nasty female

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doolie_82

Reaction score
I'mnot sure whats wrong with my rabbit, since she had her dead babies in Feb she been very hostile to us, it was slow to begin with but now its all the while.

When you manage to pick her up she's fine, but whenI feed her she attacks me and kicks the bowl out of my hand and then thefood ends up on the floor.

My Fiance was tidying up her cage a bit yesterday and she attacked him quite a bit, drewn blood on his hand, and kept growling, she did this to me this morning whenI fed her. I managed to get near her to stroke her but she kept growling.

I'm worried as shes pushing me away in my heart, and I know she will end up like Ebony who became nasty like Zorro is now and she died at 11 months old and I didnt even know, my brother found her stiff.

Would getting her spayed help? as I'm starting to wish I'd never had her.

When I brought Lumi home from the animal shelter, I separated her from her 3 month old kits. She was lost, sad, scary and angry. We found out Nilla, who we adopted at the same time was a boy and not a girl like we were told. I scheduled her for surgery first (in 2 weeks time) with Nilla going in the week after.

Lumi loves me now, and even with how unstable her life is with us moving so much, she's still a pretty laid back bunny. She's being fostered by Rosie (maherwoman) and after a couple days she was already relaxed enough to do the dead bunny flop.

Spay her, it might help. It'll take time though. Don't expect a rabbit to come around. She might, she might not but it'll take time. Just accept her with how she is.

I also had a rescue named Princess. Rudest, meanest rabbit I ever laid eyes on. With what she's been through, I'm not surprised. I accepted her as a brat. 4-5 months later, she was finally starting to come around before she died unexpectantly. She wasn't spayed. She was finally learning to trust me and play nice.

Don't ask anything of your animals and they'll surprise you.

she was lovely when i first had her, we used to hold her everyday and she loved being stroked, but now if you go near her she growls. she has been drinking alot of water, more than normal.

I never know what to say in posts like this as I don't have any advice to offer...but I hope things change and I will be keeping you in my thoughts. It would break my heart if my bun started acting like that... :(

Are you sure that she's healthy, if your rabbit is injured or sick that would affect her personality.

Try taking her to a vet for a checkup.

I hope things get better!

Just a thought, but aggression can be a sign of illness/something being wrong, so it might be a good idea to get her checked out by a vet just in case there is something underlying maybe....

Other than that, what Okiron said: Spaying her could definately help, and just giving her time to come round.... Maybe also try and clean out her cage and put food in it etc when she's not in it if you can, in case it's cage aggression (or does she do it when she's out to play?)...

How old was she when you bred her( or was bred) Spaying will help( it isn't cheap). Aggresssivness is generally tied to hormones. I have a brood doe who is only nice when she has a litter. When the kits hit about 5 weeks she starts getting nasty again. I leave her kits with her till 6-8 weeks of age.

Lias_ark wrote:
How old was she when you bred her( or was bred) Spaying will help( it isn't cheap). Aggresssivness is generally tied to hormones. I have a brood doe who is only nice when she has a litter. When the kits hit about 5 weeks she starts getting nasty again. I leave her kits with her till 6-8 weeks of age.
Lol maybe because I've been to the vet so often for so many different things but to me, $150-200 for a vet visit just sounds so affordable. Heck, I would love a bill that small lol.

I know I'm in a different area to you, but I paid £57.50 to get my girls spayed, down in Bristol, so I'd expect something around that price (that included a post-op follow-up, but not pain meds, which were £7 I think).... I think that works out to be £120 dollars or something over there?!

I've heard so many bad things about Pets At Home, yet the one near me is really good and knowledgeable about rabbits... :?

She could be on her way to a false pregnancy with the drinking more than normal and aggression. I definitely think she is hormonal and spaying would help. Just keep a very good eye on her in case, because it can also be a sign of illness. Does she try to hide? Rabbits that are in pain will often look for ways to hide. I hope she gets better soon :)

when i go to pick her up she runs into her house. i think i will ring the vets to get her a check up as she hasnt been checked over since having the babies eventhough i rang them and they said dont bring her in.

okiron wrote:
I couldn't put it more perfectly.

I agree that spaying her would definitely help, as would getting her checked out. Making sure it isn't a health issue first is always a good thing, especially since she wasn't checked out since having the kits. Never know, could be a urinary thing, or something like that. Pain makes one kinda crazy.

If you find out it's not a health issue...just give her time and the space she needs. My Maisie is really agressive in general, as is my Trixie (well, Trixie's more of a diva). Both of them are definitely the dominant buns of the household. I just take my animals for who they are, and don't ask for anything else.

That's not to say that you're wrong for wishing she would be cuddly sweet...that's totally natural and perfectly understandable. It'll take time, but if you find out there's nothing wrong with her health, and bring her home and expect her to be who she is (an agressive, dominant girl), then one day she just might warm up to you.

She could be scared of something, or maybe just afraid to open up to anyone after her experience. Who knows?

All I know is, if you give a bun time, they'll surprise you with love. It might show in ways you weren't expecting...but it'll come out. She knows you love her, and though it doesn't seem like it, appreciates the wonderful home you've given her and the things you do for her everyday.

One think you can try is sitting on the floor, and opening the cage door and just letting her come out on her own. Read a book or do something that takes your attention off her...she just might come over and try to steal your book, or nudge your arm. I think all bunnies love attention...maybe her agression is kinda the way she thinks she can get it? (Again, not to say you don't give her attention...but maybe she's just mistaken about HOW to get it.)

Don't worry, Hun...take her in, get her checked out, get her spayed...and most of all, be sure to give her the time and space she asks for. She'll come around somehow...and if she doesn't, just accept that as her.

Hugs to you...I know it's rough...but hang in there, Hun...:hug:

maherwoman wrote:
okiron wrote:
I couldn't put it more perfectly.

I agree that spaying her would definitely help, as would getting her checked out. Making sure it isn't a health issue first is always a good thing, especially since she wasn't checked out since having the kits. Never know, could be a urinary thing, or something like that. Pain makes one kinda crazy.

If you find out it's not a health issue...just give her time and the space she needs. My Maisie is really agressive in general, as is my Trixie (well, Trixie's more of a diva). Both of them are definitely the dominant buns of the household. I just take my animals for who they are, and don't ask for anything else.

That's not to say that you're wrong for wishing she would be cuddly sweet...that's totally natural and perfectly understandable. It'll take time, but if you find out there's nothing wrong with her health, and bring her home and expect her to be who she is (an agressive, dominant girl), then one day she just might warm up to you.

She could be scared of something, or maybe just afraid to open up to anyone after her experience. Who knows?

All I know is, if you give a bun time, they'll surprise you with love. It might show in ways you weren't expecting...but it'll come out. She knows you love her, and though it doesn't seem like it, appreciates the wonderful home you've given her and the things you do for her everyday.

One think you can try is sitting on the floor, and opening the cage door and just letting her come out on her own. Read a book or do something that takes your attention off her...she just might come over and try to steal your book, or nudge your arm. I think all bunnies love attention...maybe her agression is kinda the way she thinks she can get it? (Again, not to say you don't give her attention...but maybe she's just mistaken about HOW to get it.)

Don't worry, Hun...take her in, get her checked out, get her spayed...and most of all, be sure to give her the time and space she asks for. She'll come around somehow...and if she doesn't, just accept that as her.

Hugs to you...I know it's rough...but hang in there, Hun...:hug:
Thanks. :big wink:

Latest posts

Back