Necro has a couple of bald spots.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandieLee

Reaction score
Necro has been molting for the past 3 or 4 weeks now and he's still losing alot of fur. Both me and my boyfriend have been grooming him and everytime we do we pull out huge clumps of fur. He also has 2 bald spots right now- a really big one on his left shoulder/side and a smaller one in his neck/chest. I do have pictures; he was in the sink because he decided to roll around in his litterbox :X.

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

The one below is the smaller bald spot.

IMG_1420.jpg

And this picture shows just how much fur we actually pull out everytime we touch him.

IMG_1419.jpg

Is it normal to have blad patches like these when molting??

how hard are you pulling the fur? Most of the time you should only have to wet your hands and rub to get the loose stuff out.

Yeah, like the others have said, I wouldn't have wet him. You should be able to just pluck it off him outside easily. I do it with Snuff all the time. Best of luck, not sure about the bald spots:?. Poor baby.

We don't have to pull hard at all- the fur comes out in clumps very easily. We didn't wet him to groom him. He decided to roll around in the litter box, so he was kinda smelly... We actually noticed that bald spot upon wetting him, so I'm not sure if the bald spot was there before his bath or is a result from it. :?I agree, though, that maybe a bath during a molting period (or at all unless it's absolutley necessary)isn't the best idea. How long should I wait for the fur to grow in before I get him to the vet for some tests?

As always, thanks for the replies guys! :)

I've given them a bald spot before - Clover's fur comes out so easy as she begins to molt that she would be bald all over if I didn't let her just molt! Bo has to have some help and Tony - he hardly molts at all..... weird.

Anyhow, you should see new fur within the next 5 to 6 days I would think. Watch him for heavy flaking.... that's what I am doing with Bo right now. He has one tiny bald spot on his butt - enough to worry me.

If I pull on Muffin's fur too much, or even use the Furminator too much, she gets bald spots like that. It's really hard to know when you've gone too far (past the edges of where the new fur has grown in) until you see the baldness! I'd only worry if it doesn't come back in in a few days, like others have said. And I think the best way to prevent that from happening is just to keep a close eye on 'em when you're plucking or brushing--the old furmay come out easily before the new fur has grown in, and you just need to watch the edges so as soon as you see bare skin or really really short new fur, you stop plucking. But don't worry, I know just how easy it can be to give your bunny naked spots!

If it doesn't grow back in a week or so and it all keeps on falling out like that, it could be something else and then I'd go to the vet to make sure everything's ok.

Back