Need advice, Dopey is not eating & hasn't pooped in 5 hours

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dquesnel wrote:
Hi, it is really your choice whether to continue or not with the meds and laxatone. What the vet prescribed isn't the worst thing to do by far, but it also isn't the best. If it were my rabbit, and he were acting/eating/drinking like normal, I would *not* give him the meds. I would increase his veggies though, and add another dish of water to encourage drinking. But that is me, and your rabbit is different too. Also, we have a tendency to fear that the animal will relapse and we are at fault. However, if the animal relapses it likely it was meant to do that anyway especially if the cause was not addressed. SO when you are given conflicting advice, you should always go with what *your* instinct tells you since it is your rabbit and we can't see him.

It certainly won't hurt to contact the vet tomorrow and tell him your concerns and what you know right now. We often have to bounce ideas off our vets and help them learn new ways of dealing with a problem, as we learn more about rabbits we learn more about the care for them. Keep us posted on Dopey and any concerns you may have.

Love your info, Dques! Reiterates what I say, but more thorough, haha. Great post!:thanks:

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Love your info, Dques! Reiterates what I say, but more thorough, haha. Great post!:thanks:

I just laughed because we posted at the exact moment too. Great minds think alike, right? Well, not too sure about my mind, hah :ponder:

dquesnel wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:

I just laughed because we posted at the exact moment too. Great minds think alike, right? Well, not too sure about my mind, hah :ponder:
I said the same thing! About posting at the same time to my hubby!:) Maybe great minds do think alike and at the same time, lol!:) Cool we both noticed it!:shock:

Okay, so I called the vet this morning and spoke with his assitant. According to her, this has always been the treatment the doctor has presribed for "blocked" rabbits and never has any of their had a gut rupture from the medication. But I'm still stuck, I don't know what to do. I trust your opinions and advice on the subject, and at the same time what the doctor says. I didn't give Dopey the medication this morning. Tried to give him the Laxatone last night (before reading the posts) and he will not take it.

So as of right now I'm still stuck!

First of all what is he doing at this moment. Is he eating normally, is he drinking normally..is everything normal or is he still not pooping and eating everything?

Dopey seems to be back to normal. He is eating a lot of hay, his pellets, and his veggies. He is pooping and peeing like normal. I don't think he is drinking water of of his bottle, but I have placed a water bowl in his cage, which he is drinking out of. He is sleeping comfortably, he is alert and his acting like him self... he's even back to his routine of giving me kisses in the morning before I go to work.

then I would go out and get some syringes in order to mix small amount of pedialyte with water and syringe extra fluids. The pedialyte will make the water taste better. I would syringe small amounts (5ccs) frequently to get him really hydrated.I would also give him extra wet greens if he is already on a diet of greens., I would make sure that he hasplenty of hay. I also would give him a probiotic like benebac.

he doesn't need the meds now but needs to be kept really hydrated to keep his gut moving....
glad that he'"s better.........................

Merf wrote:
Dopey seems to be back to normal. He is eating a lot of hay, his pellets, and his veggies. He is pooping and peeing like normal. I don't think he is drinking water of of his bottle, but I have placed a water bowl in his cage, which he is drinking out of. He is sleeping comfortably, he is alert and his acting like him self... he's even back to his routine of giving me kisses in the morning before I go to work.

Sorry I just reread this post

if you are sure that he is drinking well from his bowl then you do not need to syringe water and pedialyte, however you could add a very small amount of pedialyte or even apple juice to the water to increase the intake. point is is to keep fluids going in.

hi

my bunny tyler had this prob , he recoverd from it the first time around but 6 months later it happened again and he didnt make it , as a precaution i took my other bunny bailey to my local vet(not my usual rabbit savvy vet) as his stools were very runny and the vet gave him a gut motility injection with out asking me first which i was not best pleased about nor did she explain why she gave it to him considering he was doing normal poos as well as the strange ones , thankfully it didnt do him any serious harm and after a visit to my usual vet who also said the injection was a no no , found out he just didnt agree with the pellet he was on and after a fibre paste a week living off just hay and then introducing a new pellet hes been fine ever since

sorry not much help as tyler never saw a vet as first time round he recovered with just tummy massages and lots of water and 2nd time it happened so quick there was no time to get him to vets , i personally think tylers was due to a bad diet though as i was very poorley educated on rabbits when i got him and he spent over 4 months of his life living off a bad rabbit mix in the pet shop which i continued with as i didnt no any better as well as thoughs rabbit popcorn sticks which ive since learnt are very bad for them , it was only after he got sick that i educated myself properly and changed his diet but after over 2 years of bad diet damage had already been done

Latest posts

Back