NAILS - quick is too close to the end......

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Not sure if this is for the infirmary or where it should go but I need advice.

Heidi's nails need trimmed and I have done them before - but for some reason now, the quick is too close to the end.... there is nothing really to clip without causing her to bleed. I was trying to do the little clips until I got them moved back, and caused her to bleed on 2 nails! :(

Is this common in babies? larger breeds? is there anything I can do?

Are they actually too long, or just sharp? Don't forget bigger rabbit = longer nails.

If they are already cut to the quick, you are doing great! Keeping them as close to the quick as possible will encourage the quicks to receed over time.

In the mean time, if Heidi will let you, you could try filing the sharp tips down with a nail file. It might take two people to help. Make sure to hold her nail still while you file so you aren't moving it back and forth much- she probably won't like that sensation.

I can only think that there are three possible reasons:

1) it is possble that her nails do not need cutting. How long are they? Are they very sharp/pointy or are they quite blunt?

2) that they went too long without cutting previously and the quick grew out very far. It could still be that they are working their way back and do not need cutting (maybe only a quick filing) for a little while.

3) geneticly your rabbit has long quicks and will always have longer nails than most. i doubt this one, but the experts can probablt jum in. I would think that you would get more quick on a large rabbit than you would a small one, but again I do not have first-hand experience there.

What do you think? Can you describe the nails?

take care,

J

Well, maybe they are just sharp, but they seem so long. I'll get her out and look and maybe take a picture later.

Latest posts

Back