NB: Mini Rex Baby Help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massie777

Reaction score
So I posted on another thread how one of my rescue female mini rex's gave birth to 6 babies. Well they are doing good and all have their eyes open. They are two weeks old today.

Well we got a female flemish in didn't think she was pregnant at all. She gave birth two days ago to 7 babies, they where all on the wire and all cold. She also started eating one of them. She had made no nest and pulled no fur. I was able to get one of the babies to come alive and it is doing fine.

I have the one flemish baby in with the litter of mini rex that are two weeks old do you think this is alright? Also I have here feeding the baby flemish twice a day by itself but I am afraid that mom doesn't have any milk left. He sucks on her but never gets a full belly. How do i tell if mom has milk? I tryed to flip her over and milk her which I have done to other bunnies but nothing came out.

Could she be out of milk even though she still has two week old babies? I am free feeding her pellets and hay. Please someone help me, I don't want her two week old babies to die. Should I try feeding them some KMR?

Any advice would be great, I am usually really good with baby bunnies but this week has been really stressful with the lose of the flemish babies, i don't want to lose her babies too.

I commend you for saving the one baby! I hope one of our rabbitry mods can give you some good advice for the momma, to keep every one of them healthy and well fed.

I just got home and checked on the babies. The little baby flemish passed away. I think it got too cold out last night. The other 6 mini rex are doing good but still don't have big bellies, They are more flat. I am still debating if I should syringe feed them. Would deff love some imput from people who have either had to do this for babies this old or maybe someone who has had a mom that ran out of milk so quickly. Thanks

All I know is that currently the best supplemental formula out there for rabbits is KMR. So sorry about the Flemish litter. :(

The baby will be alright with the Mini Rex litter, mini rex will be feding it to.
I had my N.Dwarf foster 3 flemish kits, they were smaller but they were fine.

The Flemish should be fine. I once fostered Flemish to a Holland and I know someone who fostered Giant Chins to a Holland.

I'm sorry for your loss - your best bet is to try to get mama to do an extra nursing. Whenever I have to care for rabbits I use this recipe by Dana Krempels

Formula recipe

* fresh, whole goat milk - 1/2 cup
* KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer by PetAg) - 1/2 cup
* lyophilized (freeze dried) colostrum - contents of 10 capsules, or 1-1.5 Tablespoons
This is available at most high-quality health food stores, either in bulk powder form, or in capsules. It's expensive, but will give the babies their best head start.
* heavy cream - 3 cc (a cc is the same as one ml, or milliliter), equal to about 1/2 teaspoon

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html

That website also tells how much to feed in each feeding (near the bottom of the page)

Latest posts

Back