Need help bonding my rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegooch69

Reaction score
I am having trouble bounding my two rabbits, male and female and both fixed. Normally, they were separated from each other completely, but the past few months they have been living in the same room, but across from each other in separate pens. However, I am moving into a smaller apartment next month and they will have to live in the same living pen so I need to get them to bond quickly!

The larger female always tries to hump the smaller male (from the front, not from behind. Is that normal?) and the male gets agitated and the female will chase him around until I spritz her with water. The male will even thump at the female sometimes. The male will also try to hide, curl up face first into a corner or something. I haven't noticed any violent fighting, biting, or clawing so that's good I suppose.

I am desperate! I've been trying to get them to get along for awhile now with no success. I am going to try taking them on a lengthy car ride and see if that helps. Other than that I am out of ideas.

Basically, if I can't get them to get along I have to put the male up for adoption and I would just hate to do that :( Please help!

To be honest, all that sounds normal. If there is no fighting then i would just let them get on with it. Keep a close eye on them and then separate them if necessary (such as if they do start to fight or get nasty).

Chasing, humping, nipping and other sorts of not friendly behaviour are all part of the bonding process, and whilst unpleasant to watch, it can help the buns sort out their ranks and who is going to be dominant and who is going to submit.

You also need to remian calm (which can be hard when your two bunnies are chasing each other) because otherwise they will pick up on that and react accordingly.

Is there maybe anyone who could help you?

angieluv: Thanks for the link! I will read through the articles thoroughly.

Flashy: Ok, I wasn't sure if all of the chasing and humping was a normal process of the bonding. After awhile they will relax and the female usually just lays down and chills while the male sniffs her out and licks her a bit. So maybe that's a good sign!

Another question, when do I know when my two rabbits are ready to live within the same area/pen? What are some signs that they are comfortable enough with each other that I can leave them alone together?

Latest posts

Back