Need advice for new addition

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
Some of you may have read in another thread that I was considering adding a rescue rabbit to my warren from a girl that I used to ride horses with. About two weeks ago she called me, asking if I'd be willing to clip her rabbit's nails (I guess I'm known as a crazy rabbit lady now). I went over there and literally cried in front of her as I attempted to clip the twisted, long nails. Of course he is being fed crappy pellets, and there were even wasp nests in his hutch! His water dish was a lid off of a small container, holding virtually no water. She openly admitted to neglecting him and told me how she really needed to find him a new home.

He actually has a pretty amazing story. His name is Tigger, and he is around 9 years old. When Tigger was a year old he was ina house fire but was rescued. His previous owner passed away from complications due to said fire,and Brit (the girl that has him now) decided to take him.

So, I would have taken himright then and there if my bf wasn't so darn allergic tothe bunnies, lol. So, after discussing this withthe bf,we've decided to open our home to him; we've added another air filter to help him out. I am picking him up in afew hours and have some quick questions for all of you!

Since he has been an outdoor rabbit for about 8 years now, how should I help him adjust to being an indoor bun? Should I house him in the gargage for a while? I already know that I'm going to keep him quarenteened so that I can get him a vet check up, etc. I'm also going to gradually switch him over to Oxbow pellets. Hmm, is there anything else I should do? Whenever I've added a new bunny, they've been fairly young so this is new for me. He is supposedly neutered, but we'll see when I get him :)

Thank you,

Kathy

The one thing I think I've read is that rabbits shouldn't have more than a 40 degree difference in temperature. (I prefer to keep it to about 20 degrees). So I would think that moving him to the garage for a couple of days and then to the house might be good....that way he could get to know you a bit when you feed him and stuff before moving him to the house....but I'm dying to hear what others will say.

Well, I agree with Peg about the degree difference, they shouldn't have a dramatic change in temperature. But with that, what is the average temperature lately outside for you? And the temperature of the garage? And the temperature of the house?

If there isn't that much of a degree difference between your house and garage do you really want to get him use to living in the garage for a while then move him again to the house? Wouldn't that stress him out? Wouldn't it be easier to get him use to the house and how you do things from day one? He's an old bunny, so I think you are suppose to keep him as less stressed as possible. Well thats just my opinion, feel free anybody tocorrect me if it's wrong in any way.

Congrats on your new addition!

Ok, we're back! I've decided to just bring him inside as the temperature difference isn't drastic at all here in Michigan.

He's a sweetheart, and he's currently in my furnished basement (I'm kind of paranoid of him getting too close to my other rabbits at the moment). He'll most likely go for a vet check Monday or Tuesday to make sure he's healthy.

I quickly took three pictures before letting him settle in on his own for the night.

Tigger002.jpg

Tigger001.jpg

Tigger003.jpg

-Kathy

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww what a cutie!! He looks like a baby, not 9 years old lol!

I'm so happy you rescued him... Tigger is going to be so much happier with you :hug:

I hope he settles in well! :)

AWWWW!!! He is SOOOO CUTE!!!

I have to agree with the rest, he doesn't look anywhere close to 9 years old!! Bless you for taking him in and giving him a much better life! :hug:

Oh my gosh, Kathy! He is soo cute! Is she sure he's nine? He looks so young. He does look like Lucy. Too bad shes such a *you know what* or he could come here and live with her and Tumnus ;)

Hes so lucky to be at your home. He really must think he died and went to bunny heaven.

Is that a straw placemat in his cage? Did you geta bunch at Walmart?

Im so glad you took him in- hes just precious.

Guys, he is so sweet and gentle...I am in love with him. He is incredibly calm and is handling the move really well. This girl claims that she's hadhim for about 8 years, but you never know w/ people. Is there a way that a vet could see how old he is?

Haley, I bought all ofthe straw placemats at the Walmart inFenton, LOL! Which is only 6, but I plan onstocking up with more since I think they're so much better and cheaper than the grass mats at the pet store.So far they seem to be a huge hit with Tigger, Mr. Evey, andDuchess. Oh, and I got yourvoicemail at work--thanks for calling!

I feel silly, but I tried to see if he's intact,but Ihonestly can't tell if he's been neutered.I can see his bits, but they look and feel deflated. I'm assuming he's not though.

-Kathy

Aww he sounds like a doll!

Its really difficult to tell the age of bunnies. Maybe I can come over and take a look- you can tell usually by the nails and the teeth an estimate of their age. Although with his poor nutrition I dont know how much info I could gain from the teeth. It sounds like he's not neutered- if you seehis bits like that, thenhes pulling his testicles into his body when you flip him. At his age though you'll want to see what the vet thinks about neutering. Obviously theres more of a risk and if he doesnt have any behavior problems it might not be worth it.

Glad you got my message-and glad you got the placemats! We'll have to keep stocking up on them this summer!

He's adorable! I'm glad you were able to take him in! My boy Max lived in a detached garage before he came to live with me and I brought him inside straight away too. The only thing you'll have to deal with is that he is going to go through the "mother" of all moults :shock:. Max has been seriously shedding for about 1 1/2 weeks now, I've never seen anything like it. He doesn't have mites or anything, I was told that this is a reaction to being in a climate controlled house. Keep your Furminator handy! :D

Latest posts

Back