Naming Babies You Plan to Sell

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyFarmBunnies

Reaction score
In another post I was reading the other day, someone said how they name all of the babies in a litter with the same "theme name". Like all royals, all Ben & Jerry's flavors, etc. I am obsessed with naming things, so I would LOVE to do this (would be so much fun) but am wondering if it is a good policy? I mean I understand that the owner can call it whatever he or she likes but if it's on the pedigree it can't be budged. Is it more obnoxious to name everyone in advance, or is it better for record keeping? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this before I go and do something annoying.

Oooo, never thought of it that way >.< I usually name all of my kits as soon as I can tell them apart. I guess it wouldn't be as much of a problem with my latest litter as their names are a bit tamer, Sage, Basil, Tansy, and Clover. But the other litter I have at the moment is five weeks old and I'm still not sure who I'm going to keep. Their names are Zombie and Mad Hatter, hehe wonder what the new owners would think :lookaround

A little of both I think. I absolutely love naming things but it also helps me keep up with whos who, who I'm keeping, and which kit belongs to which litter. Because if I know the kit's name is Zombie, I know its not from the litter where I named them all after plants :)

If you want to name them, go ahead. It can help you tell them apart and gives you something to call them.
What you could do is offer the buyer the chance to give them the name on the pedigree. You would still get your rabbitry name on it, but they can choose the rest of it. This would only apply to rabbits under a certain age (like maybe 12 week) and after that you pick the pedigree name.

For me, the name on the pedigree doesn't mean much to me. Lillian, my giant angora, is named Elaine on her pedigree, but her breeder called her Sweets. I am getting 2 tans in about a week and a half who are registered, so I can't change the pedigree names, but I am still going to call them what I want.

One thing that does bug me about some breeders is that they don't name some rabbits. The name on the pedigrees is just the tattoo number. This can be fine for young rabbits (like under 12 weeks or so), but seems odd for adults. To me, it doesn't seem that hard to come up with a name, even if it isn't really the best name ever.

Buyers, especially people wanting pets, will call the rabbit whatever they want. Some might keep the given name if they like it.

I name all my babies, weird names like Laughing Octopus (im obsessed with MGS game)
The names I name them are there pedigree names but the buyers can change the name but not the pedigree name.

What I usually do is ask the new owners what they want them to be called and call them by this from about 4 weeks on (when I feel more confident they will make it)
If they don't already have an owner lined up then I name them myself.
I leave the pedigree name open to the owner if they are babies but if it is an adult I name it what I want.
I think NOT naming them is worse, it's like they aren't even live creatures!

My rabbit's pedigree name is Theo but I call him Freddie :)

If they are coming with Peds you may choose to name them to keep your records straight, or you can just put their ear tag# on their ped for their "name". Any new owner of the bun can call it what they choose but the name you list on the ped goes unchanged and is a point of reference if it is registered or shown with your rabbitry name as well. In example "Happy Farm's (buns name here)".

Harvy had his name already tattooed on him when I bought him from the breeder. I loved his name. She asked me if I wanted to change it before she sent me his pedigree and I said no. Unfortunatly he goes back to the breeder tomorrow.

Couple of our rabbits were already named on pedigree when we got them "Sunnybrook-----------"we just renamed or nicknamed them when we got them home. After all lots of things and people have "nicknames"

Cathy asked me what I wanted him to be named, and when I told her "Poe" she asked if I wanted it for his tattoo. I love that there is no way, if for some reason he got lost, that I wouldn't be able to identify MY little black bunny.

poe1.jpg

HappyFarmBunnies wrote:
I agree totally with naming adults, or anything over 12 weeks really. But I guess I'm wondering if it's obnoxious of me to name them what *I* want at birth and force the buyer to re-name it when they get it. I dunno.
It is defintely not obnoxious of you to do that. There are many breeders who name their rabbits and the name goes into the ear as well, since most rabbits do get tattooed before they are sold. Since you have ND's, you can't really tattoo a whole name into that tiny ear. You can name them whatever you want to, and if the buyer doesn't like it, they can call the rabbit whatever they want, but just the fact that it is *your rabbit from your rabbitry* gives you the right to name them as you please. Some breeders don't even name their babies and just give them some letters or numbers or a combination.

I like the idea of tattooing names in ears, but since I can't, with my rabbits I tattoo 4 letters. The first two are my rabbitry prefix, and the last two are letters from the rabbit's name that will give me a hint at what the rabbit's name is. For example, one of my bucks is Natty's Navasota. His tattoo is - - AV. (I won't share my rabbitry prefix because I don't want everyone to know it. Judges aren't supposed to know so that they don't know whose rabbits are whose.) So I know that his name has AV in it, and no other rabbit has those two letters to represent their name. This also helps in record keeping.

Well I am going to jump into this because I think it was my post that was being read...lol. CLUE which is her name and ear tattoo is actually getting called Clueless more often then not. I try not to name a rabbit unless I am going to keep it, if it comes prenamed I usually keep the name unless it's name is the ear tattoo number then I rename it. My newest does name is something like (the rabbitry name) S53 or something like that I call her Savannah.
My Siamese Satin Sahara just got her ear tattoo tonight and it is SAHR.

lelanatty wrote:
HappyFarmBunnies wrote:
I agree totally with naming adults, or anything over 12 weeks really. But I guess I'm wondering if it's obnoxious of me to name them what *I* want at birth and force the buyer to re-name it when they get it. I dunno.
It is defintely not obnoxious of you to do that. There are many breeders who name their rabbits and the name goes into the ear as well, since most rabbits do get tattooed before they are sold. Since you have ND's, you can't really tattoo a whole name into that tiny ear. You can name them whatever you want to, and if the buyer doesn't like it, they can call the rabbit whatever they want, but just the fact that it is *your rabbit from your rabbitry* gives you the right to name them as you please. Some breeders don't even name their babies and just give them some letters or numbers or a combination.

I like the idea of tattooing names in ears, but since I can't, with my rabbits I tattoo 4 letters. The first two are my rabbitry prefix, and the last two are letters from the rabbit's name that will give me a hint at what the rabbit's name is. For example, one of my bucks is Natty's Navasota. His tattoo is - - AV. (I won't share my rabbitry prefix because I don't want everyone to know it. Judges aren't supposed to know so that they don't know whose rabbits are whose.) So I know that his name has AV in it, and no other rabbit has those two letters to represent their name. This also helps in record keeping.

You need some Elops.

I don't care either way. If it comes with a name that makes it easy on me. if it don't I have themes with my rabbits that I'll stick with.

Mine probably wont leave with names tbh

HAHA. I love Ben & Jerry's I name my rabbits what I want to becuase it's a nice link to the litter, a form of classification for me, and other breeders will be able to tell automatically if the rabbits they have are related.

Like everybody said above. the new owner can re-name it as long as they DO NOT ALTER the actual name on the pedigree

I will say that tattooing the animals actual name in the ear is not something I would do(unless it was a pet) The judge will remember that particular rabbit and who owns it. One breeder had "yogurt" tattooed in the ear. Best to stay with your prefix and numbers

Thanks for the input everyone! I am still on the fence, but I might just try it out for fun on the next litter and see how it is received. I understand that a rabbit has to be tattooed in order to be shown, and right now we don't do that (for a number of reasons) so it might all be moot anyway, haha.

GorbyJobRabbits wrot

You need some Elops.

I don't care either way. If it comes with a name that makes it easy on me. if it don't I have themes with my rabbits that I'll stick with.

Mine probably wont leave with names tbh
Haha I wish I had room for them! Maybe one day...:)

I named my bunnies after the sailor scouts!
I loved sailor moon as a kid and as I had a litter of six, and my husband named one of them already, I had five to name. I wanted to name them something related to one another so I got; Moon, Mercury, Mars, Venus and Jupiter!

People like that you name them because you seem like you care more then "batch number 2, kit 5." Etc.

Kind of along this same idea,if you get a rabbit from a breeder and the name says something like Double dutch DDRGQ which is also his ear tag can i name him what I want as far as something like Double dutch Bugz or do i need to keep the DDRGQ in there with is. I have two new rabbit with names like that so I wasnt sure if I could name them or not,mainly so I could put a name on my website with there new names or should it stay just how it shows on the pedigree, the other is Double Dutch Blue Doe which I would call her Double Dutch Jasmine

Latest posts

Back