it, that it could last more than 6 months or longer stored in the fridge, but that's just a guess. The leftover that I just finished using lasted more than 4 months and it was just stored in a ziploc in the fridge.

cool, I figured storage for it was the same as it is for the buttload of pellets I've got from buying in bulk - keep it refrigerated in an air-tight container/bag and try to get as much air as possible out of it when you seal it.

hopefully they won't need it twice in 4-6 months, but you never know... they haven't been through their first molt yet (still not sure when that generally happens), so the leftovers from after they're spayed may end up getting used for that.

I found the critical care online at http://www.leithpetwerks.com if anyone else is looking for it (found a link to them when looking at http://www.3bunnies.org/emergency_kit.htm ). they also sell bene-bac, papaya tablets and vet wrap (vet wrap was listed under "grooming and care" as "PetFlex No Chew Flexible Bandage"), so I was able to scratch a few things off my shopping list with one order. (shipping was kinda brutal with just one or two items, but adding a bunch more items didn't raise the shipping fees very much at all)

I have no trouble with the regular critical care and a 35 or 60 cc syringe. The fine grind is better for situations where something like a naso-gastric or naso-esophageal tube is in place

caustin4 wrote:
I have lactataed ringers ("fluids") as well. For probiotics I have benebac and probios. Metacam is good to keep on hand as well. I pretty much have a mini pet pharmacy at my house lol.

Hi, can you tell me how you will use the LR? Where is a good vein access on a bunny? I have access to LR and your posting has me curious...

Thanks.

how do you feed papaya tablets to bunnies? I was expecting something chewy, like a gummy-vitamin thing, but these are hard chewable pills. I broke the pill in half and Nala ate one bite out of her half but Gaz wouldn't touch it even though it smells like fruit :(

they're good for aiding in digestion, especially during molts when they're at risk for hairballs.

I got mine from http://www.leithpetwerks.com (also got critical care, probiotics and vet wrap from them for my first aid kit)

still figuring out how to give 'em to the bunnies... though I did leave one tablet (split into fourths) in a bowl and it eventually got eaten.

Back