Nasty Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

Rcottle161

Reaction score
Thank
well i have girl bun that was same when she was child,
she loved to destroy carpets (persian carpet and rugs are RLY expensive one) and if during this anyone tried to hold her , she jumped and bite.
this all fixed after fixing her,
today i kinda miss those days when she was teenage and had that much energy and joy,
now her fun is sit in corner all days and those chews and bites are happen very rarely.
for me they are really like humand child , they have some much energy and usually end up with game that is not GOOD and they wont listen to anyone ,
back then only thing kept her from destroying carpet was cover those corners she like , or try to play with her with toilet rolls , she will push them back ,and you keep throw it in front of her untill she forget about carpet , but yep dont even try to pick her up during her fun chewing or you end up bleeding .
but covering those corners that she target will solve problem for some time until she find another game for herself ,
but im telling you this you gonna miss This much energy from her after she became adult and fixed.
@rabbit_friend sorry to hear about your bun :( mine now is just like your old friend, when i start petting her she will lick my other hand and arm like its cake , SO fast and So hard
i cant even imagine one day i gonna lose her ,
Thabk you for four reply.

Glad I'm not alone with the destructive problem! As much as I hate that, it's her foul attitude I'm most worried about!

No I don't even ATTEMPT picking her up, I'm not that brave, and I ride horses! Lol

I certainly won't miss the energy, and certainly not the disgusting attitude for sure!! I just want her to be tolerable or even better a pet worth having, she's just so horrible :(

roytaa

Reaction score
Thank

Thabk you for four reply.

Glad I'm not alone with the destructive problem! As much as I hate that, it's her foul attitude I'm most worried about!

No I don't even ATTEMPT picking her up, I'm not that brave, and I ride horses! Lol

I certainly won't miss the energy, and certainly not the disgusting attitude for sure!! I just want her to be tolerable or even better a pet worth having, she's just so horrible :(
well maybe i love nasty xD

Attachments

• 4667pn2ds.jpg
    4667pn2ds.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 0

rabbit_friend

Reaction score
First, rabbits aren't ”horrible with no excuse” and “cruel for no reason.”

Second, you say it took months to turn some of your horses around, but you only talk about avoiding this rabbit, not working with her for months. And I assume hormones weren't an issue with the horses, as they are with this rabbit.

If you genuinely would like to work this out with her, then post some pictures of her setup and the room she's allowed in, so we can maybe spot something that is triggering her. Also, I never picked up my aggressive bunny because I wanted to do everything possible to make her feel secure around me. I would put her carrier in front of her and gently urge her into it (using a low fence made of grid squares to corral her if necessary). You have to always, always keep in mind that these are prey animals and so they see things very differently from other animals.

As for the hormones, they are a powerful driving force. My previous large girl bunny was a stray a colleague found in her yard, and when she hit puberty she was unstoppable. She jumped up on a high bed and tore a very expensive duvet cover. She circled my feet, growling and nipping, and tore a couple of longish skirts I was stupid enough to wear around her. I found her in our fireplace one day—she had found her way through the mesh curtain and jumped up on top of the gas logs. I have a picture of that and the camera gave her red eyes, which I thought was appropriate 😄 But I understood it was hormones, and youthful mischief, and it all changed after her spay.

But one thing I never did was think about or talk about these two aggressive, large bunnies the way you do about yours. Honestly, with the way you talk about her, your feeling about just “burning” more money on her, and even the title you chose for this thread, I would find a rabbit rescue to take her in immediately so that they can spay her and start her on a better path. Trying to rehome her to someone else who may react the same way and balk at the cost of spaying her will just doom her to a miserable life.

rabbit_friend

Reaction score
I will add that my vet of many years recently quoted me $500 for a neuter (which you know as a vet nurse is cheaper than a spay). I found a low-cost spay/neuter clinic two hours away that charged $70 ($110 for a spay), which I would gladly have driven to, but then also found a local mobile vet who charged $140. So if you aren’t concerned about it leading to hurt feelings at your workplace, I'd check around. Call vets asking if they know of low-cost spay options for rabbits or if they do them. A specialty exotics vet I use 2 hours away was the one who told me about the $70 clinic, after 6 other vets said they didn't know of any. But do be sure it is someone who is proficient at and knows about rabbit surgery—a traumatized or injured rabbit after a spay will only make matters worse! Good luck.

Rcottle161

Reaction score
First, rabbits aren't ”horrible with no excuse” and “cruel for no reason.”

Second, you say it took months to turn some of your horses around, but you only talk about avoiding this rabbit, not working with her for months. And I assume hormones weren't an issue with the horses, as they are with this rabbit.

If you genuinely would like to work this out with her, then post some pictures of her setup and the room she's allowed in, so we can maybe spot something that is triggering her. Also, I never picked up my aggressive bunny because I wanted to do everything possible to make her feel secure around me. I would put her carrier in front of her and gently urge her into it (using a low fence made of grid squares to corral her if necessary). You have to always, always keep in mind that these are prey animals and so they see things very differently from other animals.

As for the hormones, they are a powerful driving force. My previous large girl bunny was a stray a colleague found in her yard, and when she hit puberty she was unstoppable. She jumped up on a high bed and tore a very expensive duvet cover. She circled my feet, growling and nipping, and tore a couple of longish skirts I was stupid enough to wear around her. I found her in our fireplace one day—she had found her way through the mesh curtain and jumped up on top of the gas logs. I have a picture of that and the camera gave her red eyes, which I thought was appropriate 😄 But I understood it was hormones, and youthful mischief, and it all changed after her spay.

But one thing I never did was think about or talk about these two aggressive, large bunnies the way you do about yours. Honestly, with the way you talk about her, your feeling about just “burning” more money on her, and even the title you chose for this thread, I would find a rabbit rescue to take her in immediately so that they can spay her and start her on a better path. Trying to rehome her to someone else who may react the same way and balk at the cost of spaying her will just doom her to a miserable life.
Maybe they aren't cruel for no reason, but I have dealt with animals who are qnd she sure seems like it.

Also yes I have worked with horses for months including hormonal mares, I am aware hormones can play a big part bit part of my original question was how strong they are in severe cases with rabbits. I have known mares that hardly change through a season and mares you dare not work with in this time. I have spoken of avoiding her rather than working with her as it is the truth, I didn't come to be shamed for avoiding her and have been reassured that this could very well have been the best option while her hormones were running rampant.

I could upload photos but as I have been advised she is down to her own smaller private area and run so while she is restricted I don't see much point until she has been spayed and I can rule hormones out for good.

I am well aware of a spay cost and variation around practises, and I also knew it was something I'd have to do as part of a pet owner, yet as part of my original question was if the spay would change her that much to the point of changing her personality.

It would be burning pointless money if she wasn't likely to change because its rocky times for everyone at the moment and if the liklihood was slim of her changing then I wouldn't be able to keep her in my house any longer. Thankfully others have suggested how much spaying can change personality so we have booked her in to give her a chance.

I didnt come here to get shamed into the honesty of which I have spoken about our issue, even if I did expect a few negative replies, i wanted rehoming as a last port of call and advice as to what was causing this behaviour and whether a spay would reduce it. but if you have kept and cared for around 50 of a species, had them spayed, seen little difference then you have a demon shredding you home, limbs and not allowing you to move around the room I'm sure you'd be concerned that it wasn't hormones too. I'd count this as nasty behaviour, whatever is causing it, hence the title. I also have no problem spaying and paying the cost, but I don't want to use what little we currently have if she was just neurotic and not hormonal. I also wouldn't be taking her to a rescue as ours are at capacity it'd be private rehoming, but like I said we won't be rushing to do that thanks to the helpful experience of people on this thread, i must've been pretty lucky in my past rabbit experience.

Rcottle161

Reaction score
I will add that my vet of many years recently quoted me $500 for a neuter (which you know as a vet nurse is cheaper than a spay). I found a low-cost spay/neuter clinic two hours away that charged $70 ($110 for a spay), which I would gladly have driven to, but then also found a local mobile vet who charged $140. So if you aren’t concerned about it leading to hurt feelings at your workplace, I'd check around. Call vets asking if they know of low-cost spay options for rabbits or if they do them. A specialty exotics vet I use 2 hours away was the one who told me about the $70 clinic, after 6 other vets said they didn't know of any. But do be sure it is someone who is proficient at and knows about rabbit surgery—a traumatized or injured rabbit after a spay will only make matters worse! Good luck.
Thank you for this advice though, they can vary so much and even as a vet nurse I've NO idea why, some practises are CLEARLY money making, but $500?!?!? thankfully mine isn't pricey, we're just feeling the pinch with the cost of living as everyone is that I'm having to stay up and work a second job half the night too which Is making my tolerance even less 😫😫😩 expensive place to live down south uk!