Need Advice- inlaws

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dquesnel

Reaction score
Hi, didn't want to post this story on the open forum as it is more touchy and really LONG, per se.

My inlaws have a cat at their house, which actually belongs to my significant other. We see them every Sunday for dinner, and I have seen kitty get progressively worse: first, she was GROSSLY overweight for several years and became less active. The turning point came when they arrived home one night to find her cornered on their porch by a raccoon, she was in shock from the event for over a week and immediately lost quite a bit of weight as she stopped eating. She gradually pulled through, but we all noticed she had slowed down quite a bit and chose not to go outside anymore. This was a couple years ago and has since continued to lose weight.

The inlaws are decent owners, they provide her with a heated bed and she gets attention. No medical care however- outside of the flea medicine she recieved every 6months. Even though she was outdoors she was not vaccinated.

The past year in addition to losing weight she has also developed horrible mats in her fur. Mostly where it is hard to reach- I figured for a long time she was arthritic, possibly because she was so obese, for so long. She began to meow in pain whenever she sat down or stood up. I brought home new food and vitamins for them to try with her, she had only been on dry food but I introduced wet food with vitamins mixed in to help relieve her arthritis. They have not been keeping up with her vitamins, but they have been trying hard to keep her on good food. She put on some weight, then was taken to the vet (for the first time in many years, and to my significant others pleading) as she had some eye irritation and the mats in her fur had to be shaved. The inlaws totally complained over how much the cat's bills cost- as the vet forced them to vaccinate her at this time too. She was given eye and ear drops, as it seemed she had infections going on for some time- no suprise there. She was beginning to perk up but just after a week of being shaved/vet visit, we came over for dinner and found that she was dragging her hindquarters behind her, had not eaten for a couple days and was completely lethargic. We went away for the weekend, I mentioned that they should bring her in to the vet as she is senior (15years) and has not had xrays to show the extents of the arthritis in her body. We came back 5 days after the original problems came up, she is not dragging her hindquarters anymore but is still very lethargic and limping, she has begun to eat a little which is good and has now developed very crusty eyes and nose. The inlaws say she must have caught a cold from being shaved- she still had a layer of short fur on her body combined with the heated bed so she could not have been that cold... I think she has a virus, and it can get really bad at her age especially if she is not eating or drinking. They will 'wait and see' to bring her to the vet this week, but I wouldn't wait. She could at least recieve fluids and pain medicine to help her perk up.

I am afraid of offending them with any of my suggestions. We are very close, they are a second set of parents to me but we disagree as far as animals go. They had a small dog when they were younger, that they would let out and forget that it was out. He died at a year of age after being hit by a car, they did not know the dog was even missing until the animal control came to their door. When they heard the news that the dog was dead, the children said 'can we get a REAL dog now?' :grumpy: They are kind loving people but clearly animals are not equal... I want their kitty to at least recieve some relief for the last bit of her life but I really have no experience with dying arthritic kitties. Mine are indoor cats that live with my parents, and although they are old they are really healthy and active still. Does anyone have any suggestions over how I can handle this situation without anyone getting touchy? And anyone have any suggestions to improve kittie's quality of life if she pulls through this?

If the cat is your SO's, maybe you should take her and take care of her vet bills, etc.?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
If the cat is your SO's, maybe you should take her and take care of her vet bills, etc.?
yes that what Bo said. If you cant take the cat to your place then try taking over the vet care so that you know that it is being taken care of.

That is a totally good point, as I would hate to be a hypocrite and say I care about her and cannot afford her vet care at the same time. I suggested I could take her to a different vet yesterday, and they said no- they will do it this week but so far have not, as long as she is appearing to improve they won't take her. They know I am really low on money at the moment so they won't accept that- they pay me back for whatever food/treatments I bring for her and they don't have to do that, they are very sweet.

As I don't live with her, I don't know how much she is eating/drinking and if it is enough, I'd hate to say to them 'you are wrong' and start an argument too. I don't know how easy it is to explain the importance of vet care to a senior cat without implying they are stupid.

My boyfriend loves the kitty but will side with the parents on this one- she was adopted for him when he was young so although she is 'his' cat, she is very much the family cat. I don't believe he has ever taken on the financial burden of caring for the cat, or even done much litterbox duty. I don't like it when people have been enjoying the animal as a family pet, but as soon as it turns ill it suddenly 'belongs' to someone and that person has to take on the financial burden. Thankfully his parents are not like that, they simply take the view that everything will 'fix itself'.

I just called for a kitty update, apparently mom in law says Kitty is moving about a bit more today, ate a bit, and she is interested in providing Kitty with arthritis relief. Mom in law has arthritis herself, and wants to give Kitty baby advil but doesn't know how to feed them to Kitty. I told her I will get her some pill pockets, hopefully she can eat those. I will ask my own vet at the same time if we should do this. I am happy they want to do something for her, although a vet visit would really be ideal, but this is a start... Hopefully I can take her to the vet next week at this rate if she improves from her current illness. Right now boyfriend is ok to accept that she can die soon, but I am happy now that she will at least get some relief before that, whever it happens. I am pretty clueless about senior cats and arthritis- any suggestions would be helpful.

I just took my cat to the vet and he has arthritus and other then medication and a joint supplement i dont think there is much of anything else to do. Warm bed, kitty massage?

I think that you are doing the right thing by feeding them info but in a helpful manner not a judgemental way. They probably listen to you at some level but may notbehave like they do.
just act interested in the cat without commenting on what they are or arenot doing. In time they will probably ask for your advice.
i have run into situations like this with people and with some people it is hopeless to push an issue
just inquire about the cat, ask how you can help and offer suggestions if the person seems open.

My own parents (strict catholics) would never plave an animal on the level of a
human (which I find ludicrous)
They talk about going to heaven but they don't believe that an animal can be in heaven.

my resposne....
"Well why would I want to be there then! :D!!!!.""

angieluv wrote:
They talk about going to heaven but they don't believe that an animal can be in heaven.

my resposne....
"Well why would I want to be there then! :D!!!!.""

Haha, that is cute, so true....

You guys gave good advice, it seems not much can be done about her arthritis outside of what Luvmyzoocrew mentioned too, and they appreciate the pill pocket treats I got for her. Its true, I do think they listen, it just takes awhile for anything to happen with them. Kitty is improving still, so hopefully we still have a while to enjoy with her.

Yeah, then they have the blessing of the animals..... so weird. They're still God's creatures! Why wouldn't they go to heaven?

Those pill pockets are great if the animal doesn't find the pill. Sydney, our dog, hates her flea medicine - something the vet said was really good and no mess. Big pill they are supposed to chow down..... HAHAHA! She'll find a piece of it even and spit it out! we have to shove pieces down her throat to get her to take them. When this batch is gone..... we're going to the topical stuff again!

Latest posts

Back