Nailclippings...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idreaminglasscolor

Reaction score
So I have to bunnies, Goliath and Luna and i'm sooooo nervous to clip their nails but my vets cost flipping 12 bucks to do it... Both of them tolerate being held but Goliath randomly spazzes and flips about, any suggestions? I can't justify spending 24 bucks monthly or whatever. So... how do you guys do it? I get nervous I'll clip too far or they'll hate me... :( Help!

If their nails are white, then you should be able to see the quick easily. If they're dark, you can hold a light up to their nails and it will show where the quick is.

I'd work on teaching them to tolerate handling and not spazzing before introducing the clippers. Just pick them up every day, hold them the way you'd hold them to clip their nails (we've found nail clipping is a 2 person job. I get hubby to hold Gus's back to his chest so Gus's feet stick straight out in front of him, then I do the clipping), then just practice touching and holding their paws until they're comfortable with it. The idea is to make the paw touching a positive or neutral experience. Only when they're comfortable with it, then introduce the clippers.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Oh, and even though Gus tolerates (for the most part :p) nail-clipping, he still hates it and thumps at us or foot flicks us after it's done. So they'll probably try to tell you they hate you afterwards, but don't believe them. Just give them a treat and they'll forgive you. ;)

Rue

idreaminglasscolor wrote:
So I have to bunnies, Goliath and Luna and i'm sooooo nervous to clip their nails but my vets cost flipping 12 bucks to do it... Both of them tolerate being held but Goliath randomly spazzes and flips about, any suggestions? I can't justify spending 24 bucks monthly or whatever. So... how do you guys do it? I get nervous I'll clip too far or they'll hate me... :( Help!

Olive, my Holland lop, is small enough to flip on her back, between my knees (and even then she struggles up a bit and can be a pain in the neck to clip)--but she doesn't nip. Simon, my growing New Zealand White, is more of a pickle. He *really* doesn't like his feet touched. So I am going to have to do some feet-touching exercises with him before I attempt to clip his toenails. I have him sit on my lap and take a paw, but he nips at my hands and thighs when I try... so it can be a little bit of a hullaballo before anything's even clipped. Still, we try to make it as stress free as possible, taking breaks and time outs. Not the most efficient way to get them done--something like "doing it on bunny time." He's not dreadful, but he's not fun, and I really don't want a bloody finger, so we're going slow with this slowly and carefully without harming anyone.

I am able to sit in a chair with my bunnies flipped over in my lap. My left arm is cradling them with my hand holding the hair on the toe back and the other hand clipping. It takes some experience but not impossible. Holding rabbits on their backs is very calming. Most will fall asleep. Going slow is the key and you can even give special treats after a good experience. And remember its not bad if you quick them, they won't bleed to death. Just Have some quick stop handy to stop the bleeding.

Latest posts

Back