Need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SApple

Reaction score
My Ellie's Xmas present this year was getting spayed. Not a great gift I know, but a necessary one.

Anywho, her surgery was yesterday. She came out of it great. The vet gave me pain meds which she getting every 12 hours. She didn't eat anything Monday, but the vet said to expect that. When I went to bed last night I left her about a cup full of her favorite greens sprinkled with water. She ate those over night and there were a handful of poops in her cage this morning. So I figured great she's recovering well and I go out for the day with a friend.

I get home this evening and she hasn't eaten or pooped all day. Obviously the first thing I do in the morning is call the vet. He even called this afternoon to check up on her and talked with my hubby who reported her much decreased appetite. Doc said if she didn't start eating to bring her in tomorrow and they'd give her an appetite stimulate.

In the mean time do you guys have any suggestions?

Keep encouraging her to keep, keep her warm, keep her quiet and confined. Offer just anything she will eat all the yummy veggies in the world. If she stops eating for a lengthy period of time then I would suggest force feeding but please dont jump to that if she only stops for a little, its much more stress then necessary.

Is she drinking her water? Very important to keep her hydrated. Hydration before nutrition. Encourage her to drink from her waterbottle or dish. Then when she is drinking then offer her food. But greens with water on them is good.

I used to bring the newly spayed shelterrabbits to my home to recover after their surgeries. They often would only eat greens (usually parsley) the first several days and they often were not interested in drinking.
I often gave them flavored pedialyte per syringe to keep them hydrated and 'feeling better" ; I gave them small amounts at a time and did everything possible not to stress them out.
I cannot tell you how many times I was worried that they were not eating and pooping enough .

It seemd to me like the 3rd day was the "magic" day when their behavior would generally return to normal.
All of our shelters rabbit have had laser surgery which is an easier recovery ...andI don't know if your rabbit had laser or not....

I would get some pedialyte and try giving her some... in addition to wet greens , a small piece of apple or carrot etc. to get her started.

What kind of pain meds is she getting.? Some narcotics will slow the GI system a bit.

No eating again last night, so I took in first thing this morning. The vet could hear gut noises though not as active as he'd like. He gave her a B12 injection and a prescription for cisapride. Which I believe is a gut simulator? I was already giving her metacam for pain and he said to continue that. He also gave me some critical care which I got her to eat by smearing it on her mouth. She got a couple of teaspoons down before she started fighting me.

She's very perking. I know from having guine pigs that can be deceiving, but I'm trying not to get too worried.

I wonder if you can syringe pellet slurry until she feels like eating on her own... did you offer yummy treats, like banana chips, sunflower seeds, fruit and things bunnies love? Maybe it's a good incentive, until she recovers her appetite..?

Back