need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the explanation:)
although he is pooping more now,its still quite soft.we are continuing with the infacol and he is drinking ok and eating slightly better.
his tummy is feeling a lot more doughy,nowhere near as hard as it was, although he still looks 'fat'
but he is quite lethargic this evening...he will come to me when i open his cage and will snuggle into my neck,but when i put him back in his cage he just seems to sit still.
:(

Maybe the moving about is helping him a bit too. I don't know how much good this would be but you can get stuff called entracare which you can add to their water or you can get one to put on their food, it helps combat muccoid enteritus, coccidosis, salmonella, e-coli, canker, internal parasites and gum disease, there is a website

www.naturalfeeds.co.uk

www.animalmad.ltd.uk (Stockist)

Maybe it would be worth using this for him to help his gut

update....baby rabbit is pooping regularly although they are soft..we are still continuing with the infacol as he feels a little bloated again this evening.
he is eating a little and we are still syringing water into him....i was just wondering if we could feed him baby food as i read this somewhere so i went and bought some jars of vegetable baby food but havent given any to him as not sure if this would be a good idea:?

tracey27 wrote:
i was just wondering if we could feed him baby food as i read this somewhere so i went and bought some jars of vegetable baby food but havent given any to him as not sure if this would be a good idea:?
Actually, yes you can and it's a good idea. I was actually going to suggest this a ways back, but didn't:(. Peg (Tinysmom) feeds banana baby food to her sometimes when they are having issues. See if he'll take the vegtable kind, he may not (he may think it's yucky), but it's worth a try. The best thing is to get him to eat anything that's safe and babyfood is safe;). If he doesn't like the vegtable, maybe pick up some banana and try it.

tracey27 wrote:
my husband is trying the baby food right now and Chance is lapping it up...guess he likes it...
Chance is the baby, right? I don't think you had mentioned his name;). This is good, something else you can have him eat:). You can also feed regular canned pumpkin if you have to have some.

I was just going to suggest the baby food too. Make sure he gets his nutrients and all.

I dunno if anyone would have an idea but is there anything a bunny can eat to like encourage poop? Like us when we eat dried pruneor something of the sort? Can baby buns have a bit of hairball remedy?

I'm actually curious. I'm trying to understand the bunny GI better :)

Its good he's eating something! I would definitely mix some crushed pellets in with his baby food though- he needs the fiber and most baby foods are pretty starchy.

MsBinky wrote:
I dunno if anyone would have an idea but is there anything a bunny can eat to like encourage poop? Like us when we eat dried pruneor something of the sort? Can baby buns have a bit of hairball remedy?

No, I don't believe so, I've never heard it mentioned. The absolute best and only thing to do is to keep them eating something to keep the tract moving. If that is done, the poop will come, which is always good;).

MsBinky wrote:
Idunno if anyone would have an idea but is there anything a bunny can eat to like encourage poop? Like us when we eat dried pruneor something of the sort? Can baby buns have a bit of hairball remedy?

The problem with bunnies is that their GI tracts are so sensitive. Say your bunny stops eating and you start feeding him only starchy things- like oats and banana and such. He could go into something called cecal dysbiosis (CD) where he will have diahrea orvery soft stoolwhich is also really bad.

Usually its good to get your bunny to eat whatever he will eat, but you have to be careful to get enough fiber into him. We usually recommend a pellet slurry, pumpkin, and lots of hay to keep that GI tract moving. You have to be careful with the carbs! :)

yes Chance is my baby..hes a beautiful orange dwarf lop...and theres no way im giving up on him. we have got him this far and am trying everything we can...its crazy how attached you can get to a rabbit...we have only had him 10 days and we are crazy about him!...we dont sleep, we dont eat..the past 5 days have revolved around our bunny..(dog is feeling left out...so are the kids lol)....he really enjoyed the baby food...how often should we feed it?

I know. You guys are doing a superb job with him, really. You should be so proud of yourselves. Pumpkin, as I mentioned, would be really good too, for the fiber benefits. You feed it straight out of the can. I'm not real sure about how often, but I would think once an hour or so, maybe a bit less (for the babyfood). Is he eating any hay at all now?

I would seriously take a look at the website as the entracare should really help to balance his gut. This is safe and is reccommended for weaning kits too:)

couldnt get hold of tinned pumpkin..but found some pumpkin baby food....is this any good??

he has eaten a jar of vegetable baby food since yesterday and has nibbled on some hay and a few pellets...he is pooping everywhere now...but it is very soft...this is a real worry isnt it???

he is not bloated anymore....we are just really worried now because he isnt eating enough fibre

will get some entracare...is this the right stuff for soft droppings?

Soft poo is better than no poo, so you're going in the right direction.

Remember that bunnies have two types of poo, cecals which they eat, and regular poo.

This might sound gross but maybe try encouraging him to eat some of his cecals, maybe by actually feeding them too him. These are the soft ones that look like a bunch of grapes. They might help his digestive system a bit.

Back