Naming buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d0tti

Reaction score
So my beloved Herman is now a female (had thought i had two boys), I am not sure what to call her. Her buddy, Austin, I am not even sure of his name now. What lead you to name your bunnies? Was it a hard decision?

Whoops! We say the bunny had a visit from the gender fairy when that happens :) No harm done though as long as you keep Herman well away from Austin since they can mate in seconds!

If you want to change Herman's name, maybe Hermina or Hermione?

As for my own bunnies, some were really hard to name and some were really easy. Rory, Maximus, and Kerensa were super easy- I had Rory's name picked out at least 5 years before I got him, and Kerensa about a year. Maximus was the only name I really considered for my little Max, the name came into my head when I saw him so he was basically named immediately. Ned and Skyler took forever to name though and the others were somewhere in between.

I like Hermione :)

Sherlock and Watson were almost Batman and Robin, but I decided Sherlock and Watson were a little more grown up of me. Then it took me another 2 days to decide which bun was which!

I'd been wanting to name a pet "Gaz" for YEARS (after my favorite character from Invader Zim) - I'd originally picked the name for my kitty, thinking she'd grow into it, but she never did - that's how Gazzles got her name. Nala got her name 'cause I was having trouble thinking of one... she's a lionhead and I loved "the lion king" as a kid. not very creative, but it works :p

Alice was probably the hardest just because she's my first bunny.. Took me about a week to finalise it! Bella was the easiest just because I loved that name and said if I ever got another girl she would be called Bella :) Buckley was pretty easy to because again I said if I ever had a make bunny I'd call him Bucky or buck then Buckley came to me :) Bonita was the first name that came to me when I saw her because it mean beautiful in Spanish and she is beautiful :) Caseu was quite hard, she had a few names before Casey was finalised but I called it because it means brave and she is brave! And Walter because he is a Walter!
I think hermoine is cute :) or Hermarni and call her Marni for short? Or maybe call her a babe completely different? :)

My son was obsessed with the movie "Despicable Me". Agnes was the cute little girl in the movie. So he wanted to name this little black fuzzball either Agnes, Firefly or Bumblebee (haha, no idea where he got the other two names) and because Agnes was a human old lady type name it just seemed to fit this adorable bun :)
When we adopted her husbun we wanted to stay with the human "old sounding name" and stay with the same letter. Archie fits Archie perfectly!!

So, I like unique names OR human names for rabbits. So I think Hermione is really cool. Or even Hermina or Harriet or Hilary or Helga!!! :)

I really like Hermione, but then again I am a Harry Potter fan since my two are Phoenix and Hippogryff.

I didn't plan on having it like that. When I found Phoenix, I nursed her back to health so I named for her transformation and rebirth.
Hippogryff came to us with the name Hippo, and at 5 years I wouldn't dream of changing it too drastically, we had been watching Harry Potter during that time too and the name stuck so they are mythical creatures :)

As for names I agree, I do like serious people names.

I will love him and squeeze him and call him...

so I did even though my nephew wanted to name the rabbit Wong Fu: Ninja Bunny. And then it turned out George was a crossdresser. So she's still George with flavors of Georgie and Georgia. And sometimes Ms. George if she's being flutty. Ms. Herman might work but Hermie is kind of cute too. Then again Hermione is lovely with smart associations.

I named my hamsters names starting with B for the longest time. Bunny, Boots, Bubbles, Butters, Button, Blaze!y, Booth, Braver, Beatrice, Bonzai and Bif while Nibbits, Nubbins, Mama Bear and Wiggles flew in under the radar. Aaargh! the one eyed hamster for obvious reasons. And the boys were Ralph, Prince Albert in a can and Max. Usually the names came to me within a day or two of having them just because they fit. If I try to think of one before hand it's always really hard to come up with anything and it never sounds right once I've got the pet anyway. It's as if animals come with preattached names and we just have to figure out what they are :)

Houdini was named by my ex and it seems a popular bunny name. He is actually the great escape artist and can jump, given the chance, over nearly anything given his size. I once got up in the morning and forgot to cover their enclosure which is quite high, around 4 feet and he managed to jump over and when I came in the living the next morning, it looked like a tornado had hit us. The worst thing was he had actually encouraged Bandy to follow him....afterwards, I must admit, everytime I thought about it, I laughed out loud imaging him sitting on the TV unit egging the other one on. Snowy wa so white and fluffy when he came and Bandy (Bandido), well he actually Bandida as we thought he was a little girl but it stuck when he turned out to be a boy. I laughed though when my mum came out to see me and met them for the first time. As Bandy is quite a lot bigger than the other two, she couldn´t remember his name and kept calling him Jumbo...I actually nearly changed his name but I do like Bandy so it stays. However, I´m sure when she comes to visit again, he´ll be back as Jumbo lol.

Just wait for their little personalities to come out. somethings just come in time. It took me an hour to name Shya. She just had an "S" type personality. There is nothing shy about her but it suits her. Kai was born and bred in Germany so I wanted to give him a German name. It took us a whole week to decide on Kai. My cat Booger was a complete **it head when I got him as a kitten. I babysat to much to be cussing so booger stuck. Circumstance and personality. If bun already knows and comes to Herman you may very well be stuck with a variation.

I named my lionhead Tasmanian Devil (Taz) because she's a funny little devil! :) Cocoa was named for her coloring, as for Ruby, I just thought of it when I first saw her, and Pockets...I don't really know how I thought of it!

I like Hermione a lot; especially since his old name was Herman! I'm a Harry Potter fan so I also think Dobby is cute! :) Personality was a big thing with my bunnies; we had chosen names for them, and then once we saw them and played with them, we often changed the names :)

Our names come from left field... Nemesis and Bruiser used to be Coco (on Nemi's pedigree) and Thumper. Some how Nemesis aka Nemi stuck, and Bruiser reminded me of the chihuahua from Legally Blonde somehow. :)

Swiffer had a sex change too, but thankfully, his name still works. He's a lionhead, and brown, so I thought of dust bunnies!

I think there's a Greek goddess who has a name similar to Herman... I don't remember her affiliation though.

Latest posts

Back