Need advice with Burnie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treasuresandstuff

Reaction score
Ok we have had Burnie for just about 3 weeks. When he came to us he was severely matted and had not been handled much if at all. I found he will let me clip his nails if he is allowed to sit normal and I just pull the paw that needs done out a little and clip quickly. Great for nails, not so great for grooming his underside which mats badly. I do not want to hurt him or have to pay the vet to put him under every few months so he can be clipped down. I need advice on teaching him we won't hurt him. He has bad mats on his belly I can not get to that really need to be clipped down. I tried holding him against my chest and leaning forward to catch his ears between my knees to secure his head, but with in moments he is flailing and flipping over. I know he is in pain from the hair pulling but how do I make it stop if I can not get to it? Advice is needed badly!

treasuresandstuff wrote:
Ok we have had Burnie for just about 3 weeks. When he came to us he was severely matted and had not been handled much if at all. I found he will let me clip his nails if he is allowed to sit normal and I just pull the paw that needs done out a little and clip quickly. Great for nails, not so great for grooming his underside which mats badly. I do not want to hurt him or have to pay the vet to put him under every few months so he can be clipped down. I need advice on teaching him we won't hurt him. He has bad mats on his belly I can not get to that really need to be clipped down. I tried holding him against my chest and leaning forward to catch his ears between my knees to secure his head, but with in moments he is flailing and flipping over. I know he is in pain from the hair pulling but how do I make it stop if I can not get to it? Advice is needed badly!
i briefed your post,--many issues here,--first,-the spine must be protected-it is a weak spot,-thrashing about--the rabbit is likely to suffer spinal injury,..we are dealing with a prey animal,-trust is a big issue-,due to our being predators,-yes-,they know it.//.these animal are so unique that we must bear the burden--try to work within the limits the bun allows is your best option,,-you are correct anesthesia can be a tramatic experience--which we need to avoid..-/.rabbits are comsumate chewers and groomers,,overweight rabbit can not reach some areas,,again try to work within the limits the bun allows,..sincerely james waller:big wink:

I would try to wrap him in a towel and then just pull back parts of the towel in the area you need to get to. I found with my rabbits it seems to make them feel more secure when I put them on their back. This also may sound weird, but I sometimes do these things in the bathtub. The rabbits don't like the bathtub and would rather be on my lap. The amount of struggling when doing it in the bathtub compared to somewhere, there is a huge difference. I also make sure to give a treat afterwards and give the bunny lots of praises.

james waller wrote:

i briefed your post,--many issues here,--first,-the spine must be protected-it is a weak spot,-thrashing about--the rabbit is likely to suffer spinal injury,..we are dealing with a prey animal,-trust is a big issue-,due to our being predators,-yes-,they know it.//.these animal are so unique that we must bear the burden--try to work within the limits the bun allows is your best option,,-you are correct anesthesia can be a tramatic experience--which we need to avoid..-/.rabbits are comsumate chewers and groomers,,overweight rabbit can not reach some areas,,again try to work within the limits the bun allows,..sincerely james waller:big wink:

Um, I know all of this that is why I asked for specific advice on what to do to try to get him calm. All you say is protect the spine. . . .HOW? please? And what does chewing and overweight rabbits have to do with my having a rabbit in dire need of underside grooming but having never been handled prior to coming to us? I can not get at his belly doing it "his" way. The mats on his belly are causing him pain. I am sure you were trying to help, but honestly I just don't see how what you said did??

TO AMY: Thank you! We will try the towel, hubby also suggested we try standing him on his back legs in my husband's arms with his belly towards me and his back to my husband. We will be careful and try everything we can think of to help this guy because if we can not get rid of the mats without putting him under we may have to consider putting him down. I hate the thought of that and will work as hard as I can to avoid it.

I have had good luck with holding the rabbit like they are sitting on my lap. With their bum on my lap and their back against my tummy. I had a bunny that needed the fur trimmed around his legs and bum regularly because he peed sideways after a genital reconstruction surgery.

I have a picture of me holding him while I was trimming his underside. I will see if I can find it for you.

Basically you start with the rabbit on your lap with their head facing your knees. Bend over and get one hand under their chest and lift their body while keeping their back against your chest. Leave their bum on your lap.

I find that most rabbits will accept this position, at least for a little while. Some will only tolerate it for a short time before wanting down, others will sit in this position for a long time. But you can just do it regularly for short times, and they should get used to it and tolerate it for longer.

-Dawn

Latest posts

Back