Naked Neck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starina

Reaction score
My bunny's neck is going bald. Right behind her head the "nape" I think. Is she moltingbecause it is so hot? She isn't patchy or anything, just on her neck.What do you guys think?

~Star~

Gosh, it could be one of several things. Could be fur mites, excessive scratching due to an irritant, or if she has a bondmate she could be getting over groomed for some reason. Or it could be a really heavy molt. I've never had one that lost fur like yours so I'm afraid I'm not much help. Of course your best bet would be to have her seen by the ole' rabbit savvy vet! Good luck in getting to the bottom of it.:goodluck

You might want to have a vet take a look at it. The nape of the neck is a common area for mites to reside. Heat and bacterial growth can also cause fur loss at the nape of the neck.

As lagadvocatementioned, over-grooming by a cage mate can result in fur loss.

Pam

i kind of have this problem w/ layla also. I mean she's not bald there, but I can see her pink skin right in the middle of the back of her neck. she never seems to scratch it or mind when i scratch/pet there. it might just be a thin spot of hair. but i'll definitely keep an eye on it as well

I really gave her a good look today during our cuddle time. It isn't like a HUGE bald spot, but I can see her baby skin a little bit. She doesn't have any mites or bites or anything. She doesn't have a cage mate, she is a single lady. She does have a mosquito bite on the back base of one of her ears. It has been VERY VERY hot lately, but I am going to keep an eye on her neck because I don't need a sick bunny.

~Star~

I wonder...Does anyone know if rabbits can get hot spots like dogs can? Does her skin look oozy or irritated there, or is it normal looking skin?

Both of my Lionheads have largebald spots under their mane. I was told this was normal for the breed. Is your bunny a lionhead by any chance?

gentle giants wrote:
I wonder...Does anyone know if rabbits can get hot spots like dogs can? Does her skin look oozy or irritated there, or is it normal looking skin?

It could be possible. Some breeds seem to be more prone to this condition (Angoras, French Lops).

Pam

Latest posts

Back