Neatherland Breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaded_bunny

Reaction score
I've got a question I have a black otter *silver martin?* neatherland buck who has been living in my spare room and beating up my dog for the past several months. My mom resently had an abandoned gray chin doe come to live with her. I was wondering if there are any neatherland breeders out there who could tell me the possible outcome of putting them together

I'm assuming you mean just "Silver Marten"because there is no such color as an Black Otter Silver Marten (not possible - has to be one or the other).
Tan at the nape of the neck would be an otter, white at the nape of the neck would be silver marten. Photos would really help, so we can be certain of their color.

The most likely color you'll get is Chinchilla.Silver Marten is the second most likely color (It depends on what the Chin is carrying in the "A" series. The Chin's "A"agouti gene is dominant over the Silver Martens "At" tan pattern gene).

Many other colors may also be possible (including albino, smoke pearl marten, sable marten, sable, sable point) depending on what recessive genes the pair may be carrying.

You can rule out any full "C" colors such as tortoise, chestnut agouti,lynx, opal, otter, fawn or orange because neither of your rabbits carries the genes to produce those varieties.

Personally, I would not risk the doe's health by mating her if you are not breeding for a particular purpose.

Pam

Any idea how old the doe is? Pam, if I'm not mistaken aren't there greater risks for does having their first litter when they are older?

Definately have a vet do a thorough check on her before she's bred. And be prepared for potential health problems from the pregnancy/birth. Dwarf rabbits tend to have peanuts- a type of genetic runt that usually dies, and they may be more likely to have stuck kits because of the mom's small size. Like Pam said, it's best not to risk breeding unless you are breeding for a purpose such as improving herd genetics of show rabbits, etc.

naturestee wrote:
Any idea how old the doe is? Pam, if I'm not mistaken aren't there greater risks for does having their first litter when they are older?

Definately have a vet do a thorough check on her before she's bred. And be prepared for potential health problems from the pregnancy/birth. Dwarf rabbits tend to have peanuts- a type of genetic runt that usually dies, and they may be more likely to have stuck kits because of the mom's small size. Like Pam said,it's best not to risk breeding unless you are breeding for a purpose such as improving herd genetics of show rabbits, etc.

Correct -- there are more risks with older doe especially in maiden does. Fat builds up around the reproductive organs and benign uterine tumors which can cause birthing problems are also common in older does.

Pam

I'm a little confused :?...

Are they BOTH Nethies? or is your buck the Nethie and the doe a Chinchilla colored mix breed?

Personally, I would not risk the pairing without knowing the doe's age and history (both physical history & ancestral history).

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back