NB!! Lactating Doe Near Mesa, AZ per chance?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Somebody has a new rescue bunny that unbeknownst to her (and apparently everyone else) came to her already pregnant.

She gave birth to four kits last night. She didn't pull anyhair, make a nest and she's not appearing to be lactating.

The owner took the works to the vet, who suspects she won'tlactate. The owner is now trying to hand feed KMR with an eyedropper.

If anybody has a doe that can foster the babies, or any good advice forthis poor woman (I think this is her first rabbit, although she's agood researcher), please post or email me!

sas

I hope she is able to find some help.Personally, although I often foster in my own barn, I've never hadsuccess bringing in emergency cases from other places and fosteringthem - the kits always died. There is also the concern oftransmitting disease between the foster doe and litter.

Also - the does milk won't come in for a few days (she would beproducing colostrum now), so her mammary glands may not appearfull. Manual milking often won't produce results if the doeis tense and the hormones don't signal the "let down"response. It's possible that she will produce.

Another issue to keep in mind at this time of year, is that we aregoing into winter breeding syndrome season, where it is not unusual forapparently healthy litters to die shortly after birth.

She should continue to attempt hand feeding. Care must be taken so that the kits do not aspirate the formula.

Here's a good article that may be helpfulhttp://islandgems.net/handfeeding.html

I wish her luck - please keep us updated . . .

Pam

Great info (as always), thanks Pam.

She's asking if she should maybe leave the smallest and weakest in withthe mom to see if it will stimulate her milk or motheringinstincts. (She doesn't expect the little one to make it,anyway).

Thoughts?

sas

It would most likely be helpful to leave thekits with the doe if she isn't too stressed to the point where she maypossibly injure the kits.

If she didn't make a nest, the kits may be very restless as they'll besearching for the doe's scent, which would signify their nest.

Pam

I would also advise to keep babies in the same cage as mom and keep it nice and quiet for her and babes.

I always build a little nest for the babies using hay and a shoe box(or if she can get ahold of a proper nest box, that's evenbetter). Compress the hay down nice and tight, leaving a goodfist sized pocket in the middle.

If mom has some loose fur, can she pluck a little fur? Ifnot, I've heard of using cotten balls for insilation, maybe just rubthe balls on mom before putting in the nest.

If I was looking after this mom, I would hand feed babes, but also tryto get mom interested in nursing. Hold her firmly but gentlyover the nest for 5 minutes 2 times a day. Hopefully thestimulation will encourage mom to produce milk. If the babiesseem to be getting anything from mom, I would hold off on the KMR, andlet them nurse off mom, even if you have to make her feed them.

I have yet to have a KMR fed baby survive, although I do know it is possible.

I wish her good luck, and let us know how she does.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back