Name Your Camera

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've replaced my cameras since I last posted in this thread.

I now have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi
A Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2
and an iPhone 4

Nikon D5000
Canon SD 780 IS
And the newest addition, the only cell phone camera I've owned worth mentioning, 8MP camera on my Droid X.

i use a Nikon D300s
i got the stardard equipent for it
Nikon sb-900 speedlight
nikon MB-10 battery grip
nikon lenses 18-55 55-200 70-300 and the 50mm one (which i never use
alos have other lenses such as 500 mirror lens and a big 650mm -1300mm ( for bird spotting :))
plus typical filters

just for the record i had the D60 and great camera and yes still learning how to use its bigger brother

for the next few days(till friday) i have a little Pentax Optio E80(cheap little point and shoot) but sitting on the mantle waiting to be opened on friday, is a Nikon D3100 lol

Hi! I have a Canon PowerShot SX30.
I really like it. It's the best camera I've had so far.

The zoom is amazing - 35x, the pics are great quality and it's about as close to having an SLR as you can come.
I really like it and would definately recommend it to others.
It's great for taking pics of animals/pets - I've taken a tons of all my pets. :)
Thanks,
Pet_lover48

we have:

canon 7d with a 50mm prime lens 1.4 apeture (haha i don't really know the correct name of the lens)
and a sigma 10-22ml
Canon-EOS-7D_1.jpg

and in the film cameras i have:
holga 135bc
holga-135bc-15b-red-white-1.jpg

Baby holga 110 (takes 110 film and is absolutely miniscule)
110_purple.jpg

4 lens lomo camera (takes 4 shots per frame, prettty cool if you ask me)
ViewImage.aspx

and a konica minolta 500si film slr with a 35 to 70mm lens. i love it dearly
355973_090713155742_Minolta_Maxxum_400_SI.jpg

a canon canonet 28 from the 70s
cam1044b.jpg

and an underwater no brand pink and white lomo camera
g_VrsK.jpg

nb: i just ripped all these photos off the internet, haha

I use a Nikon D90..I'm going to name my camera..not sure what yet. My friends is Mr. Bingely, and another friend named theirs Ellie. I think I'll try and come up with a creative name. Any name suggestions for my camera are appriciated. :biggrin:

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
I use a Nikon D90..I'm going to name my camera..not sure what yet.
Ummm... OK. I don't think the title of this thread was meant to be taken quite that literally, but if giving your camera a name floats your boat, go with it. Welcome to the Camera Corner.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
..I'm going to name my camera..not sure what yet.

Had a good laugh at that. I never thought of giving a name to a camera. :biggrin2:
I know some people name their cars but not cameras.

No new camera for me yet. But I did buy some new Christmas presents for myself. With the Black Friday sales, I picked up some Pocket Wizards and a new 32 GB Compact Flash card.

I just bought a Nikon 3100 and the battery life... seems to leave a lot to be desired. Unless perhaps it's me, I'm down to like, one "bar" of battery life (from fully charged) in about an hour and a half. I'm not sure why, as it seems it should hold its charge for awhile. Maybe using too much flash (I have to confess, I've been playing around with the settings somewhat, but mostly using the "modes" and a lot of flash. I'm used to battery sucking cameras, but this seems a little ridiculous. Either I'm doing something wrong, or perhaps I got defective battery?

piperknitsRN wrote:
I just bought a Nikon 3100 and the battery life... seems to leave a lot to be desired. Unless perhaps it's me, I'm down to like, one "bar" of battery life (from fully charged) in about an hour and a half. I'm not sure why, as it seems it should hold its charge for awhile. Maybe using too much flash
The D3100 should be pretty good on battery. My D7000 is good for well over 1,000 shots between charges, and the D3100 shouldn't be too much worse. That would be at mostly daylight shots, with use of the rear LCD only occasionally to review pictures or set menus.

Of course, it's not the time which matters but the number of pictures you get out of a charge. How many pictures did you take in that hour and half?

Assuming the battery isn't defective, there are a few factors which will effect battery life significantly:
  • As you've recognized, the flash eats batteries, probably more than anything else.
  • Using the rear LCD screen reduces battery life, although not as much as flash. I had mentioned that in the other thread as a reason I prefer the top LCD screen on the larger Nikons. Reviewing pictures or accessing the menus will take energy.
  • The autofocus assist light and flash preview (a/k/a redeye reduction or modeling flash) both use a lot of battery, and both are annoying. Shut them off unless you absolutely need them for a given shot.
  • It takes energy to focus the lens, so if you're playing around a lot without actually taking pictures, that will effect battery life.
  • Use of the USB cord to download pictures. The USB link seems to use an unusual amount of battery. That's why I always download from the memory using a card reader built into the computer.
  • Insufficient charge time - you want to leave the battery in the charger for at least an hour after the charger stops blinking (or whatever your version of the charger does to indicate it's "done").
I'd also give the camera and battery a few charge cycles before you draw any conclusions. I'm not sure about the D3100, but I know the D7000 reads information from the battery and figures out how much life the battery has left. It needs a few cycles to "learn" about the battery characteristics before that estimate is accurate.

Ah, Mike, you're such a help! I am using a USB to download my pictures, and to be honest, I don't really know how many pictures I've been taking (I'd say around 200 this morning, give or take, maybe even more). I've been playing around with settings and using the LCD screen to do so ("Guide" mode) so that's probably draining the battery, too. I have made sure to fully charge the batteries before using it. I'll also turn off the autoflash red eye remover... My computer's on the older side (3 years) and I don't think I have a card reader :hiding: (It's a MacBook purchased in 2008), so I'm using a USB to download my pics--probably part of the reason it's taking so much battery life. And I've only charged the thing a couple of times so far... I heard you have to give it at least 5-10 charges before it reaches its maximum charge capacity.

Thanks for the input, as always!

Now... onto trying to figure out photoshop (I've got Elements 8, which was newer when my friend gave it to me several years ago, and I've just been too intimidated to use it).

MikeScone wrote:
piperknitsRN wrote:
I just bought a Nikon 3100 and the battery life... seems to leave a lot to be desired. Unless perhaps it's me, I'm down to like, one "bar" of battery life (from fully charged) in about an hour and a half. I'm not sure why, as it seems it should hold its charge for awhile. Maybe using too much flash
The D3100 should be pretty good on battery. My D7000 is good for well over 1,000 shots between charges, and the D3100 shouldn't be too much worse. That would be at mostly daylight shots, with use of the rear LCD only occasionally to review pictures or set menus.

Of course, it's not the time which matters but the number of pictures you get out of a charge. How many pictures did you take in that hour and half?

Assuming the battery isn't defective, there are a few factors which will effect battery life significantly:
  • As you've recognized, the flash eats batteries, probably more than anything else.
  • Using the rear LCD screen reduces battery life, although not as much as flash. I had mentioned that in the other thread as a reason I prefer the top LCD screen on the larger Nikons. Reviewing pictures or accessing the menus will take energy.
  • The autofocus assist light and flash preview (a/k/a redeye reduction or modeling flash) both use a lot of battery, and both are annoying. Shut them off unless you absolutely need them for a given shot.
  • It takes energy to focus the lens, so if you're playing around a lot without actually taking pictures, that will effect battery life.
  • Use of the USB cord to download pictures. The USB link seems to use an unusual amount of battery. That's why I always download from the memory using a card reader built into the computer.
  • Insufficient charge time - you want to leave the battery in the charger for at least an hour after the charger stops blinking (or whatever your version of the charger does to indicate it's "done").
I'd also give the camera and battery a few charge cycles before you draw any conclusions. I'm not sure about the D3100, but I know the D7000 reads information from the battery and figures out how much life the battery has left. It needs a few cycles to "learn" about the battery characteristics before that estimate is accurate.

piperknitsRN wrote:
Now... onto trying to figure out photoshop (I've got Elements 8, which was newer when my friend gave it to me several years ago, and I've just been too intimidated to use it).
Start a thread in the Camera Corner if you've got any questions. I use Photoshop CS5 here at home, but I have Elements 8 at the office, so I'm familiar with it.

I actually just received a new camera for an early birthday gift from my parents, mostly my mother was tired of seeing my blurry pictures on Facebook LOL

I now use a Olympus Tough TG-820

842896.jpg

Latest posts

Back